Tap Water

Solomom

Yes you can buy bottled water on the ship.

No it is not included with the soda card.

Yes you can bring as much as you like on board.

We have an RO system at the house and we love our water. It was one of my concerns on our last cruise as I have tried to eliminate as much soda from my diet as I can. I was very happy with the taste of the water everywhere except in our rooms. While drinkable the water had a "taste" to it.

This taste was most likely caused by the aerator on the tap. This is also why most houses when tested for water come up so badly on the tests. They get dirty and this effects the water.

Yes you can buy bottled water on the ship.

No it is not included with the soda card.

Yes you can bring as much as you like on board.

We have an RO system at the house and we love our water. It was one of my concerns on our last cruise as I have tried to eliminate as much soda from my diet as I can. I was very happy with the taste of the water everywhere except in our rooms. While drinkable the water had a "taste" to it.

This taste was most likely caused by the aerator on the tap. This is also why most houses when tested for water come up so badly on the tests. They get dirty and this effects the water.

I agree.. the tap water wasn't so tasty, but the water elsewhere was very good... I'm pretty picky about my water, but have been pleasantly surprised...

Does anyone know how they desalinate their water - reverse osmosis, distillation, etc...? (Okay, I'm a chemical engineer and curious.)

I believe I read someplace that cruise ships use distillation.

I think that some cruise ships take on Fresh water in some of the ports too. At least that is what I believe I saw on the Destiny back in 2004.

That may also explain the hit and miss on the taste of the water.

Does anyone know how they desalinate their water - reverse osmosis, distillation, etc...? (Okay, I'm a chemical engineer and curious.)

Okay, to start the memory is a bit hazey, apparently the ships officers have LARGE spending accounts. Ended up with hubby at some little bar on the ship with the CD and the Engineer. Everyone bought a round and then the CD and Eng. bought us a double from each.:eek: .. God...but I vaguely remember the Eng. telling hubby that there was atour or talk about the different eng.technologies (water, plumbing, etc...). But hey you know you engineers, write him a nice note and explain your curiosity - you might be surprised by the response you get.

We wrote one to the captain - same cruise- and he had the first officer give our son and DH a tour of the bridge, they even got to see his cabin (DH asked), said it was small.

Okay, to start the memory is a bit hazey, apparently the ships officers have LARGE spending accounts. Ended up with hubby at some little bar on the ship with the CD and the Engineer. Everyone bought a round and then the CD and Eng. bought us a double from each.:eek: .. God...but I vaguely remember the Eng. telling hubby that there was atour or talk about the different eng.technologies (water, plumbing, etc...). But hey you know you engineers, write him a nice note and explain your curiosity - you might be surprised by the response you get.

We wrote one to the captain - same cruise- and he had the first officer give our son and DH a tour of the bridge, they even got to see his cabin (DH asked), said it was small.

When the travel channel runs their "cruise ship" week, they always have a show that shows how it's done... it's actually pretty interesting and makes you realize how much they go through to make the water so tasty :D

Archived