Vonage

turia

I have a portable Vonage phone that I wanted to use on our upcoming cruise. Does anyone know which country the ship is considered to be in while it's sailing? I have unlimited North America plan and wanted to know if it would be considered still part of North A since were sailing from NY.

Thanks

I have a portable Vonage phone that I wanted to use on our upcoming cruise. Does anyone know which country the ship is considered to be in while it's sailing? I have unlimited North America plan and wanted to know if it would be considered still part of North A since were sailing from NY.

Thanks

We have Vonage in one of our offices. It DOES NOT work on ships. My office repeatedly tried calling me and never could get through. Our tech guy explained that Vonage would NOT work ever on a ship.

You have to have high speed internet. And you have to have the software loaded (not likely on a ship PC) or take your laptop connected to a broadband connection. The ship's internet speed is too slow-must be DSL or cable. Vonage does not even work on a high speed broad band satellite connection (Hughes PC). You could possibly use the phone in ports in conjunction with your laptop, an internet cafe, and a high speed connection. But what a lot of stuff to bring along simply to make a phone call that MAY go through.

Either use a phone card or consider another service. Mobal has a phone that works in most of the world. Not the cheapest per minute, but you always have an international cell phone available (for the next trip-mine stays in my suitcase) AND you pay no monthly service fees. The Mobal phone does not work well if you are more than about 5 miles from shore. http://www.mobalrental.com/

Thanks for the info, do you also have any info on disposable cell phones and if they're any good on the ship. I don't want to use mine as the last time we paid about $300 for 15 Min's as we are from Canada and the roaming fee's are immense.

To all those going oh no not another crazy woman with a cell phone on a ship. I promise to use it just in our cabin to phone our parents.

Thanks

Archived