Anyone used RCCL for diving in GC recently?

DutsCruiser

Has anyone taken a dive booked through RCCL in Grand Cayman recently? I've read here that they no longer use "Red Sail Sports" but that they now use "Resort Sports Ltd".

We've already booked ourselfs but still I like to know what to expect.The information on the RCCL page is very limited (non-existant).

If you have what was it like?

What did you get to see?

What dive spots did you visit?

Was it a two tank boat dive?

Maybe got any pictures online than I can checkout?

They are great pictures. Did you do anything to correct the colours? I have a olympus mju 700 myself but my pictures are more blue then yours (check out at my sig if you like and select the September 2006 / Majesty / Bahamas cruise).

I tried to get mine better with gimp (free photoshop clone) but used the originals because they looked better. Probably because I'm not that good with photo software.

I hope I get to see a thurtle also... Must be awesome to see them move throught the water.

They are great pictures. Did you do anything to correct the colours? I have a olympus mju 700 myself but my pictures are more blue then yours .

I believe that I used Photoshop Elements 3 to edit those photos a bit. I don't know if you do this, but it helps to have the flash set to always fire for UW photos.

Resort Sports is the dive operator at Beach Club and Spanish Bay Reef Resort. I can't say anything as to the quality of their operation.

Grand Cayman underwater photo gallery

We were placed with them on a Celebrity excursion. They were ok - did 2 very shallow/easy dives. They did help the elderly diver on the boat quite a bit so they get points for that.

We were placed with them on a Celebrity excursion. They were ok - did 2 very shallow/easy dives. They did help the elderly diver on the boat quite a bit so they get points for that.

You don't sound too enthusiastic :(. We'll see how it will work out. Thanks for the info,

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I should get back with my experience after the cruise so here I am. In short;

Good: Very flexible guys with a great sence of humor.

Bad: Large groups and the vest was low quality.

First of all; there had been a misunderstanding between Resort Sports and the cruise line which caused them to be a bit late and unorganized; they appologiesed for that. Also the cruiseline send them a wrong list with the people requested sizes. I didn't experience any of the "unorganized" part but since they appologiesed for it I guess they usually do things a bit different.

We did two dive with these guys (Paul, Rich and Gerry). They made tons of small jokes and although you don't pay them to be comedians it helps to enjoy the experience.

First they layed out there plan of where to dive and they asked if anyone had already been there. A few had been to one of the dive spots so they offert to change the plan and pick a different dive site. The people didn't mind diving there again so we stayed with the original plan: Peter's riff and the Ore-verde wrak dive.

We had about 25 people on board (not sure about the exact number) and were split in two groups. This turned out to be a bit to large of a group for my liking. Especially since most of the divers weren't to experienced. I'm not saying that I'm experienced but I try to watch were I dive and try not to kick anyone. In a smaller group it's easier to avoid the less considerate divers.

The worst thing about the dive was the vest; they were not broken but had terrible fit. This and the fact that it was to big made it hard to practice good buoyancy. You had to provide the ship (cruiseline) staff with your size. The equipment was already on the dive boat when we arrived so there was no change to try them on first. I got the size M I requested but they told be these vest are bigger than there size. They usually downsize people them selfs but because of the mistake with the list this was not possible.

I do have to say that the crew was very helpfull and certainly knowledgeable about the dive sites. The first dive was up to 27 meters. The second dive was 16 meters.

I don't have a recommendation but the following two statements do appy:

- Would I try a different operator next time? Maybe. Especially if I know of an opperator where I can checkout the equipment before we are on the boat.

- Would I dive with them again? Probably yes. I would probably give them the beniffit of the doubt that they usually are providing a better service. And like I said; the crew was wonderfull.

Archived