Help! Stingray city with kids

crusinmama06

I know many of you have been to Stingray city (Grand Caymen). There are a number of choices on the RCCL site and I need help figuring out which one to go on.

So, they are saying I can take my 3 year old. The water is 3-7 feet deep.

Has anyone does this with a younger child???? How did they do? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Michelle,

I did Stingray Alley with Moby Dick Tours last April with my DH, DD(5) and DS(7). I was so excited and I talked about it alot before the cruise with my children so they would know exactly what to expect. We get to the Caymans and by the way Moby Dick is a great company to go with, any way we finally get out to "The Alley" and before we even dropped anchor they were both crying "we aren't going in". I being the "terrrible" mother took them in any way thinking they would be okay once in the water, NOPE it didn't happen. My DD was up around my neck. I'm not telling you not to go ,but this was my experience. You never know with kids though. I had a awesome time though. The sting rays are really neat and very social animals. Hope that helped you a little! Have a great time what ever you decide to do.

Dianna

We've been with the stingrays twice in Grand Cayman and loved the experience. The last time we had grandkids 3,4,5 & 5 with us. We went with Captain Marvin on a two snorkel and stingray tour. It was a little cool and the water was mildly choppy. The little kids loved the boat ride, each tried snorkeling (each with an adult) but none stayed in more than a couple of minutes. Partly because of the air/water temp (though it wasn't bad) and partly because of the little wavelets slapping their faces, I think. We knew they'd have trouble really snorkeling, since we hadn't practices, but hoped they'd enjoy just being in the ocean. They are very used to water, as we live on a lake, but it was just a little rough for them.

None of them wanted to get in with the sting rays either. We finally got one five-year-old granddaughter in for a few minutes in her dad's arms, but that's it.

Some kids might enjoy this a lot, but I think most would be apprehensive, especially at three. The water was about waist deep on adults, and remember that plenty of adults are scared as well.

But they still loved the tour, being on the boat, and the free punch!

We did the NativeWay reef, rays and Rum Point excursion last Feb. with a 3 year old and a 7 year old.

The 3 year old didn't want to snorkel (I was very OK with that), the 7 year old did and they saw a moray eel which he thought was very cool - good thing I wasn't in the water with them, I would have completely freaked out! When we got the dvd several weeks later, I couldn't believe how close it seemed (but the guide was between it and the snorklers, so it probably seemed scarier to me than it actually was.)

At the stringray sand bar, DH held the three year old. It worked out fine. I was just a little nervous about the 7 year old: they stress how important it is to keep your feet on the sand at all times (so you don't accidentally step on a stingray), and he hopped around just a little. In the end, it was fine, but I'll admit I was nervous.

Rum Point is the most beautiful beach! It is perfect for small children: partially shaded with shallow water and no waves to speak of. The lunch (included in the excursion) we had there was very nice.

All in all a wonderful day!

If you go, I hope you enjoy it. Happy cruising!

We were in Grand Cayman when my oldest were 5 and 3. We were staying on Cayman Kai and did the Stingway City trip from Rum Point. As with a previous poster, my 3 year old loved the boat ride, and loved looking at the rays, but had no desire to actually get into the water. Eventually, she ventured in for about 2 minutes, but had DH’s neck in a deathgrip the whole time. I ended up staying with her on the boat.

The 5 year old loved it though. He fed the rays and snorkeled the whole time. It was the highlight of the trip for him.

Rum Point is a wonderful beach. Very calm waters that are great for young ones to snorkel while still feeling that they are safely on the beach. It’s much less crowded than 7 mile beach, but it takes about 40 minutes to get there, either by car or on the ferry.

Thanks for all of your advice. What's funny is that I have no doubt my 3 year old would love it (she's the adventurous one), I was worried about the 7 year old.

So I think I am going to do something more sedate with the 3 year old (maybe the butterfly farm?)

And let the 7 year old go with her dad on the Jeep tour.

And save the stiongrays for when they are older. Thanks!

Cruisinmama,

I've been to Sting Ray City a number of times (4 that I can remember - maybe more?) I'm 5'3. The level of the tide and the sand bar make a big difference. One visit in particular I could not stand without small waves hitting me in the face. Other visits I was knee to waist deep.

I think both children may have an issue in the water depending on the tide and conditions.

I think you'll be happy with your decision to wait.

Have fun!

We did Captain Marvin last year. Our youngest was 7 and she LOVED the Stingrays. She had trouble with the Snorkeling here (more than Cozumel) because of the chop and the equipment but she was crazy about the Stingrays. We bought the video and she loves it. The water at the Stingray site is shallow and she is a strong swimmer anyway and an animal lover. I guess it would depend on the child.

Archived