question about rash/allergy

Garv816

I've noticed each time for the last two years, when we go to the ocean I break out in a pink/red itchy bumpy rash on my arms, chest, and legs. Does anyone else out there get this and what do you do? I thought it was from the sunscreen but I don't think it is. I just remembered that I break out (ocean twice a year) and am a little worried about the cruise and ports. Help:rolleyes:

When I was on my honeymoon in Jamaica 16 years ago, I broke out in a very severe rash, and I had to seek medical attention. :eek: The cause, apparently, was from a reaction between the heat, the ocean, the chorine from the pool or hot tub, and the sunscreen. When we first arrived at the resort we were warned by the staff to always rinse off, either after being in the ocean and going in the pool or visa versa (obviously I wasn't paying attention). The idea is not to get too many interactions going on on your skin at one time. My rash almost looked like a second degree burn. Needless to say this put quite a damper on my honeymoon!:mad:

I'm not saying this pertains to you because you said nothing about chlorinated water, but you might want to try rinsing with fresh water and re-applying sunscreen if you are going from one type of water to another.

I've noticed each time for the last two years, when we go to the ocean I break out in a pink/red itchy bumpy rash on my arms, chest, and legs. Does anyone else out there get this and what do you do? I thought it was from the sunscreen but I don't think it is. I just remembered that I break out (ocean twice a year) and am a little worried about the cruise and ports. Help:rolleyes:

I don't get this just at the ocean, but I did contract something similar when we went to Italy. We were travelling in Italy for three weeks and it was quite hot. About three days after we arrived, I broke out in the pink/red itchy bumpy rash on my arms. It was a miserable three weeks. We stopped at many pharmacies and purchased many topical solutions, but none helped. Toward the end of the trip, arriving into Germany, the temperature dropped because it was raining, and the rash went away. I went to the doctor when we returned home, and he said without actually seeing the rash he couldn't be positive, but it sounded to him like "sun poisoning". And once you have it, you always have to be careful when you go in the sun, as you are more susceptible to acquiring it again. SO now I cover up when I go out into the sun.

Then had a reoccurrence in Tahiti in '03 after swimming in the pool for about 2 hours. So that substantiated what the doctor had told me. This time he did see the rash when I returned from Tahiti it was still very present. I used a gel with Aloe Vera, it worked really good.

Good luck!

I had it the first time we went to Hawaii. The doctor said it was a sun reaction and to watch my intake of pineapple. He said it makes some people sun-sensitive. I've never read that again anywhere else, but I figure a doctor in Hawaii would know.

Viv

Archived