Just Back from Ocean Racing Challenge

canadiancruisers11

We just back off of the Crown Princess last week and I have to say that anyone interested in sailing should do the Ocean Racing Challenge...80ft monohull racing yachts that were used in the Volvo Around the World Race...Anybody that wants info on this let me know, I've done the 12 metre in St. Maarten and these guys blow them away...Great time, taking my son next year..Have a great day

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

Hey tell me more about it. We will be there in April. I have done the 12 meter before and loved it. So better sure got my interest. Where in Ontario are you from? Thanks for the heads up on this trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there,

Yeah it was the one from the Whitbred, lot of history between the 2 boats, Athina and Martella...We were on Martella and had to do the sails manually, if you want to participate, you can or you can sit back and enjoy the ride...I'm a bit of a sailor so it was nice to get involved, was even able to take the helm for a good 20 minutes with great advice from the Captain...Wow, 20-25 knot winds, beautiful day, good seas, and I'm in control of an 80foot monhull, can't beat that and provides for some great stories back home...

We're from Hamilton, cruise a ton, and love being on the water...Take it from someone like me who's had bad asthma half his life (I'm 38), there is nothing better than being at sea...You'll have a great time

Craig

• 4 weeks later...

We are signed up for this in St Thomas as well during our cruise visit in July. How many passengers does each vessel hold? We have 4 in our family and another family of 3. Wondered if we will be together or racing against each other which would be pretty cool too.

How experienced do you need to be, as we are not. We too did do the REgatta excursion in St. Maarten several years ago and loved it. How do these guys blow them away?

Any more details you can share would be great! Thanks. Jan

• 1 year later...

Hi,

We are on B2B on Noordam next month and debated between the yacht race they offer in St Thomas and this one in Barbados. Decided to go for this one on the bigger 80 ft yachts rather than the 12 m ones in St Thomas so hope it is fun! Will try to update and give our thoughts when we get back, if I am not too busy wrapping Christmas presents by then!

Judy

Thanks for the heads up on this sailing. We took the st Maarten sailing race last feb and really enjoyed it - We are on the RCL EOS 1/11/09 and when we printed the excursion booklet this was not on the list but must have been added as I was able to book it there RCL....

Again thanks for the info -- I am sure we will love this

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi,

We are on B2B on Noordam next month and debated between the yacht race they offer in St Thomas and this one in Barbados. Decided to go for this one on the bigger 80 ft yachts rather than the 12 m ones in St Thomas so hope it is fun! Will try to update and give our thoughts when we get back, if I am not too busy wrapping Christmas presents by then!

Judy

Is the racing challenge still running in Barbados, please no comments about St Thomas.

Is the racing challenge still running in Barbados, please no comments about St Thomas.

I went to see about the Challenge tour on our NCL Jewel cruise in January 2009, but there was nothing. Plus any attempt to find the racing challenge web page failed.

I had a great time last year on the racing challenge and was going to go again... they are still around aren't they?

Craig please supply more information. We did this in February 2007 and cannot find any valid links. We will be on a cruise in Fevruary and are taking friends that want to do it and I thought they went out of business. Thanks for the update! It is AWESOME!!! Supply all the info and I will check back! Thanks so MUCH!!

Lisa

I NEVER do ship excursions, I have emailed every possible link on this and never a response, i do not think they are in business.

I rarely do ship tours as well, but if you want to do tours like the trans Panama Canal Train or the 12 Meter Yachts out of St M you gots no choice buddy.

Never say never.:p

I rarely do ship tours as well, but if you want to do tours like the trans Panama Canal Train or the 12 Meter Yachts out of St M you gots no choice buddy.

Never say never.:p

You can do teh St Martin racing without the ship excursion you just need to know how.

I had booked the OC thru RCL for January 18th about 2 months ago. I received an email from RCL last week telling me OC was cancelled due to "operational difficulties". and I received a refund.

Anyone have any info on this??????

Getting all my emails kicked back.

They are out of Business -- I received an answer to Email as

Thank you for your interest, but unfortunately we have ceased operations. The yachts are in Trinidad on dry dock and for sale.

O well I guess we will have to do something else in january

They are out of Business -- I received an answer to Email as

Thank you for your interest, but unfortunately we have ceased operations. The yachts are in Trinidad on dry dock and for sale.

O well I guess we will have to do something else in january

smiles_407.gif

Archived