Beware Of The Quest

I was on the Rhapsody on Jan. 14 and actually found the Quest tame compared to what I am reading on this thread. I'm just sorry the beans are spilled for cruisers who have never experienced The Quest before. I hadn't until my past cruise and I am glad I didn't know what to expect. It was funny and I laughed myself sick and even though it was advertised as an adult show I found nothing offensive at all. If I found the Quest offensive YES I would have left but glad I didn't have to <giggle> Our CD made an announcement before The Quest started that it was an adult game and that he would not ask any youngsters to leave but that they may grow up quicker than their parents would like. Yet the parents let them stay. Oh and I am almost afraid to ask..what is the worm???

I don't think that we can comment on the truth or otherwise of these allegations unless we were actually there. Just because someone's experience does not match our own - or we wish it were not so, does not make the poster a troll.

If I had concerns about something that happened on a cruise I would be sure to post on these boards and I am glad that others feel the same.

Jane

x

Okay...I was looking forward to our first RC cruise and attending the Quest game with hubby (and not bringing the kids of course) but now I dunno..lol..now I kind of get the jist as to what goes on...:confused:

We took our first cruise ever on Radiance earlier this month, and I knew a little about what was going to happen from talking with our friends. Let me tell you it was nothing like this, and we laughed ourselves silly! Personally I didn't see anything that I thought was too offensive for our pre-teens, and I thought maybe they could get a lesson on what happens to people when the drink too much. :rolleyes:

....and before I get flamed, no the kids will NOT get to go to Quest on the next cruise just in case things get a little out of hand.

The beauty of the boards is anyone can post what they want. Having said that, it is very dissapointing to see a big thread regarding Quest. Ooops, I'm guilty of contributing as well. :) Had Quest with Becky a couple of years ago, funny as hell :D

I'm not going to state my opinion either way on this topic, because that's just the way I am. :) But I don't think that the newer, more risque behavior is limited to the Mariner. While we did not go to the Quest on Freedom, we heard from those who did. Apparently they were encouraging people to show off body piercings and ears did not count. I heard that one woman gave quite a show.

If what you are saying is true, and feeling as you do....I would start writing letters to RCI. I'm not sure that a forum about Quest is the appropriate place for your comments, especially considering the philosophy of the Quest event.

To the OP if you want to sail on RCI and not have a quest then go to the Medierranean. On the legend last June we asked about the Quest and were told that they don't do it anymore because the English / British complained and slted it on previous cruises.

Every other time we have sailed on RCI we have gone to the Quest and got involved. The only time I had a problem was when we were asked to swop clothes with the partner we were standing with. I was standing with a lady from our team and she pointed out that as she had no bra on and only a thong she was not going to take her dress off. I was game for a laugh and already had my trousers off ( Pants for most of you) On a previous round when the men were asked to take their pants off I would not because to me pants are underwear.

My big point is why the long delay by the OP as mentioned bfore.

The Quest is a excellent adults game and should continue on ALL RCI ships.

Like i said earlier, hundreds of posts were lost a while ago.

I do not know how? Why should it matter, anyway??

I don't have an opinion about the topic, but the same thing has happened to me with posts. I haven't posted in a few years (since our last cruise, really), and when we booked our cruise, I wanted to start surfing the boards again. My screen name was never deleted, but my posts were. I think I read somewhere that when they went to the new format, posts were lost? I just assumed that's what happen to mine.

just my 2 cents....

Again,

We have been to many Quest shows before, but for some reason the formats have changed or it was only specific to this ship?

we always had fun at the Quest, i just want people to have a heads-up at what happened and the potential is there again.

It is billed as Adults only, then RCCL shares responsibility to enforce this also.

Just like the drinking age on the ships that they need to enforce but rarely do and these kids end-up in trouble. I have seen so many "lit" teenagers running around in the Promenade of the Voyager class ships, every cruise.

We like RCCL, will continue to cruise, but the need to reel in a bit!!

I've really got to book the Mariner sometime!:D

If you think seeing kids in Quest is bad, try seeing them in the adult comedy show. We even had the comedian ask the parents sitting in the front row with 12 - 14 year old boys if they thought the kids really needed to be there. He informed them that the language and things he would be talking about might not be things they should hear. This was after the CD also said that kids should not be at the show. The parents chose to let their kids stay. RCCL shouldn't have to enforce children not being in these shows since parents should have enough sense not to bring them. However, since they enforce the 18 and under in the Viking Crown Lounge it would be nice if they would enforce it for these two shows as well. Maybe that would solve the constant complaints from parents who choose to bring their children to these shows and then complain about how inappropriate it was.

I've really got to book the Mariner sometime!:D

If you think seeing kids in Quest is bad, try seeing them in the adult comedy show. We even had the comedian ask the parents sitting in the front row with 12 - 14 year old boys if they thought the kids really needed to be there. He informed them that the language and things he would be talking about might not be things they should hear. This was after the CD also said that kids should not be at the show. The parents chose to let their kids stay. RCCL shouldn't have to enforce children not being in these shows since parents should have enough sense not to bring them. However, since they enforce the 18 and under in the Viking Crown Lounge it would be nice if they would enforce it for these two shows as well. Maybe that would solve the constant complaints from parents who choose to bring their children to these shows and then complain about how inappropriate it was.

Your post made me thinking. Actually I can´t really remember (doesn´t say there haven´t been some) any posts from parents complaining about their kids being exposed to adult language/activities during shows/games.

Actually it´s mostly some adults who complain about this and then they use the argument of the family oriented cruise line and kids being in the auditorium to make their point.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Parents are supposed to be responsible for their children at all times. If a warning was given about this being an adult show (and on every cruise I have ever been on, there were multiple warnings about adult oriented shows) then the cruise line is not responsible.

It is not the job of RCL or any other cruise line to be parents for children. That's part of the job of parenting and making the choices that are appropriate for your children.

Shall we stop the drinking of alcohol because there are children on the ship? Shall we stop the parents from having sex in their cabin that they are sharing with their children, because there are children on the ship? The reality is that you have to purposefully walk into the location of this show. You have to listen to warnings about the adult content. And you have to sit there and watch it. All of these are choices. And the reality is that there is a time and a place for everything, including an adult show without children.

And frankly, in Montreal, you would have to pay some good money and drink a lot to get a free show of lap dancing, never mind guys grinding on the floor.

I'm not going to just the OP, except to ask if there was some sort of contact cement on your shoes that prevented you from leaving the room? Once you saw something that you found offencive, you should have left. Instead, we got a complete run-down of the show, suggesting that you sat there and watched it.

Well, I'm an "adult" and MichaelinME, I'm with you....I definitely do NOT want to see men humping the floor or other women naked doing lap dances....sorry but that does border on classless and gross rather than "adult".
I agree completely -- it sounds like they passed the line that separates adult entertainment and strip club shows. In fact, it sounds like Quest turned into all the things people were denouncing about the Bears cruise that happened a few months ago.

seems odd to me that I could sit next to my 19 year old daughter at this show---but not share a glass of wine with her in the dining room---perhaps

RCCL needs to make some of their "suggestions" on age rules and enforce them

I also think we're getting a little down on the OP---they were just letting folks know that in their opinion the Quest on a particular cruise with a particular group of partiipants has gone too far and that the CD hadn't reigned it in---just a heads up that this could happen on your cruise-- nothing more

jmho

Paul

Again,

This is an enforcement issue not just parenting issues!!

RCCL says adults only, then they should enforce this!!

If we did not enforce our own rules/laws in society what would happen??

Think about it! This Quest was out of control, and Becky the Cruise Director looked like she was enjoying it.

As for me sitting there, yes i sat through the whole thing to see how far this show is going to go.

If i did not stay, i would of not had all the information to post.

Again,

This is an enforcement issue not just parenting issues!!

RCCL says adults only, then they should enforce this!!

If we did not enforce our own rules/laws in society what would happen??

Think about it! This Quest was out of control, and Becky the Cruise Director looked like she was enjoying it.

As for me sitting there, yes i sat through the whole thing to see how far this show is going to go.

If i did not stay, i would of not had all the information to post.

Let's put this in another perspective. What you are saying is that you think that RCL should be standing at the door and asking everyone for ID. I'm saying that it's not RCL's responsibility to decide what is and isn't appropriate to children, once they issued the warning, the parent is 100% responsible.

Ah, the masochist's lament.... I had to sit through it to report on it. No, you have to sit through it because you wanted to complain about it. If you were offended, you should have left and that would have been the end of it. I saw a magician on a Princess ship that was so bad, we sat thought because we didn't want to disturb others. It was a conscious choice. If a comedian started to crack jokes that demeaned me, I would stand up and walk out... I don't need him demeaning my spirit and being.

Frankly, different societies have different rules and we often don't enforce them. Do you always signal your turns and change of lanes? Never seen people jaywalking? How many people have you seen stopped in a fire lane at the mall? Parked within 15 feet of a corner? Allowed a child to urinate in public?

That's not to mention some of the stupid laws on the books like:

You may not step out of a plane in flight. Shotguns are required to be taken to church in the event of a Native American attack. And after January 14th you will be charged a fine for having your Christmas decorations still up. (All laws in the state of Maine, incidentally)

Just to give you a few examples on the books in Maine... in Augusta it's illegal to walk down the street while playing the violin. And in Biddleford, it's illegal to roller skate on the sidewalk.

Societies make rules and enforce them for different reasons. In Canada it's illegal to show the Power Rangers until after 9PM (the watershed hour) because of the violence. In the US, it's a children's program.

I understand your problem and I agree that maybe the show might have gone over the top. But I don't think it was RCL's job to enforce the age and anyone offended by it, should have left. That's why there is a door. The same is true of TV, if you are offended by the TV show, there are 50 more channels and a little buttons on the remote that says channel up and down.

I understand your problem and I agree that maybe the show might have gone over the top. But I don't think it was RCL's job to enforce the age and anyone offended by it, should have left. That's why there is a door. The same is true of TV, if you are offended by the TV show, there are 50 more channels and a little buttons on the remote that says channel up and down.

I agree with much of your post, but on this one I waver. If they say adults only (and I don't know that they do, but the OP insists...), then children should be asked to leave. It doesn't take someone checking all ID's at the door to recognize a child, though older teens might be iffy. The same goes for the adults only pool. If it says adults only, that should be enforced. I don't agree that the parent should get to decide that his kids swims in the solarium if the printed policy says otherwise. I should not have to LEAVE the solarium if I don't like it, the one who is underage according to ship policy is the one who should have to haul buns.

Of course, all this is moot if there was in fact no written or announced policy of adults only at the Quest game.