Chair Hogs - Wall Street Journal

rt63

Sorry, I don't have a link, but today's Wall Street Journal had a story on chair hogs at land based resorts and how the resorts were trying to deal with the issue. Very interesting and lots of examples of hog behavior...

Heres part of the story from the Wall Street Journal:

Vacation: No walking the dog, emptying the dishwasher or scrambling to get to a meeting on time. And now, at many resorts this year, no reason to wake up at 6 a.m. to grab a good chair by the pool.

With the spring-break crush coming, hotels in resort areas are arming themselves with new policies to combat "chair hogs," the scourge of vacationers who stake claim to prime spots early in the morning and then don't show up again until after noon. Reversing longstanding procedures to leave guests' belongings untouched, many hotels now enforce time limits on unoccupied chairs.

Chair hogs are invading many parts of the world and fast, Someone said that they are UFO's :confused: or came from some underground Cave :confused:

I did a search on Yahoo and found the following:

A time share in City: Punta Cana

Usuallly the hogged chairs have a towel and some personal item that a person would not mind losing- like a month old copy of Der Spiegel (Germans are the worst chair hogs). I just toss that **** into the nearest bush and move the chairs to another spot. I too need my own Lebenraum.

Death to chair hogs! Death to German vacationers

This person wrote a review about Paradise Island, Atlantis

Chair hogs are evil. I do not condone reserving a chair all day to only use it for an hour.

==p.gif The Towel Game in Mayan Riviera VacationWhat people do is they walk out to a prime spot on the beach or at a swimming pool and put a towel on the beach chair [chez-lounge] they want, then disappear, sometimes for hours. By doing so they presume that they have placed a "reservation" on the chair. Some people do this as early as 6:00 in the morning.

So as you see, not only on Cruise ships but any other Vacation spot anywhere in the World.

That's what the lost and found is for. Find a chair you like. Ask if they have seen anyone there in the last hour. If they haven't, then they have just mistakenly left their stuff and someone needs to take it down to the lost and found. And when and if they do show up, you just look at them and say "Sorry, nothing was here on these chairs when I arrived." What are they going to do? They were doing something forbidden and it wasn't your fault... you found the chairs that way.

The cruise lines should put a note on the chair. If the note is still there half an hour later, the items should simply go into the lost and found.

I watch the chair hog festivities from afar. I love it when it rains on their stuff!:eek:

ROFL!! I have only been on 2 cruises, so far, ;) , and there were always plenty of chairs at all times of the day. These were smaller ships though, i wonder if that made a difference!:confused:

Sheri

Chair hogs are invading many parts of the world and fast, Someone said that they are UFO's :confused: or came from some underground Cave :confused:

I did a search on Yahoo and found the following:

A time share in City: Punta Cana

Usuallly the hogged chairs have a towel and some personal item that a person would not mind losing- like a month old copy of Der Spiegel (Germans are the worst chair hogs). I just toss that **** into the nearest bush and move the chairs to another spot. I too need my own Lebenraum.

Death to chair hogs! Death to German vacationers

This person wrote a review about Paradise Island, Atlantis

Chair hogs are evil. I do not condone reserving a chair all day to only use it for an hour.

==p.gif The Towel Game in Mayan Riviera VacationWhat people do is they walk out to a prime spot on the beach or at a swimming pool and put a towel on the beach chair [chez-lounge] they want, then disappear, sometimes for hours. By doing so they presume that they have placed a "reservation" on the chair. Some people do this as early as 6:00 in the morning.

So as you see, not only on Cruise ships but any other Vacation spot anywhere in the World.

I know what you mean Fred. I live on the water my house is on a lagoon, and last summer I woke up at 8 am and there was a towel and one shoe already on a deck chair.

How long would you wait to move the hoggers things? I think I would wait 1 hour and then I would move it. I think one hour is enough to eat breakfast or luch etc. I personally wouldn't even leave my chairs except to swim. If we were hungry, I or my DH would go grab some chow and bring back to the chairs. Would you move things from chairs?

I think they should enforce the "no chair saving" policy with a new rule. If you are sitting in the chair... or there is a drink next to or on your chair still containing solid ice... that your chair is safe. Otherwise, it's up for grabs...:D

Not only will this get rid of the chair hogs... it will increase revenues.

And if you don't like a beverage at the pool... sorry... you are so screwed... :D

I think they should enforce the "no chair saving" policy with a new rule. If you are sitting in the chair... or there is a drink next to or on your chair still containing solid ice... that your chair is safe. Otherwise, it's up for grabs...:D

Not only will this get rid of the chair hogs... it will increase revenues.

And if you don't like a beverage at the pool... sorry... you are so screwed... :D

As far as "hogs" go....I suppose it is up to you to have the balls...to say "ok" Im moving the stuff and planting my ass.....on my first cruise, I met a luvely travel agent....next day at sea Im looking for a seat....she says hey Di...come sit here....just move the stuff...its a family of 5 (two loungers) with two big bags of riff raff....and they havent been back for two hours.....so I did....oyyyyyy.....so Im sittin and doing my thing...enjoyed the pool..enjoyed the buffet...enjoyed the drink service...**** I even got a tatoo!!!!.....etc....after 3 hours of my being there (thats 5 hours) dad comes up and says where is our stuff.....oh its all right here....I insisted on folding and making a nice little stack....where is my daughters tshirt...oops it was under my towel....here ya go....he was so pissed off...but hello...I enjoyed "the chair for 3 hours without concern!".....by then I was almost done...but didnt move just because of the principal of it all.....I have read about "lockers" and I have read "buy" your chair for the day...lockers sound good.....buying a chair well Ill plant my ass in it until you kick me out of it when you actually want to sit in it.....if you "bought it"....kinda funny really. What really kills me is the people that actually get up at 6am throw towels and mags and riff raff and actually go back to bed.....then show up at noon to claim the hott seats on Lido.....maybe we should get an hour glass with the sand and turn it over every time we leave our seats.....or a sign that says gone for bingo...enjoy until I get back....funny! Sounds like a time share! How classic is that! oyyyyy! Nothing will change unless we all tidy up the riff raff at the bottom of the loungers and enjoy till they get back.

funny

Ice cube would be a good rule of thumb....but where would you place the drink? It may fall over, if on a chair....and might be overlooked for most..if on the side...I am so agreeing with you on the ice factor......how long does it take to melt a well drink on ice? Classic! keepem comin!

If I cannot find a chair I keep an eyeball on some likely "saved" ones for an hour. If no one shows up, I calmly walk over and remove their stuff to the floor. I was almost in a fist fight on the Triumph years back for doing this after a chair was left for 2 hours! When she finally returned, I explained to the lady that she was gone for that extended period of time while I was sitting my butt on the uncomfortable wood benches around the pool, and too bad. After she yelled at me, I told her to ---off and find a staff member to throw me out. Last I saw of her. Most people will leave me alone anyways, I'm a woman covered head to foot in tattoos.:cool:

Iamgolden...Hey, if the tatoos work that well, I may need to get started on body ink! Seriously though, it's amazing how rude people can be and chair hogs are some of the worst. I agree with most here - if that chair is obviously not being occupied (and it doesn't take too long to figure that out), it's available!

I always travel with a small group of friends and we sit together. We would never think of just leaving an item or two on a chair and leaving for any time at all. Someone or two will always stay with the stuff and the chairs. I would say a half hour tops is how long we're comfortable with a member of our group to be gone.

So maybe I should print up a few hundred notecards that say "Seats that are not occupied for more than 60 minutes will be considered vacant. Any personal items left on these chairs will be removed and placed by the towel bins." I would make it look semi-official and all. I suppose I'd have to get up at 5:30am every morning to place a few hundred on different seats. Okay, I'd actually probably have better luck staying up until 5:30am to get them out there but it's an idea.

Mark

So I take it there's a severe shortage of chairs near the pools on cruises?

Heck, at our local water park, that's what you do. You put your stuff on chairs and take off. Periodically you come back to put sunscreen on and lip balm on and then you wander to the next spot. But, when you show up - no matter when, there's always an empty set of chairs somewhere, so I guess it's not an issue. Boy... if anyone ever removed our things from our chairs, my husband would be thrown in prison for what he'd do to them. :eek:

Will definately be sure to place our towels on the floor somewhere. Don't want husband tossed off the ship for fighting. :) Who cares about a chair? You go, you swim, you leave. I never knew there were people out there that would be so upset over a chair. :p No matter how rude "chair hogs" are - I don't think it's right to touch someone else's stuff. Would you really want some stranger to pick up your things and move them? Or put them in lost-n-found? :eek: I'd get really mad.

(Okay, here come the rants. Go ahead. I can take it. :D )

Well ZIP, I don't think we are talking about people who leave their chairs for a few minutes to go for a swim, or grab a drink. These people save chairs very early in morning, then return later in day. They then will leave for hours again, etc. I have a sneaky suspicion that if people did not do this, there would be enough chairs to go around.

After our last cruise my daighter said that on the next cruise she was

going to pack a suitcase full of items from the thift store (flip-flops,

t-shirts, paperbacks, etc) At 5:30 am when the deck crew was

arranging all the chairs she would be right behind them with her

stuff and save every chair near the pool just to make a statement.

She wondered if the staff would do something about the chair hogs

after this?

Well ZIP, I don't think we are talking about people who leave their chairs for a few minutes to go for a swim, or grab a drink. These people save chairs very early in morning, then return later in day. They then will leave for hours again, etc. I have a sneaky suspicion that if people did not do this, there would be enough chairs to go around.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm new here so I hadn't partaken of the infamous chair-hog threads before. I was scared people were randomly moving people's things and taking chairs left and right. :eek: I don't typically spend too much time at the pool anyway. But it would be nice to go there, grab a chair, swim, lounge and take off without having to worry about chair wars.

CHAIR WARS. COMING TO A THEATER NEAR YOU. <<<dramatic music here>>>

Archived