Shipping From The Ship ?

RockyTopMom

Last year when I sailed The Mercury, passengers were offered the ability to ship a box from the ship. We had to pack it, address it and set it out with our luggage the last evening. The box was provided by the customer service desk and you had to go to the desk and pick it up. It was shipped via Fed Express Ground and the cost of shipping was charged to my sea-pass account.

Anyone who has cruised The Summit recently know if this service is offered on this ship?

Thank you.

Last year on a ten day cruise, we tried to take our dirty laundry off in San Francisco so we could UPS it home, and we weren't allowed to take it off the ship because we weren't at our disembarkation port. No one could really explain why, but we definately were stopped.

If you are concerned about getting your purchases home, have you considered having the store you purchase from ship directly to your home? We often do that when we are on vacation and the shipping fee usually offsets the sales tax we would have paid if we had taken the items home ourselves.

Well, I have finally received answers from Celebrity directly on this question.

The first answer via email was "it depends on the port you are arriving into. If FEDEX ground is available in that port city, it would probably be offered."

I then called Celebrity direct and asked the question, do they offered it or does it depend on the port I am cruising into? The young lady told me she didn't know but if I would hold for just a minute she would find out. I waited and it was less than a minute when she came back on the line and told me that Celebrity used to offer this service, but because some passenger(s) abused it, it is no longer offered on any Celebrity ship. It could change in the future and I was certainly welcome to check with the front desk once onboard."

Why someone would abuse it and how it was abused I can't tell you.

Hi,

We returned from the 9-night Mex. Riv. cruise on Mercury sailing out of San Diego and used this service.

Arrangements were made with the "Concierge" desk as explained in the daily newsletter left in your stateroom. Basically, you provided information with regard to destination of the box. The box itself measured about 20X20X18 or so. It was provided as well as "stickers" that were used to secure the contents of the box. The Concierge contacted FedEx and they provided the shipping label which you then placed on the box. The box could weigh no more than 30 lbs.

We live on the East Coast (Philly), which was Zone 8 and the cost to ship for us was $45. That amount was charged to your Sea Pass Account. The box was placed outside your room on the last night of the cruise and collected with your other luggage. We never saw it again until it arrived 5 days after we returned home. You could through the tracking ID number chart it's progress with FedEx.

Hope this answered your questions. Would we use it again? Absolutely!!

Kind Regards,

Don and Kathie

Archived