Avoid Jamaica or hang on board

TongueTwister

Big Dilemma: We're torn...should we avoid Jamaica entirely or go on a ship that visits Jamaica and simply stay on board?

As on who has actually been to Jamaica I can tell you that its has it good and bad just like some other ports.

Yes there have been reports of terrible gay bashings and even murders of gay Jamaicans in the past. (This is my main reason for not returning)

You do have the option of going on a cruise that does NOT stop in Jamaica.

It's your money.

If you stop in Montego Bay just get a taxi and go to Sunset Beach Resort for the day. It is a totally private resort and you won't be bothered at all. The resort is just down the road a mile or so from the port. Don't walk though.

Don't waste time going into town, it is not great and not reccomended.

We stay onboard. The port fees are minimal (although I certainly do understand the opposition to paying even that) and we enjoy having the ship to ourselves. On Freedom, it seemed everyone who got off (gay and straight) told us we likely had a more hassle-free day when they got back. We also note on our evaluation that we didn't get off for fears of safety.

We had a thread about this not long ago. People also talked about not traveling to states like Virginia for similar reasons. My answer is that I would not get off the ship in Jamaica because they have state-sanctioned murders of gay people. Virginia, on the other hand, may have homophobic legislation, but it doesn't endorse murder. :rolleyes:

I work for ac in toronto, jamiaca is not safe for gays / lezbians. I've heard many many horriable stories from work mates. I've been twice many years ago and was robed on my last visit...that put the fear of god in me....will NEVER go back and tell all my extended family the same thing.

If?? you dare...be extremely careful of where you go, its extremely dangerous with no protection from the police.

Big Dilemma: We're torn...should we avoid Jamaica entirely or go on a ship that visits Jamaica and simply stay on board?

I realize that certain ships/itinerary combinations almost make a stop in Jamaica a necessary evil.

however, I will never step foot back on that island. Too many threads recount the violent and virulent homophobia there, but beyond that, it's just not a "fun" place to explore.

Stay on the ship, you'll have an infinitely better time.

Hi everyone! Here's my two cents! :)

My partner and I did RCCL Explorer of the Seas 9 day Western Carribean the summer before last. Jamaica was one of the ports. We did get off the ship, went to Dunn's River Falls ( checked it out and just looked and took a couple of photos- it was a mad house of tourists trying to climb the thing and not really what we had in mind)--We did some shopping in the little town the ship docked in. Three times we had Jamaican men come up to the cab window trying to sell us pot! It was crazy like a scence out of a movie. I will say this---the g/f and I are from NYC and it takes A LOT to scare us! :p We felt as though we were traveling thru a bad section of the Bronx in broad daylight as we drove in the taxi with other folks from our cruise ship! I don't really think it is a safe port for anyone- regardless of their sexuality. I thought Jamaica was dirty, a little hostile and shady. I am sure there are beautiful places like in Negril and Montego Bay where if you stay at the hotel and at a resort it may be somewhat safe. I know all the beaches in Jamaica are public and a lot of begging and theft occurs. Hang out on the ship while you are in this port and do a day at the spa and enjoy having the pools ***** the ship to youself! :-)

Happy Travels!

D-

This is just my two cents. My DH and I just returned from Jamaica. We took a tour of the city, and loved it. Yes people asked us 4 times if we wanted pot, we just said NO.( No Problems ) We never felt unsafe. Now please excuse my ignorance, but how will the Jamaicans know that you are gay.

I think you will be missing a beautiful Island.

Now please excuse my ignorance, but how will the Jamaicans know that you are gay.

Some people are flamboyant enough that everybody thinks they are gay. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't...but people think they are. Straight people can be flamboyant too of course, but they may still be targeted as a gay person.

Or maybe they will just see two men or two women who are going around town together, putting their heads close together to say stuff, they might hold hands briefly, or maybe they don't care and they smooch each other in public. You don't have to be quite so obvious for people to assume you are gay...if you are just seen as being "close" to someone of your own gender, they might assume you are gay.

Now please excuse my ignorance, but how will the Jamaicans know that you are gay.

I think you will be missing a beautiful Island.

I guess my point is why should I have to keep them from knowing that?

Try going to Google News and type in Jamaica and Gay.

Mobs have attacked Gays in Jamaica and beaten them, with impunity. The last attack was on the 14th of February. The police were required to intervene and protect them from the mob of 2000 people shouting. And then they were taunted by the police in the police cars all the way to the station.

Incidentally, Gay sex in Jamaica can get you 9 years in prison. And many Gays have been killed in the country about 30 according to J-Flag.

How about a little article from Amnesty International.

No island is so beautiful that it would compel me to pretend "we're just friends" so I can get off and pump money into that area's economy. Pride isn't just a parade.

A supremely awesome response.

I'm with Schplinky. If I unwillingly got stuck somewhere that was not gay-friendly, yes I would mask my sexual orientation to protect myself. But not while I'm on vacation, where I have a choice of where to go. I have a choice with Jamaica: enjoy a quiet, mostly-empty ship for a day...or go spend money in a place where if they knew who I was, they might kill me. I know which one I choose.

I am PROUD TO BE ME! Nobody can change that.

Archived