Why Alaska?

funforsun

For me, this is a serious question. My DW wants to cruise Alaska. I don't see the attraction. I like the hot weather so I can sunbath on my balcony or by the pool. Looking at ice is something that I don't get.

So, I have come to the conclusion that because my DW wants to go, that we need to go. It would be more fun for me if I were able to sit out in the sun as well. Is it warm enough during the Alaska cruising season to sunbath? The rest will be fine with me if I can get my required UV rays for the week.

For me, this is a serious question. My DW wants to cruise Alaska. I don't see the attraction. I like the hot weather so I can sunbath on my balcony or by the pool. Looking at ice is something that I don't get.

So, I have come to the conclusion that because my DW wants to go, that we need to go. It would be more fun for me if I were able to sit out in the sun as well. Is it warm enough during the Alaska cruising season to sunbath? The rest will be fine with me if I can get my required UV rays for the week.

Pharmaguy,

As a Floridian, I will do my best to answer your question. If you go in the summer, you can lay out for some rays. It may be a little cool, but if you are determined you can do it.

Everyone should see Alaska once. It is more than looking at "ice". It is one of the country's last frontiers. You will see mountains, glaciers, rain forests, waterfalls, bears, and whales from the comfort of your balcony (which is a must for an Alaskan cruise).

For excursions, you can helicopter to the top of a glacier and drive a sled of dogs. You can fly in a floatplane and land on an isolated lake in the middle of nowhere. You can go to a salmon bake and enjoy wild salmon (not that farm raised stuff).

Indulge your wife. The trip will inspire you for a long time.

I also had reservations about an Alaskan cruise, but my husband always wanted to go...so we did. We cruised mid-August last year, and I'm sorry to tell you that much of the time spent on deck on sea days was spent in coats, gloves, and layers under that!

The days spent in ports were a bit warmer, but the glacier cruising days were cold and rainy.

I think it depends upon the weather the specific week(s) you are there. The residents we spoke with while in Alaska did say that it was one of their coldest summers last year. We knew another family that cruised early in June, and they had warmer weather than we did in August. However, they did still need jackets most days.

There were protected spaces on deck where you can view the scenery and keep warm. However, the best viewing spots will be out in the open, and it did get cold during our cruise.

Again, you could have great weather the week you choose to cruise...but, I think you should be prepared for the cold (and rain), just in case.

No one can guarantee you nice weather in Alaska (we happened to have a perfect week in Sept. 05, sunshine every day) but it is a must see. The glaciers are beautiful beyond description but diminishing every year.

I am not a hot weather fan but I did try the Caribbean just to say I had at least tried, so even though you don't "get it", humor DW and give Alaska a try. You might be surprised. And if you have sunny days, you can still lay out and soak up some rays. Those pool areas are pretty protected.

I have never cruised in Alaska, but have visited it on land. I also have relatives who live there. When we last went they told us to come in June because they say the "rainy season" starts July 4. We had great weather during the last two weeks in June. In fact it was so warm we missed air conditioning! We struggled with leaving windows open and thus letting light in (as it is light almost all the time - longest day of the year is end of June) or closing everything up. Alaska is absolutely gorgeous with so much to see and experience. The wildlife is amazing. In fact, after the trip, given the choice of Alaska or Disney World, my kids would say they wanted to go to Alaska again. We will one of these years, and will make a cruise part of it. Good luck.

My mother did a 2 wk cruise in Alaska a few years ago during July/August. One week was on land and the 2nd week was on a ship and she absolutely loved it. She has beautiful pictures and can't wait to go back. I remember her saying that the weather was warmer than normal and for part of the trip they only had to wear sweatshirts.

I'm a Caribbean fan myself but my husband wants to take a cruise to Alaska so we're also looking into it.

My husband and I cruised to Alaska 5 years ago and are going back in July. We absolutely loved it - the mountain, snow and wildlife. Mornings were cold but afternoons were in the mid 60's and sunny and we were able to wear capri pants (or shorts) and short sleeves. The day we left Ohio it was 95 and humid and the next morning when we got up it was 59. There were a few hearty souls in the pool and some sunbathing.

Russ & Terry

I'm with Emily-Grace; I don't care for hot weather and I don't "get" laying out on a beach :D !

I travel for the itinerary. And you'll find few itineraries to match Alaska. Beautiful scenary and wildlife viewable from the ship (unlike "sea days" on my carribean cruise where the view was water). Terrific ports (history, sports, entertainment, shopping).

Whether you will be able to get "in" your sunbathing, will depend upon the weather. AK weather is fickle - Late June/Early July have better odds, but you can have warm-and-sunny or cold-and-rainy pretty much any time during the cruise season. On our first AK cruise (about 15 years ago) we went in May and were the "first" cruise of the season - it was high 70s/ low 80's (F) and VERY sunny the whole nine days. My parents went later that summer (they were there for the summer solctise in June) and it rained every day and never got above 60.

As RCCI's ad campaign urges - 'get out there' - there is more to life than catching some rays. Try something new to make your wife happy and you may find that you like it too!

Last week as I was watching the snow fly and the ice fall I too wondered WHY we were going to Alaska. Then I realilzed we have never been there, although many times to the sunny Caribbean. So when friends suggested we cruise to Alaska it sounded great to us. I really am not a cold weather person and dressing in layers instead of just shorts and a top doesn't appeal to me. However, it should be a wonderful experience and we are looking forward to it.

It must be great to live where the sun always shines:) try Pittsburgh where we feel lucky to see it every now and again. Have a wonderful cruise.

We did CruiseTour #15 Aug 2005. While I had check weather reports for packing... (Expected 45-65) we ended up buying t-shirts b/c it was 75-85! We came home with sunburns for Alaska!!!

My grandpa had drove - yes drove from the Midwest to Alaska many years ago. The love in his voice and the stories he told infected me with his wanderlust to get there at some point in my life. I tell you what, it was incredible!! You will not be bored; you will not be limited in choices of things to do. The sun does shine there - so the Solarium with its glass ceiling and steady 85 degrees can still offer you the means for tanning.

We had such a wonderful time: whale watching, heli to dog sled camp, panning for gold, riding the dome topped rail cars, atving in Denali, going INTO Denali Park and having excellent view of Mt. Denali, I could go on and on, it was one of our best trips - and we have been on MANY!

Before we had even left the ship we were chatting up that we needed to come back at least 2 or 3 more times.

Indulging her may lead to the most fun you have ever had!!

Many thanks for the thoughts and ideas. It really is enough for me to go because my DW wants to go....I was looking for two things which you all provided.....

1. Can I sit out in the sun?.....Yes Possible but don't PLAN on it.

2. Is there more to do than look at ice?.....Yes, possibly much more which would also include a rich experience.

So, it looks like end of June is the best possible time.....warmest weather and least amount of rain. I'll begin to look into it all. Who knows....maybe my horizons will expand?

comxkid summed it up correctly.

There are no quarantees with weather. I've been there in June (last 2 weeks) and it was very warm, even on a glacier. The last 2 weeks of August were cold and rainy.

One other thing to consider is the land portion. The interior of Alaska is amazing. It adds to the enjoyment of the cruise.

I do suggest doing that prior to the cruise because it is a few long days of travel. Then you can have a sea day to rest some before the sightseeing picks up with ship activities.

seeing that you live here in San Diego, just get a few more days of uv and sun before you leave and it will carry you through. Alaska can be very sunny but cool, Ketchikan is the rainiest city in the US, but we have been there in brilliant sunshine. Your wife is right; you are going for the scenery and if you are fortunate you will have sun too. If not, don't sweat it - you will be coming back to sunny San Diego!:) we who live here are spoiled.

I thought the same thing until I got the Princess DVD which has exquisite photography of Alaska. It really makes you want to go. Go to the Princess website and order the free DVD. I hope the 2007 DVD still has the same clips of Alaska. Doesnt matter if you decide on another cruise line, it will show you why folks love Alaska.

I don't understand the attraction of an Alaskan cruse, either; but DH wants to do one, so we probably will sometime. (Sometime when we can afford a Hawaiian crise right afterward so I can thaw out and have some beach time!)

For me, it's not a real vacation unless there's sun and a beach! (Although I used to live in Europe for a while and loved it there, so I would consider a European cruise.)

I work as an ice skating coach, so my daily wardrobe consists of a turtleneck, sweater, jeans, insulated pants, large coat, and gloves. It would definitely not be fun to be dressed like that on a vacation!

I'm sure Alaska is beautiful, but I prefer activities to sight-seeing.

I don't understand the attraction of an Alaskan cruse, either; but DH wants to do one, so we probably will sometime. (Sometime when we can afford a Hawaiian crise right afterward so I can thaw out and have some beach time!)

For me, it's not a real vacation unless there's sun and a beach! (Although I used to live in Europe for a while and loved it there, so I would consider a European cruise.)

I work as an ice skating coach, so my daily wardrobe consists of a turtleneck, sweater, jeans, insulated pants, large coat, and gloves. It would definitely not be fun to be dressed like that on a vacation!

I hadn't considered the Hawaii one immediately after the Alaska cruise...I think that itinierary can work beautifully. Well done...NOW I am excited!

Hi:

Boy, does this sound familiar. We've been cruising for the past 22 years, mostly on RCCL, (40 cruises to date) and it took me about 10 years to convince my husband that we should go to Alaska. Living in Iowa, it is very cold in the winter and we really enjoy going to Hawaii, Mexico or the Caribbean in the winter time. Everyone we talked to, on any of our cruises, when we asked what their best cruise was, the answer we would always get, would be Alaska. I wanted to take RCCL, but my TA suggested a Princess cruise and cruise tour, so that's what we went with. This was about 6 years ago. We took a five day land tour and then a 7 day cruise. I don't like the cold weather either, but in my opinion, it was one of the best cruises we've ever taken. (It wasn't for my husband). We had great weather and we went the very last week of August. One day sitting by the outdoor pool it was about 78 degrees and I was working on my tan and my husband was sitting beside me in jeans and a sweat shirt. I said, why don't you change, you look kind of silly sitting there in this heat in those clothes. (We've been married 41 years, I can talk to him like that). Anyway, he said...."well, if I change clothes again, the weather will just change again". It would be cool in the morning and then warm up quite a bit in the afternoon. We were prepared for rain and mosquitos, but we didn't encounter either one. We were prepared and did dress in layers. I would love to go again, but DH doesn't want to and unless we can talk familiy members into going for the first time, we probably won't be taking an Alaskan cruise again. The scenery and the animals were enough for me to make it a great cruise (adventure). We took all the shore tours we wanted (although quite expensive) because I knew DH wouldn't want to take this cruise again. We took sea plane rides to lodges to see the bears and have salmon bakes; and we landed on a glacier on a helicopter ride. We did everything at the time, because I was pretty sure that was going to be my only time there. I think it's one cruise everyone should do at least once...just my opinion.

Happy Cruising.....Sparkle 10 (Anita):)

And that is exactly why Alaska is great for folks who are active!

I have gone sea kayaking, glacier flying and hiking, etc. Dog sledding is on my list for next year. It is as active a vacation as you want it to be, same as the Caribbean.

Alaska is all about getting out there and exploring; those that choose just to walk around the towns and sightsee are missing out big time! JME.

I'm with Emily-Grace; I don't care for hot weather and I don't "get" laying out on a beach :D !

I travel for the itinerary. And you'll find few itineraries to match Alaska. Beautiful scenary and wildlife viewable from the ship (unlike "sea days" on my carribean cruise where the view was water). Terrific ports (history, sports, entertainment, shopping).

Whether you will be able to get "in" your sunbathing, will depend upon the weather. AK weather is fickle - Late June/Early July have better odds, but you can have warm-and-sunny or cold-and-rainy pretty much any time during the cruise season. On our first AK cruise (about 15 years ago) we went in May and were the "first" cruise of the season - it was high 70s/ low 80's (F) and VERY sunny the whole nine days. My parents went later that summer (they were there for the summer solctise in June) and it rained every day and never got above 60.

As RCCI's ad campaign urges - 'get out there' - there is more to life than catching some rays. Try something new to make your wife happy and you may find that you like it too!

Having done the caribbean, I can say it is over rated, there is nothing to compare to Alaska. The scenery is awesome. :D

All of our cruises have been to the Caribbean in the winter months. I just hate the cold weather in New York. I love the heat and lying on the beach and swimming in the water. But..I am considering a cruise to Alaska. I'm fascinated by glaciers and wildlife. It will be something different so why not give it a try.

Originally Posted by perkyblue viewpost.gif

And that is exactly why Alaska is great for folks who are active!

I have gone sea kayaking, glacier flying and hiking, etc. Dog sledding is on my list for next year. It is as active a vacation as you want it to be, same as the Caribbean.

Alaska is all about getting out there and exploring; those that choose just to walk around the towns and sightsee are missing out big time! JME.

You can even SNORKEL!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

I was in late my 20's and a sun, sun, fun, fun type person, when DH and his family wanted to do the Alaska cruise...having cruised 4 times prior to that to the Caribbean, not to mention the land trips there...I was like...uuuh! No sunbathing...what will I do?

Well...to say the least, to this day, our Alaskan cruise (late May into first of June) was my most favorite trip ever, to date!! We absolutely LOVED it. We did 3 excursions and saw so much, it is hard to list all the wildlife we saw...truly an amazing and gorgeous cruise. We cruised out of Vancouver, did Northbound to Anchorage. A Balcony cabin, is a sure must as it is constant scenery the whole time and when visiting glaciers and such you don't have to go to the common areas with a lot of other people, you can enjoy from the comfort of your balcony. We ate breakfast out on our balcony almost every morning...goes to show you that it was not "that" cold. We did not have any rainy days when we went...lucky us, we know.

Truly, truly a wonderful cruise and MUST even if considering, you won't regret! :)

Let us know what you decide.

I was in late my 20's and a sun, sun, fun, fun type person, when DH and his family wanted to do the Alaska cruise...having cruised 4 times prior to that to the Caribbean, not to mention the land trips there...I was like...uuuh! No sunbathing...what will I do?

Well...to say the least, to this day, our Alaskan cruise (late May into first of June) was my most favorite trip ever, to date!! We absolutely LOVED it. We did 3 excursions and saw so much, it is hard to list all the wildlife we saw...truly an amazing and gorgeous cruise. We cruised out of Vancouver, did Northbound to Anchorage. A Balcony cabin, is a sure must as it is constant scenery the whole time and when visiting glaciers and such you don't have to go to the common areas with a lot of other people, you can enjoy from the comfort of your balcony. We ate breakfast out on our balcony almost every morning...goes to show you that it was not "that" cold. We did not have any rainy days when we went...lucky us, we know.

Truly, truly a wonderful cruise and MUST even if considering, you won't regret! :)

Let us know what you decide.

You can even SNORKEL!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

I guess if I got lucky and had weather in the 80's I'd probably like it, but if it's cold, it just wouldn't feel like vacation to me! (I can't imagine snorkeling if it were colder than 80 degrees outside--the water would still feel too cold!)

But I guess I should at least give it a try before I decide that I'd hate it! :rolleyes:

Archived