VE vs VD and Location Question

mjs125

I have another question about the VE/VD cabins on the Vista class ships. I noticed that there were VE cabins available on the Verandah deck, but they are midship where the ship is narrower and they look like they have smaller balconies than on the portions of the ship further forward. There are some VD cabins that look like they have nice balconies but they are on the Upper Promenade, and I'm worried about noise in the morning from people on the Promenade. Is the noise from the Promenade an issue for those balcony cabins on the Upper Promenade? Are the VE/VD balconies on the Verandah deck actually smaller or do they just look that way? Do all balconies on the Upper Promenade deck have the steel or are the ones closer to the middle of the ship glass? Do you all think it would pay to go with a gty?

Thanks for helping to answer all my questions!!

Meg

The VE's midship on Verandah deck do indeed have slightly smaller balconies. The VD cabins that are on the Upper Promenade deck all have glass railings - only the VF/VH's all the way forward on Upper Promenade have the steel balcony railings. I don't think you should hear too much noise from the Promenade deck in either location. We had a VC on the forward end of the Verandah deck, and never heard any noise other than the sound of the ship plowing through the seas.

If you have a preference about where on the ship you'd like to be (forward/aft/port/starboard) don't do a guarantee. If, however, you could care less about your location, a guarantee is a great way to go.

The VE's midship on Verandah deck do indeed have slightly smaller balconies. The VD cabins that are on the Upper Promenade deck all have glass railings - only the VF/VH's all the way forward on Upper Promenade have the steel balcony railings. I don't think you should hear too much noise from the Promenade deck in either location. We had a VC on the forward end of the Verandah deck, and never heard any noise other than the sound of the ship plowing through the seas.

If you have a preference about where on the ship you'd like to be (forward/aft/port/starboard) don't do a guarantee. If, however, you could care less about your location, a guarantee is a great way to go.

Hello again Meg -

To supplement Aaron's answers:

There are some VD cabins that look like they have nice balconies but they are on the Upper Promenade,

The VDs on the Upper Prom are about 18" deeper than all VC, VB, and VAs.

Are the VE/VD balconies on the Verandah deck actually smaller or do they just look that way? Do all balconies on the Upper Promenade deck have the steel or are the ones closer to the middle of the ship glass?

There are no VD on the Verandah deck. The only steel-walled railings are on cabins 4001 to 4042. The ones with the little black diamond on the plan! :)

Do you all think it would pay to go with a gty?
If you want to avoid possible narrow balconies and steel-walled ones you'll have to book at least a VD guarantee. And, as I told you in email, when we booked VE guarantees twice we were assigned VAs, so you may get lucky as we did! :D

Thanks for the info! My main concern is any noise from the Promenade first thing in the morning, but other than that we are not really specific about where on the ship we want to be. Of course, the last cruise we had an inside right below the Lido, and everyone said it would be really noisey and we didn't hear a thing.

Hello again Meg -

To supplement Aaron's answers:

The VDs on the Upper Prom are about 18" deeper than all VC, VB, and VAs.

There are no VD on the Verandah deck. The only steel-walled railings are on cabins 4001 to 4042. The ones with the little black diamond on the plan! :)

If you want to avoid possible narrow balconies and steel-walled ones you'll have to book at least a VD guarantee. And, as I told you in email, when we booked VE guarantees twice we were assigned VAs, so you may get lucky as we did! :D

Thanks John! Yes, you did mention that in an earlier email, and that was why I've even considered doing the guarantee. I want to avoid mainly the steel-walled ones and would prefer a bigger balcony, so maybe I will go with the VD guarantee, although the extra depth on the VD might be pretty nice. (You're right about there being no VD on the Verandah deck...oops! :p And somehow I missed that little black diamond...oh well...apparently I need to pay more attention!) Thanks again for all of your help. Wish you guys were going on the cruise with us so when I book the Alaska one for me and my mom I can just ask you to pick out our cabin! :D

Meg

Thanks for the info! My main concern is any noise from the Promenade first thing in the morning, but other than that we are not really specific about where on the ship we want to be. Meg

Hi Meg - Just curious, but what kind of early am noise are you concerned about on the Prom deck, below the Upper Prom deck, where the VD cabins are located? We've stayed in the same VD cabin twice on Noordam - 4045 - & don't recall hearing anything below us. Perhaps the occasional winching of the lifeboats but that could occur at any time. Early morning walkers on the Prom generally don't generate much noise. ;)

On deck 4, behind the forward elevator banks, there are 4 VD cabins with the larger balconies. About 2.5ft larger - that extra space is really nice. When we first selected 4045 for the inaugural, we didn't have a clue that it had such a great balcony. Just forward of those 4 VDs is where the steel wall starts. Don't know if the balconies are larger behind the aft elevator banks.

Enjoy Alaska - sure wish we were going there! :)

Hi Meg - Just curious, but what kind of early am noise are you concerned about on the Prom deck, below the Upper Prom deck, where the VD cabins are located? We've stayed in the same VD cabin twice on Noordam - 4045 - & don't recall hearing anything below us. Perhaps the occasional winching of the lifeboats but that could occur at any time. Early morning walkers on the Prom generally don't generate much noise. ;)

On deck 4, behind the forward elevator banks, there are 4 VD cabins with the larger balconies. About 2.5ft larger - that extra space is really nice. When we first selected 4045 for the inaugural, we didn't have a clue that it had such a great balcony. Just forward of those 4 VDs is where the steel wall starts. Don't know if the balconies are larger behind the aft elevator banks.

Enjoy Alaska - sure wish we were going there! :)

Last time I was on the Oosterdam, there were a lot of people running (and, of course walkers talking....wait, that was us! :p ) early in the morning on the Promenade deck, and I was just concerned about being able to hear that. Plus there was lots of cleaning going on and crew pulling stuff around (which I still don't have a clue what it was they were doing)....regardless, I didn't think there was much, but was just curious. I was looking at those cabins actually....those more forward versus the aft of the ship. So 4045 is the one to choose? I will remember that!! Thanks for the tip! :)

This is for the Mexican Riviera...I am planning on booking the Alaska trip for 2008 while on board though. I will definitely enjoy both though! Alaska was my mom's idea, but I'm pretty excited about it too....you should go! I hear it's an absolutely amazing place.

Meg

Archived