Rum Point

JMS920

What can you tell me about Rum Point? It sounds so beautiful. Is there a website for it? What is the best way to get there. Not sure I want to drive in GC. Is there a ferry, if so how much and how long a trip? We'll be there in Dec. 2004 Thanks for any and all help!

JoAnn

I read a thread recently where the cruiser said that it was quite a distance so they rented a car to go there. I think the taxi was too expensive and there wasn't a ferry or anything else to take them there.:(

If you want more info. you could go to www.caribbeanportreviews.com and click on the Cayman Islands. I found lots of info. there about the Grand Cayman Islands including excursions, shopping, and restaurants. It even has tons of other ports listed if you want info. on them too. I got info. on all of the three ports we will be visiting on our next cruise.:D I hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise.

I went to Rum Point last jan. We rented a car through the avis link on www.grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com. I think we paid $45 for the cheapest car w/ins. They pick you up at the blue iguana, a couple of blocks from the pier. When we got to their office, they were all out of the cheapest car, so we got a free upgrade to a jeep! We drove the whole east side, visited the wreck of 10 sails, the blowholes, and made it to Rum Point by 10:30 am. Absolutely awesome beach and not at all crowded! We also had previously scheduled a stingray snorkel trip through red sail sports, who has a desk at Rum Point. From Rum Point, it only takes 15 minutes to get to Stingray Sandbar, instead of the 1 hour trip it takes other tours from Georgetown. We did the stingrays and also snorkeled at a nearby reef. We went back to Rum Point and lounged for a while before heading back. I could definitely see spending the whole day here, and then some!

You should also check out www.frommers.com for more info on grand cayman.

Rent a car. When we were there this past April, we had planned on taking a taxi to Rum Point. When we found out it was around $100 each way we changed our mind. It was a bit of a bummer, but a couple of beers on Seven Mile Beach cheered us up!

Yes, but we didn't eat there. Smelled good though. There were outdoor fish grill/cafe types. The whole beach is set up w/shacks (nice ones) that offer different things. Red Sail sports for water activities/fish grill and other stores for shopping. We didn't have time to explore them much but lots of chairs/tables all around. Also, there was a concrete building w/showers/toilets. We took a shower when done w/the stingray tour!

vossjemi,

You said you were there by 10:30. What time did you get the car? I was just wondering how long it took. We were going to do the stingrays first and then get the car to drive to that part of the island, but now I will look into red sail sports.

vossjemi,

You said you were there by 10:30. What time did you get the car? I was just wondering how long it took. We were going to do the stingrays first and then get the car to drive to that part of the island, but now I will look into red sail sports.

I have to say we were probably on the first tender off the ship around 8am. We knew we had a lot we wanted to do in GC so it was our early day. We ordered room service for breakfast and really didn't get ready much since we knew we would get wet. We brought our collapsible cooler w/soda/water & sandwiches from the cafe promenade we got the night before. And, we brought our snorkel gear.

Once off the ship, we walked straight to the blue iguana (where avis pickup location is). The pickup was there within 5 minutes and we drove straight to the airport office of avis (about 10 minute drive). Everyone rushed off the minivan to get their car, so we were the last in line. But we got the last laugh as they drove away in the cheapest car and we got a free upgrade to a jeep! Tee Hee!:D We were probably off on our own by 8:45-9am.

We drove the whole east side (basically taking the long way around to Rum Point) stopping at the blowholes, the wreck of 10 sails a couple of other spots for pictures. We didn't stay long and that is why we got to Rum Point by 10:30 am. Our Red Sail excursion was at 11:15 am so we got to lounge on the beach for 45 minutes before going. I wish I was there now!:rolleyes:

I think Red Sail trip was done by 1:15, so we ate our sandwiches, lounged a bit more, and showered (just to get sand off) before heading back. We took the short route back, which was about 30-45 minutes. Had time when we got back in town to buy rum cakes, Hard Rock t-shirts, and Cuban cigars.

One of the Best Days of our cruise. We will be in GC again next jan and plan to rent a car and see the west side....Hell, turtle farm, and snorkel cemetary beach OR maybe just spend the whole day at RUM POINT!!! Boy is that tempting!

Thanks. We saw the West side last time we were in GC and want to do the East this time. We snorkled with the stingrays when we were there last time. However, we are going with 3 other couples who have never been there and they want to do the stingrays. this may work out great since we can go to the stingray sandbar and also see the East side. What cruise ship were you on and what are you doing in January? We were on the conquest the last time. This time we will be on the Coral Princess (12/28 Panama canal cruise) and will be in GC in January. I e-mailed red sail tonight. Last time we went with Captain Marvins. We did the stingrays and also Hell and the Turtle Farm. The nice thing about going to the Stingrays from Georgetown is that we saw some beautiful homes...including Bill Gates house. Dont' know if you will see this going from Rum Point.

Archived