Zaandam - upper or lower dining room?

TheNit

We're booked on Zaandam cruise to Alaska in August. Does anybody have any comments about the upper vs lower dining levels? We are confirmed for the main (late)sitting (which is what we prefer). I understand that there is a 30 minute difference between the two but that is not really important to us. Also, we generally go for tables for eight but looking at the deck plans, there aren't a lot of these and none of them are at the windows. I'm guessing that we would have a better chance of getting a window if we were to choose a table for six. Someone on another post has said that at later sittings, window tables don't matter because it's dark but the sun sets later in Alaska in August so it would be a factor.

Looking forward to going back to Alaska. Last time we were there it was on the Fair Princess.

It is always somewhat light in Alaska in the summer because the sun "sets" for a few hours in the middle of the night. The sun will go down, but the light never turns completely to dark.

The meals are the same and the service is the same, regardless of upper or lower dining level. You should pick based on your time preference because there isn't any other differences. I like the new scheduling of meals, it seems more quiet, the service is less hurried, meals arrive faster and it made a huge difference in my opinion.

Every year, I tour several different Holland America ships and eat in the dining rooms during professional conferences. On all of the ships, most of the tables along the windows are larger tables for 8 people. It shouldn't be a problem to get a larger table by a window if you make the request. If your assigned table is not right for you, please go and speak with the dining room staff when you board the ship and they will re-assign you. The maitre d' can also assist you after the ship has sailed.

Best Regards,

Julia

Archived