Snorkeling Help! I priced snorkels and masks today

weebo

and found that we could get both mask and snorkel from a scuba shop in Toledo for around $60 per person. My hubby says that's too much. He wants to get a set at a sporting goods store! :( He won't buy the ones at the dive shop.

I read on this forum that it's best to get your own set so it fits your face well. And I am grossed out by the thought of renting and using others' gear on the excusions. I want to buy our own; I figure we'll use them again someday.

Can anyone tell me if that price seems too high? The mask was $38 and the snorkel was $21. The dive guy also told me I'd need some anti fog lotion for $10. True?

I am trying to be frugal, but this is our first cruise and I've always wanted to try snorkeling...

We were planning on renting the fins...

Is it ok to buy the equiptment on line? I saw a couple of places on the web that sell this stuff. But I think time is too short...

A mask that does not fit properly WILL leak. If your mask is constantly filling up with water, snorkelling will be frustrating and you will have wasted money buying something that does not work for you. An improperly fitting mask may press against the bridge of your nose causing discomfort.

There are a variety of snorkel designs. I would suggest something with a single large purge valve at the base and some sort of splash guard at teh top. These features help limit the amount of water that might splash into the snorkel by a wave, and also make it easier to clear any water out of the snorkel.

US$60 for a mask (with tempered glass lens and a silicone skirt) as well as a snorkel is a pretty good deal. Have the dive shop staff individually fit the mask for each person.

Unless you are an avid snorkeler and will use the product many, many times I wouldn't pay such a high price if it's just for this one vacation. You can get nice snorkel equipment at either Wal-Mart, Target or your local sporting good store like Academy.

We actalluy got 2 sets of free masks and snorkels from subscribing to Caribbean Life magazine back in 2003 and they have worked fine. We used them about 3-4 times a year. I can't use the mask since I'm am legally blind without corrective lenese, but I do use the snorkel. I purchased prescription googles over the Interent for $20 and a nose clip at Target. Works great for me, and DH has 2 masks to choose from. Look around and compare.

In Sept.2006, my wife and I purchased the snorkel only on the ship (Inspiration). I belive we payed $15. We didn't feel comfortable putting used snorkel in our mouth. On our excursion, we replaced the snorkel given out with the purchased ones. It worked just fine. We did not have issues with masks leaking. We don't do alot of snorkeling, so we couldn't justify the cost of purchase all the equipment. This might be a cheaper alternative.

We purchased our snorkel fins, mask, snorkel (purge kind) and carrying net at Sams Club last year. In the summer they ususally sell it for 40.00 but I waited until fall and got mine for 25.00. We tried them out in our pool and they worked great. They are the Body Glove Brand. To me it was a good investment even though we only snorkel once a year but I know I am the only one using it.

Ditto what cruise.freak wrote. The problem is that its off-season at places like Sam's and Wal-Mart. A sporting goods store is probably your best bet for reasonably priced stuff. The dive shops tend to be very expensive.

The "standard" size snorkeling mask is too large for my face, and the first time I went snorkeling I ended up with a very leaky mask. Having to dump the water out every five minutes completely ruined the experience for me! I would certainly purchase a mask somewhere where you can try it on, and not just take a guess by buying something at Wal-mart to save some money.

A dry or semi-dry snorkel will prevent water from getting into the top from waves (or in the case of dry snorkels, you can even go underwater and it won't fill up) and that's very helpful. That might be worth the extra cost for you, so you're not swallowing as much sea water. A regular snorkel would work just fine, though.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you're ever interested in scuba diving, that mask and snorkel you get at your dive shop will probably be appropriate for that, but something you get at Wal-mart won't.

I got mine off of Amazon for like $20 per person total. I, too, haven't ever snorkeled, and there's no way I was going to spend a lot incase it turned out I didn't like it.

A friend of mine who scuba dives said the set I got was fine (I think both mask and dry snorkel are Body Glove). I figure I can always upgrade if it turns out I like to snorkel.

If time is an issue, upgrade your shipping to "next day air" or something.

Indeed baby shampoo is excellent defog. Similarly a drop of dishwashing liquid works well too. Apply defog to a dry mask with clean dry hands. DO NOT try to defog your mask if your hands are coated in sunscreen!

A new mask with a tempered glass lens will need to be cleaned with a mild abrasive prior to first use. Place a small (pea sized) amount of toothpaste (not gel) on the inside of each lens. With firm pressure scrub the toothpaste over the surface of the glass. Rinse and let dry before applying defog of your choice.

Do not apply this toothpaste precleaning to a mask with a polycarbonate plastic lens. Tempered glass will not scratch, but polycarbonate plastic will. A mask with a tempered glass lens will usually say such on the packaging and normally has the word TEMPERED on one of the lenses in small letters.

Be wary of buying masks based solely on low price. Cheaper masks use cheaper materials. The plastic used to form the mask skirt (the part that seals to your face) is not as flexible as silicone used in better masks. A good waterproof seal is essential.

Additionally check the points that the strap connects to the mask. This is a common failure point. If it is poorly designed or weakly constructed, it may break readily.

Unless you have a very narrow face then 95% of the masks you try will fit you, granted some better than others but they will work.

Tell te dive shop what you are doing and what you really want, if it is a good shop they will tell you where to go and what to buy because they want your future business.

Cosco has a decent set for the money, even comes in a carry bag with defog.

<><>

Like the previous post said, 95% masks fit everyone. We bought ours from snorkelmart and had pretty good luck. The fit was ewxcellent. Their site is ; http://www.snorkel-mart.com/

Word of caution, you only get what you pay for. If you buy a really cheap mask etc. don't expect too much out of it! It may work will, but then again it could be a real pain in the butt with leaking etc. Been there, done that!

Dan

and found that we could get both mask and snorkel from a scuba shop in Toledo for around $60 per person. My hubby says that's too much. He wants to get a set at a sporting goods store! :( He won't buy the ones at the dive shop.

I read on this forum that it's best to get your own set so it fits your face well. And I am grossed out by the thought of renting and using others' gear on the excusions. I want to buy our own; I figure we'll use them again someday.

Can anyone tell me if that price seems too high? The mask was $38 and the snorkel was $21. The dive guy also told me I'd need some anti fog lotion for $10. True?

I am trying to be frugal, but this is our first cruise and I've always wanted to try snorkeling...

We were planning on renting the fins...

Is it ok to buy the equiptment on line? I saw a couple of places on the web that sell this stuff. But I think time is too short...

We do a lot of snorkeling. It didn't take us much time to learn that you "do" get what you pay for. If you go cheap then you are likely to have an unpleasant time and will decide quickly that you don't like snorkeling. The $60set sounds great to me as long as it is a decent quality. You don't need to have all the bells and whistles to have a good time but you certainly shouldn't buy the bottom line stuff. Later you can upgrade to something better, but for now you want to enjoy the experience too.

Another thing to remember when first snorkeling is to make sure that all your hair is out of the rim of the mask. A lot of people can't figure out why it leaks and often it is because of hair. Also, make sure that the strap is up on the crown of your head. Many people have the strap down to low by their neck which doesn't allow the mask to fit properly. Also, the strap doesn't have to be painfully tight to make it waterproof. If it hurts, it's wrong. The mask should suction to your face nicely.

For defogging--the best that I've found is "Dawn" dish soap. Make sure that it is the blue Dawn... no other color. FYI, blue Dawn makes the best window cleaner too.

Good Luck!

If you have never snorkeled before I can't urge you enough to get the equipment at home and try it out a few times in a pool first. It all looks easy, but if you havn't snorkelled before and suddenly you are in 10' of water & floundering it will not be a pleasant experience. :eek:

This may seem like common sense but I have seen people completely turned off of snorkelling more because of an unfamiliarity with the equipment than anything else! They get too preoccupied with the mask etc. & arn't enjoying the fish coral and everthing else of beauty underwater.

I recommend that you try out the equipment, how to wear it etc. then go on the cruise & snorkelling. This way you can truley enjoy it.

I am proud to say that MDW went from a non-swimmer to snorkelling within 6 months & just loved the experience. She took swimming lessons and worked hard at it, but we did also practiced a number of times with the equipment in a pool first.

Snorkelling can be the best part of a cruise!

Dan

In Sept.2006, my wife and I purchased the snorkel only on the ship (Inspiration). I belive we payed $15. We didn't feel comfortable putting used snorkel in our mouth. On our excursion, we replaced the snorkel given out with the purchased ones.

I always get a chuckle when I read post's like the one above... Let me give you something to think about. You are in the ocean, which is not one of the most clean enviroments in the world... The mouth piece is submerged in this water, then you pull it out of the water, shake it off and put it in your mouth. The last thing I would be thinking about at that point is that someone else might have used it before me... I just put it in my mouth and use it....

As far as mask's, fit is the #1 concern when picking out a mask, everything else is secondary. When you buy a new mask it MUST be cleaned before use. If you do not have commercial mask scrub then toothpaste, not gel, does the best job. Just make sure you scrub the hell out of it. I would suggest you scrub it at least 2 times. Just put a glob of paste on each lense and use your fingers to rub, and rub and rub it in, then rinse....

As far as antifog goes, well I am about to gross some of you out, the best antifog can't be bought, as far as some people are concerned SPIT is the best you can use. My wife even hands me her mask and has me spit in it, that must be love!!!!

Wow, you have all been so helpful. I've been copy and pasting all of your comments in emails to my hubby. He has been impressed with the scope of knowledge and helpfulness here on the board. Thanks!

I believe I have him thinking that $60 isn't too much for mask and snorkle set. We are going back to the scuba shop and getting the cheapest that the guy recommends. I am going to use the toothpaste idea to scrub the mask and the blue Dawn for the anti-fog.

My hubby would like to know, why do we have to clean a new mask? What are the repercussions if we don't get it clean enough?

Also, how do you use the blue Dawn? Do we delute it? Wash it off? Paint it on with a brush??? How? Do I need to take Dawn with me on the cruise? Does it need to be repeated after the first dive?

I am copying the hints you've given here and taking them with me- Thanks again!

(by the way- I found a snorkel at Dick's sporting goods store for $29, which at the scuba store was $21! The only set I saw was at Walmarts for $20 and it looked CHEAPO)

During the manufacturing process the manufacture puts a light layer of oil on the lense. You need to scrub that oil film off of the lense other wise the mask would be in a continual state of fog.

As far as the Dawn you mix it with Water and put it in a small bottle so that you can squirt it on the lense and rub it in... you can also use Baby Shampoo, but I still prefer spit

Archived