Nearsighted Snorkeler

Zipliner 1968

So nearsightedness is less of a problem. I noticed that Sam's Club had masks, etc on display last week, summer stuff ya know--in Ohio!!!

Leisure Pro has some ok masks for a little money. I saw a snorkel kit for $25. a few months ago-mask, snorkel, fins, and bag.

I am nearsighted as well, but after snorkleing one time without corrective lenses, I bought a mask with my lenses built in. I think it cost about $100. I bought a slightly better mask since I was taking my scuba certification class. As already stated, you can usually find a snorkel combo for around $25 to $35 bucks. Personally, I would not snorkel or dive without my corrective mask, but I don't know the extent of your nearsightedness. Mine is pretty bad.

Mike

Personally, I would not snorkel or dive without my corrective mask, but I don't know the extent of your nearsightedness. Mine is pretty bad. Mike

Yeah, mine is too. And since the whole point of snorkeling is floating on the water, it's doubtful I'd see much more than 8" away. (yes, inches) :(

How about this.... if we went snorkeling, could I just swim around instead while my husband enjoys it? He's said he doesn't really care to do it, but I think he might like it once he got in there. Would I be bored? Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? :o

Hi Zipliner:

I have the same problem and don't want to be frustrated as I try to guess if what I saw was a fish or my DH's leg! I too looked into having a mask made with my prescription but even Walmart wanted $200 plus!:mad: So, I had a pair of "trial" contact lenses made up...for free! Many opticians will do this for you. They even gave me a sample size of the cleaning fluid and a case ... for free too. I have worn contacts in the past so it is easy for me. I just hope that there are fish to look at!

Good luck:

Diane

I am also very nearsignted. I used contact lenses when first starting to snorkel because without any correction I wouldn't be able to see a thing. I, too, have worn them in the past, so it wasn't difficult for me. Once I decided I loved snorkeling, I bought my own mask with corrective lenses (for about $200) at a dive shop. I find the prescription mask easier than dealing with the contacts. I have seen posts saying that you can get prescription masks on line (you just get your prescription from your eye doctor) for less than going to a dive shop, but you run the risk of not getting a good fit. Good luck!

You can get a mask with Rx lenses for under 125.00.

Here is the mask

http://www.divers-supply.com/TUSA-LIBERATOR-PLUS-HYPERDRY-MASK-p/tus0001.htm

Lenses are listed over to the right side of the page under accessories.

Divers Supply is a well respected dive shop in the diving community. I have purchased quite a bit from them off the web and always received great service.

Hi!

On my last trip Royal Caribbean (who I had to rent snorkle gear from due to an owned snorkle malfunction) actually had prescription masks. I was SO EXCITED! It was fantastic! The dive shop guy said they do not advertise it because they do not have that many. I am nearsighted too (-3.0)

I saw you are sailing Carnival, but thought I would mention its worth a shot. It's well worth it. Once you go snorkling you'll be hooked!

Have a great time!

I am on my 3rd TUSA mask and lenses. Works very well, I have also had prescription ground into mask, I like the "drugstore lenses" at least as well. As my prescription changes, I just buy a different diopter lens. I bought the last mask in Key Largo at World Watersports on sale for $35. plus about $40. for lenses. I noticed that Leisure Pro has mask and some lenses on closeout. Saw this a few days ago.

• 2 weeks later...

As first time snorkelers, we looked into buying prescription masks, but found they would cost $150-$200 each because strong astigmatisms contraindicated buying the standard prescription masks. We didn't want to commit to that amount of money since we didn't know whether we'd like snorkeling.

We ended up buying good quality, well-fitting, low-volume masks for around $50 each, unscrewing the temples from older pairs of eyeglasses and wedging the glasses into the masks. No glue or screws needed. It worked great for both of us. Glasses stayed in place, didn't fog up, and we could see great.

So we liked snorkeling and when we get the opportunity to snorkel again in a couple years, we'll still have good masks and can use a more recent pair of old eyeglasses for no additional cost.

As first time snorkelers, we looked into buying prescription masks, but found they would cost $150-$200 each because strong astigmatisms contraindicated buying the standard prescription masks. We didn't want to commit to that amount of money since we didn't know whether we'd like snorkeling.

We ended up buying good quality, well-fitting, low-volume masks for around $50 each, unscrewing the temples from older pairs of eyeglasses and wedging the glasses into the masks. No glue or screws needed. It worked great for both of us. Glasses stayed in place, didn't fog up, and we could see great.

So we liked snorkeling and when we get the opportunity to snorkel again in a couple years, we'll still have good masks and can use a more recent pair of old eyeglasses for no additional cost.

A reputable dive shop has guidelines for dispensing corrective lenses. They should ask for your prescription. If you are merely near sighted, then diopter correction lenses can be inserted. However, if your prescription indicates astigmatism, the shop pro should insist on dispensing only ground lenses.

I encountered this scenario when I needed a new mask. The only way I got around the shop pro was calling my opthalmologist who verbally approved dispensing diopter lenses because the astigmatism is slight.

Ground lenses are more costly and take a week to ten days for delivery, whereas most dive shops keep a stock of diopter lenses on hand. However, if your astigmatism is significant, you won't get much benefit from standard diopter lenses.

We have just returned from our cruise on the Veendam and I thought that I would tell you that my plan to get free contact lenses (sold as "samples") worked out very well. I do have astigmatism and the ground snorkel lenses were very expensive here in Canada. I have worn contacts before (25 years ago) so I didn't have a long learning curve. Best of all I could see all those wonderful fish clearly! Oh yes, I still have 2 perfectly good lens to wear out if I decide to snorkel again or play tennis this spring.

I ended up buying a mask at Dick's Sporting Goods for $24.95, popping lenses out of an old pair of glasses, and using a little bit of silicone calk, adhered them to the inside of the mask. WORKS PERFECT. Looks silly but works - and it was cheap. I don't see myself snorkling too much. I live in the midwest. :D

I am in the same boat. Can't see far away and don't wear contacts. I was wondering if it would be worth it to get my own perscription mask. I have never snorkeled before and I don't know how often I will get to go, so don't know if I can justify the cost even if it is only $50-100. There is a local scuba shop in my town, so I will check it out and see what they say.

Thanks to everyone who provided links.

• 8 months later...

As I said in another thread, I used to use the old-glasses-in-mask solution. Then I found a BodyGlove mask on ebay - it comes in only three corrections, and you can buy one new for as little as 50 bucks on amazon. For some reason, it accomodates a wide range of prescriptions, and works just fine for me. I haven't actually dived with it yet, but I wore it to my scuba refresher course and, um, it was so superior to my old arrangement that I'd highly recommend looking into it, er, out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have an athletic club or YMCA nearby with a pool, it'd be worth a shot to atleast throw on a borrowed pair of goggles or mask and just see how much you really can see without any corerctive lenses, you might be surprised.

Archived