Wetsuits needed mid March?

southwardbound

It is hard to predict. I had a key largo dive trip scheduled a few years ago during march and a cold front came through. High temps for a few of the days were low 60s, ocean temps were 70's. So yes, that week a wetsuit was needed. Other times the temps have been in the 80s and no suit was needed. The dive op will have wet suits and usually rent them for about $10.

• 2 weeks later...

You didn't say what it was for, and it makes a difference. As the water temperature drops as you descend, I always wear a full 3/2MM suit (not a shorty) and a vest with hood attached on my scuba dives. Oh yeah...people laugh at me, but you know what? I am never shivering after my second dive, and lots of others are! If you are snorkling, I wouldn't say all this protection matters, but I have never been "too warm" on a dive!

Jane ;)

We are going to be snorkeling in Nassau and Freeport mid March and were wondering if we will need to bring wetsuits? The wetsuits that we have are short sleeves and pants. Would they be provided by the outfitter if needed? Is there usually a charge for this? Thanks.:)

water temps are in the mid 70's and I doubt they will warm up too much by mid march - anything under 80 is cold to me -

We went snorkeling in Cozumel and it was 81 and it took me about 15 mins to get use to it -

I am a fl boy I like bath water - I think it just depends on what you are use to and like.

I dove this weekend and the water was a chilly 52 deg at depth. So, ANY water over 70 deg, I am going with just skin. I love the feeling of the water glide over me as I dive. It also helps to keep buoyancy in line as you dont wanna brush against any fire coral.

Worst case a shorty at the most I would think. But then again... everyone has different reactions to the cold.

• 3 weeks later...
We are going to be snorkeling in Nassau and Freeport mid March and were wondering if we will need to bring wetsuits? The wetsuits that we have are short sleeves and pants. Would they be provided by the outfitter if needed? Is there usually a charge for this? Thanks.:)

Snorkel trip operators supply only basic snorkel gear.

Bahamas water temp is a bit cool. If you have the wetsuit top, bring it. I don't think the pants are necessary, but it's a good idea to ward off chilling the old torso.

You might consider a rash guard shirt. It takes up very little space, provides some warmth, helps with sun block and wards off the little stingy things.

Archived