Ships Missing Port of Hilo?

Divetex

Divetex, I gotta say I'm sorry I was right. (Especially that I had no bets riding on it!) But may I ask what's so interesting to do at night between Kona and Hilo? Are you planning to hike to the lava flow at night? We were recently on the POA and could have done this port skipping business. We considered it and immediately rejected the idea since most of the time would have been spent driving, eating, and sleeping anyway so we decided there wasn't really anything to gain. What great adventures did we miss out on? (Besides visiting Emi?)

There are two things to do overnight on the Big Island: (1) the night hike to surface lava and (2) the night manta ray dive. Both would be once-in-a-lifetime experiences for most people. I quit diving a year ago, but since I have a BS in geology, I really wanted to do the night hike. We flew over Pu'u 'O'o in May, and it merely whetted my appetite for more. I guess I just have a thing for Pele or something, for now we're making plans to go back to the Big Island during a land cruise of Hawaii. (Sweetemi might still get lucky).

Divetex - bummer :( Sorry about the mislaid plans. But you're right - at least it gives you impetus to come back for a land visit to the Big Island. (I highly recommend Four Seasons Hualalai, if you're looking for ideas :D)

Spleen

Archived