I found Belize City to be ugly and depressing

conversationist

Love that picture & what a great attitude!!

That picture looks a lot better than some neighborhoods I have visited on other islands...

I cannot say that I have visited "all" FL cities to say St Pete is my least fav. I don't live in St Pete (about 45 min north), but go there for art, ball games, etc. There are places there where the homes are in the millions!!

I guess my point is when we are cruising we are visiting foreign places, not here in the USA. They shouldn't be condemned because they have no McDonald's & no welfare program (promise not to get into politics!). Obviously there are good & bad throughout the world in every city, but if we live in fear everywhere we go, we may miss out on things. Of course, common sense is always needed, whether in Belize or Ft Lauderdale.

I have met many locals on the islands that are just working hard for their families to make a better life. They aren't afraid of hard work. Of course I am not referring to the unemployed beggars in the streets. There is something to be learned from that. It's sometimes nice to see things first hand and not feel sheltered from it, by avoiding it. JMHO!!

Sorry but I don't cruise to be politically correct. I have traveled all over Florida extensively for business, and refused to go back to the city of St Pete. Did not feel safe there.

Your point of "millionaire mansions" makes zero sense to this discussion...obviously Belize has lovely and weathy places, just not in walking distance of the port. Many tours will point out the highlights as they drive you outside of the city for whatever you are going to do (ie, go to the caves or ruins).

So I guess from what you say, instead of taking a tour to the ruins, or visiting the Smugglers Run Plantation, or snorkeling the Cayes, you would prefer to tour an uninspiring street of small houses with steel fences and a stop sign??

Would you care to point out to me where I have condemned because they have no McDonald's & no welfare program (promise not to get into politics!).

My point, should you care to read it, is that Belize is a port where you need to get out of the city to have a good experience

Yes, you could be smart or safe wandering around...but even then, what is there to see?? If that street scene is your idea of fun, fine. I can see older houses and burglarbars and a rundown neighborhood in a tropical setting here in south florida.

Why would anyone want to see that??

Why would people here even encourage others to try to 'sightsee" in a city with a high crime rate and not much to see?? Face it..there are plenty of places in the USA with "not much to see"....places that are not very safe or vacation worthy. How many people plan a fun trip to Gary Indiana or Newark New Jersey??

I really question why some people here want to encourage others to "see the real Belize" city when even travel books and websites pretty much admit there is little to see there, no good hotels, it is a run down shabby city with a high crime rate and our own State Dept has definite warnings on it.

The "good stuff" in Belize seems to all be OUTSIDE of the port/downtown area....jungles, ruins, cavetubing, cayes etc....

There are ports where you can walk right off the ship, no tender, and see things that are interesting and pretty, Nassau is a great example. They have really pretty old pastel buildings and interesting things. I am not that intimidated by the locals there and I like Nassau.

You can not compare that boring little street scene in Belize with the beauty of Nassau's govt buildings? From everything I have read, there is just not that much in walking distance to see in Belize City....if your idea of fun is walking around a run down neighborhood go for it.

I am going on a tour to the ruins and a plantation and I would encourage others to make plans also so they are not disappointed. YOu walk around the city and tell us about it.

Okay,

We all have our own perceptions about Belize and Belize City. But, most of us on these boards that are commenting are people who have seen it first hand.

Sharecruises, it looks like you are doing a lot of research and planning for your trip. That's great. We all like to research and find out what we can before we travel and the internet has opened up a whole new world for that. In addition to the negative that you are reading, try to find the positive.

Eons ago, I majored in Travel/Tourism. Yep, got a degree and all! Figured I wanted to travel and get paid for it. In one of my classes, we talked about the three types of travelers. Don't remember the exact names, but the first was the person who wanted the whole experience. These are people who go and immerse themselves into a different culture. The second are people like us on cruises. We like to see different countries and cultures, but want to come home at night to a nice bed and a great dinner. The third are those who want a completely sterile environment. Those people are the ones to tend to go to the Italian Pavilion at Epcot and then claim they've "seen" Italy. These are also those who tend to stay on a tour and get the "canned" information on the country.

I personally like to visit a country and talk to the locals. I remember as a kid being in Jamaica with my parents and my Mom asking a child if he'd ever seen snow. His response was "Yes! My school books have pictures of snow covered mountains!"

Those are the types of experiences that I personally want. I like to talk to the locals and get the real picture of the country. I love chatting with the kids and finding out about their school day. I want my kids to know that Game Boys are not standard issue and that not everyone gets to see TV on a regular basis. That some kids are very happy and proud to work alongside their fathers in the family store.

Also, I heard from several marketing people that if a person has a negative experience, they will tell, on average, 14 people about it. If a person has a positive experience, they will tell, on average, 4 people. (People tend to pass on more negative than positive!)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I personally love Belize and Belize City. Heck, there isn't a place yet that I don't want to go back to. But, I encourage everyone to visit the country and form your very own opinion. Take all the infomation you've gathered, hold on to it, but make your own experience.

Enjoy your travels!

Okay,

We all have our own perceptions about Belize and Belize City. But, most of us on these boards that are commenting are people who have seen it first hand.

Sharecruises, it looks like you are doing a lot of research and planning for your trip. That's great. We all like to research and find out what we can before we travel and the internet has opened up a whole new world for that. In addition to the negative that you are reading, try to find the positive.

Eons ago, I majored in Travel/Tourism. Yep, got a degree and all! Figured I wanted to travel and get paid for it. In one of my classes, we talked about the three types of travelers. Don't remember the exact names, but the first was the person who wanted the whole experience. These are people who go and immerse themselves into a different culture. The second are people like us on cruises. We like to see different countries and cultures, but want to come home at night to a nice bed and a great dinner. The third are those who want a completely sterile environment. Those people are the ones to tend to go to the Italian Pavilion at Epcot and then claim they've "seen" Italy. These are also those who tend to stay on a tour and get the "canned" information on the country.

I personally like to visit a country and talk to the locals. I remember as a kid being in Jamaica with my parents and my Mom asking a child if he'd ever seen snow. His response was "Yes! My school books have pictures of snow covered mountains!"

Those are the types of experiences that I personally want. I like to talk to the locals and get the real picture of the country. I love chatting with the kids and finding out about their school day. I want my kids to know that Game Boys are not standard issue and that not everyone gets to see TV on a regular basis. That some kids are very happy and proud to work alongside their fathers in the family store.

Also, I heard from several marketing people that if a person has a negative experience, they will tell, on average, 14 people about it. If a person has a positive experience, they will tell, on average, 4 people. (People tend to pass on more negative than positive!)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I personally love Belize and Belize City. Heck, there isn't a place yet that I don't want to go back to. But, I encourage everyone to visit the country and form your very own opinion. Take all the infomation you've gathered, hold on to it, but make your own experience.

Enjoy your travels!

Hmm....I do think I have found the postive...to get out of Belize City on some sort of tour <grin>

I find some of these posts very very misleading...to encourage others to think that Belize is the sort of port where you can just wander and have a good time is misleading. There are NO beaches that you can walk to, and not much interesting to see around the port and it can be dangerous.

I think I can talk to "locals" at the ruins and Trevor and his wife Cathy at the Smuggler's Run Plantation and people who work for them...and folks at the Tourist Village, maybe even the flea market behind it.

I just have no desire to walk much further..especially if the sights are as lackluster as that streetscene LOL>> geeze "bad" areas around Fort Lauderdale look more tropical and exotic than that LOL

Belize is somewhat different from other ports due to the barrier reef, the long tender time to get to the pier.....and the fact that MOST of the places that tourists to that country visit are a fair distance from the port itself.

I think it is a port where people should realize that unless they make plans to go outside the city they may be sorely dissappointed. Read the reviews...people who love Belize got outta Belize City and went to a caye, or cave tubing or to ruins or horseback ride at Smuggler's Run...people who did NOT like Belize City walked around outside the port, hassled, not much to see.

Now, as a student of travel, wouldn't you honestly agree that Belize is a sort of port where people should make plans and have an excursion planned???

"Now, as a student of travel, wouldn't you honestly agree that Belize is a sort of port where people should make plans and have an excursion planned???"

Nope!

I've seen it both ways and love it both ways!

First experience in Belize City we had to visit a local dentist. Long story, great outcome. Ended up walking back to the ship and talking to the locals and enjoying the local "experience".

On our second trip to Belize, we did the Shark/Ray Alley tour with Coral Breezes. Loved it!

Hope others make their own experience!

Enjoy!

Okay,

An interesting discussion. I think your mention of traveller "types" is quite relevant. I would guess that I fit somewhere between 1 and 2. I have done the "immerse yourself" experience (mainly when I was younger) and quite enjoyed it. But I must admit now that I am older, I still love to see different places and cultures but I want my comforts. I still occasionally do "1" type trips. When on these trips I never stay in large chain hotels. I much prefer B&Bs and small guesthouses and local restaurants. When I go down south, I either cruise or stay at "nice" resorts or "high-end" guesthouses but I always make a point of doing things that allow me to see some of the uniqueness each country has to offer (touring ruins, nature hikes etc).

I don't understand people who travel and then complain that everything is NOT like at home. I mean - isn't that the point of travel - to see and experience new things. If the unfamiliar is that distressing to someone, then I think they should be like agabbymama and not travel abroad at all. Most of this world is FAR poorer than North America and Western Europe. We exist in a pretty rarified bubble and if glimpses of the rest of the world are that painful to one - then I think it is better not to travel. Travel should be a pleasant not a painful experience.

Real extremes of poverty are not pleasant to see (and frankly should be a little guilt inspiring) and that is why I like to contribute to organizations who are trying to make the world a better place for all. However I think many people also don't understand what they see. To put it simply, there are people with less consumer goods than we have but who actually lead pretty tolerable lives and there are people who are living in such grinding poverty, they barely survive. If you see someone in a 3rd world country with small simple house - maybe just one or two rooms, some chickens and a pig in the yard, a small garden, clean clothes, in good repair, well-fed looking children who go to school every day - their lives are less affluent than ours but if you asked them, they would probably say, their lives are pretty good.

On the other hand, someone living on garbage dump (and yes some people do live on garbage dumps) in lean-to made out of cardboard with no regular source of income, constantly ill, undernourished children who don't go to school regularly (if at all), ragged dirty clothes and no hope of any improvement in their lives - well these people are going to be pretty miserable. Should you avoid countries where some people live in appalling conditions? I don't think so. I think you should spend your money there at local businesses that hire local people. I think you should look into donating to organizations that do something for the people living there. I don't think you should give money to kids begging on the street - - poor kids will skip school to beg if they can make money that way. That's my opinion for what it is worth.

I agree about the different types of travelers/tourists ....but I do resent the implication that people who go on a cruise to have a good time are somehow shallow or Ugly Americans....

like you, I feel I can contribute to the economy of Belize by taking a tour with some nice folks, paying admission to the ruins, buying stuff from vendors, buying soviniers...

There is a certain hypocrisy on some of these boards....if people are really such world travelers, get a backpack and go out there, join an archeological dig, live with a native tribe in a rainforest and film it for the Discovery channel...

IF one wants to be charitable, you can have a vacation for charity, build habitat for humanity houses, work in a medical clinic or whatever...

the OP stated they did not enjoy or feel safe in Belize...and I think that many people have said that...it is NOT an invalid statement...the real beauty of Belize seems to be outside of this port area/city...

The people on these boards are on cruises...they are not backpackers...some of them are older, or have kids with them, or are not that much into confrontations or willing and able to kill a mugger with their bare hands like the Carnival cruiser did in Costa Rica when armed muggers took over their tour bus....

Facts are facts. I am not big on ship tours, and even in Belize I have found a private tour. I just don't think this is a good port to "wander around" or attempt to rent a car and "experience the culture" for yourself. I don't advocate being an "Ugly American" but I refuse to be a hypocrite, which I personally find much uglier.

An example....my grandparents left a poor, downtrodden yet touristic "charming" country, Ireland....Ireland still retains much of it's old charm but the people there do not want to drive donkey carts, they want new cars, new computers, ipods, trips to spain, clothes from Italy, sushi bars and everything else other countries have...thanks to economic advances they have them...yes it may not be as "quaint" to look at, and people can bemoan the fact that the cute cottages sport satillite dishes now...but that is progress.

IMHO spend money and have fun in Belize on a tour, shop, eat, buy stuff, that helps the people who are working for it.

Sorry but I don't cruise to be politically correct. I have traveled all over Florida extensively for business, and refused to go back to the city of St Pete. Did not feel safe there.

I do not think you are being politically correct or incorrect, you are being frickin rude!

The photo was only an example of what a neighborhood in the city of Belize looks like. My family did not feel safe walking around so they stayed in a store with lots of other cruisers. I am adventurous and I like to see locals where ever I go. I can't believe people are so negative. I can't believe one of the other posters saying the things about Bush. Take the stick out of your @$$es and enjoy life.

Photocruiser

Sharecruises...how many times have you actually visited Belize?

For clarification...the "OP" stated that Belize has no McDonalds or welfare.

The millionaire mansions in St Pete was intended to show that you cannot condemn an entire city/country, etc. because of a small segment of the population. I'm sure I will still visit Ft Lauderdale.

Maybe as some people here point out, some Americans need to see how lucky we have it here at home. I actually have visited neighborhoods on the islands & so many of those people are very hardworking people, & VERY happy with their families. If you stop to talk to them, many have dreams, goals.

I just think that everyone is a lot better if we don't live with blinders on. A cruise is a cruise...but...many different things & reasons for different people as a previous poster stated. If I just want to have a good time, go fishing, etc. there are plenty of parks here in FL to go to. I can go out on my private boat to sun & fish. But I go to experience different things, people & culture, food, etc. I do not live in fear (but have common sense) otherwise I would have missed some great times if I had been sheltered. Just me, others are different & this really shouldn't be an arguement....because people have their reasons & nothing anyone says will change what they feel. Just agree to disagree.

I will report back after my cruise & let you know my experience. :)

Sharecruises...how many times have you actually visited Belize?

For clarification...the "OP" stated that Belize has no McDonalds or welfare.

The millionaire mansions in St Pete was intended to show that you cannot condemn an entire city/country, etc. because of a small segment of the population. I'm sure I will still visit Ft Lauderdale.

Maybe as some people here point out, some Americans need to see how lucky we have it here at home. I actually have visited neighborhoods on the islands & so many of those people are very hardworking people, & VERY happy with their families. If you stop to talk to them, many have dreams, goals.

I just think that everyone is a lot better if we don't live with blinders on. A cruise is a cruise...but...many different things & reasons for different people as a previous poster stated. If I just want to have a good time, go fishing, etc. there are plenty of parks here in FL to go to. I can go out on my private boat to sun & fish. But I go to experience different things, people & culture, food, etc. I do not live in fear (but have common sense) otherwise I would have missed some great times if I had been sheltered. Just me, others are different & this really shouldn't be an arguement....because people have their reasons & nothing anyone says will change what they feel. Just agree to disagree.

I will report back after my cruise & let you know my experience. :)

And I fully intend to see the sights in Belize and have booked a wonderful tour OUT of Belize City. I maintain that the interesting things to see are OUTSIDE OF BELIZE CITY

MY day is with a private tour...to the ruins of Altun Ha...with a quick tour of the city on the way....

and then to a Lime Plantation to see the farm animals, and enjoy a family style lunch of homeade tortillas and lime pie....with a lovely private tour guide and his wife....

I guess I could hang out with the locals outside the fenced in area and soak up Belize City atmosphere but no thanks

I had a great time in Jamaica too and loved it...cause I planned ahead.

IMHO some ports are ok to walk off and walk around...Grand Cayman, Bahamas, St Thomas, maybe Aruba, Curacuo etc...but others are best to have a plan/tour set up ahead of time ...like Panama, Costa Rica, Belize.

I will go on my tour..and you can wander around Belize city, and we can agree to share our experiences.

I do not think you are being politically correct or incorrect, you are being frickin rude!

The photo was only an example of what a neighborhood in the city of Belize looks like. My family did not feel safe walking around so they stayed in a store with lots of other cruisers. I am adventurous and I like to see locals where ever I go. I can't believe people are so negative. I can't believe one of the other posters saying the things about Bush. Take the stick out of your @$$es and enjoy life.

Photocruiser

Oh...so your family did not feel safe walking around...yet you are here telling other cruisers to enjoy life and walk around to meet the "locals" in Belize City?? Why didn't you tell your family and the "lots of cruisers" who had taken sanctuary in the store to come out and enjoy the City ??

LOL>> I rest my case

and I contributed to that. Most cities whether in US or Caribbean have good and bad areas. You use common sense when wandering off on your own. I don't take a cruise to save the population and they don't want anything from us except to spend our money. I'm no Jimmy Carter!

Oh...so your family did not feel safe walking around...yet you are here telling other cruisers to enjoy life and walk around to meet the "locals" in Belize City?? Why didn't you tell your family and the "lots of cruisers" who had taken sanctuary in the store to come out and enjoy the City ??

LOL>> I rest my case

That is exactly correct! The word is sanctuary for those who need it. I am a photographer and I do not harbor the fear or prejudice you have. And BTW LOL you need to rest your brain and stop your elitist crap.

Now I am going to make you guys smile. Here is a fellow passenger who on a snorkle trip on Goff's Cay in Belize had his chest hair braided. Let's get ready to LIGHTEN UP!

P8236781.jpg

I've been following this thread for sometime and finally decided to add my 2 cents worth. Don't claim to be and expert on Belize City and the country as a whole but I've been there quite a few times doing consulting work so I have experianced more than some who have visited, especially as a day port visit.

I will agree that Belize City is not a good example of the country as a whole. My wife and I were recently on the Enchantment and stopped there. (She had never visited Belize before) I told her before we tendered in not to expect too much and I wasn't wrong. Having said that, let me share a few things that you won't see unless you get outside the city. In no particular order:

North of the city heading towards Mexico, miles of fields of sugar cane with small towns and villages filled with friendly hard working people.

South of Belize City the jungle with the ruins and the Mayan people. Some of the friendlest people I've ever met. I still remember some who invited me into their homes (with dirt floors) to share a meal and hugged me with tears in their eyes the last time I left.

South and West, the rainforest and mountains. Have you ever seen a whole mountain side covered in Pineapples? Or avocados? What about "mommy apples?" Ever heard of the "trees beneath the trees" or even seen them? (Hint: think chocolate) Stands of mahogany trees so big that you could hardly reach around them and towering 100 feet tall, and the Mennonite community who operate the largest sawmill. You would marvel at the things they build with mahogany lumber. Clear rivers and mountain streams with waterfalls where the women wash their families clothes. They gather in a group and laugh and sing while doing so.

Animal, bird and plant life that you could only imagine and still not be accurate unless you've seen it.

I could go on but suffice to say, Belize is a beautiful and friendly country. Unfortunately you can't truly experiance it on a one day visit from a cruise ship and that's kind of sad. So, although I do agree that Belize City is a turn off, try to look beyond it if you get the chance. You'll fall in love with the country and it's people.

Happy Cruising!!

Tanker4

Hi Tanker...that is exactly what I have been saying....in spite of people who seem to want to advise others that wandering around Belize City is not only fun, but apparently a test of being "brave" and a good "non tourist"..

From all the pictures I have seen Belize looks really beautiful and I look forward to seeing the ruins and plantation..

however, the city itself I will see from an air conditioned van, on the way to the beauty outside the city. I think this is just not a good place for MOST of us non daring types to wander around LOL

Hi Tanker...that is exactly what I have been saying....in spite of people who seem to want to advise others that wandering around Belize City is not only fun, but apparently a test of being "brave" and a good "non tourist"..

From all the pictures I have seen Belize looks really beautiful and I look forward to seeing the ruins and plantation..

however, the city itself I will see from an air conditioned van, on the way to the beauty outside the city. I think this is just not a good place for MOST of us non daring types to wander around LOL

Then why didn't you just say that in the first place. It sounds more reasonable. Enjoy your trip.

Photocruiser

• 1 month later...

<<(banana ketchup...really yummy!) >>

Oh my, I haven't had that since the mid 1980's in the Philippines. I remember it being very good.

I love to sew--any good place to get a few yards or meters of fabric to take home?

Thanks,

Kelly

My first cruise coming on Carnival Glory, Western Caribbean March 8, 2008

While my DH went off on a horse riding excursion I decided to move beyond the pier area and was glad I did. I negotiated with a female taxi driver to do a walking tour of the city with me. It was terrific; through this lovely young lady I saw the city from a more local perspective. The lady pointed out the various buildings with pride even took me into the library and shared a lot of her personal life story with me. Pictures from my walking tour (see link beside my signature) do show a city that looks pretty run-down but I left with a good feeling and look forward to a return visit.

OK, I am going to try to put in a couple of photos from Belize City, I hope they come out, I am not so good at that part...

But anyway, Belize City is not scary. It is, however, pretty depressing compared to the rest of Belize. The country is great, but really, I think that many of your average cruisers will not enjoy it, when many are so used to getting off and seeing Carlos' n' Charlies, Margaritavilles, bargain gold & gems, Tommy Bahama outlets, slick streets with a big local tourism budget at work etc. There is none of that in Belize, so it is very different, and I think that it is a hard port for some to enjoy. If nature is not your thing- oh boy, you might be in trouble here.

As a reminder, look what the OP has stirred up never to rejoin this conversation. :confused:

OK, hopefully some pics:

20060114_162405_cj.jpg

In Belize City- on the 'wrong side' of the Swing Bridge looking towards the Fort neighborhood. We went to the sketchy part! And survived!! Oh my. (OK, it was daylight, and it wasn't the really bad part, but you get it)

20060114_154050_cj.jpg

Out in front of the Raddison resort area, in front of the monument to that guy who gave a bunch of money to the city after being cared for by locals when he was sick. (sorry for the vague facts, I can get more specific if anyone is really interested.)

But Belize is really a 'Get Out There' port of call. So for those people reading and worrying about a stop here- this is really an excursion /adventure based port, and you can really have an amazing time here.

OttoCal

OP -- Thanks for your post. I have not been to Belize before, but will be going there later this year, so I appreciate any input on what to see and do, including what not to do. I realize a lot of people have different opinions about things, different attitudes and different experiences, but I agree with your basic premise--I don't really want to use my vacation time to get depressed about the poverty in some places; I like to learn about different cultures and see historical sites, but whether one will have to deal with a lot of pressure for money from impoverished people is a factor (not necessarily the deciding one) on what I will see and do. That said, some of the best memories I have are from places off the beaten track where there was a lot of poverty and people aggressive in asking for money. I'm glad I went there, even if it was not the most comfortable experience. So thanks for the input; and thanks to all you others who have been to Belize City and have differing views. That's the best part about these boards--getting a lot of diverse inputs.

We took a cruise on the NCL Sun out of New Orleans in Feb 07 that ported at Belize and Guatemala (as well as Costa Maya & Cozumel) and both these stops would be considered 'poor' to a North American tourist. We found both these port calls to the highlight of our trip for what the didnt have to offer. Our interactions with the local people was stuff that we will never forget and was by far so much more interesting than port calls in St. Thomas or St. Maarten where the locals are as jaded as we Americans have become.

• 3 weeks later...

Cruising is a good thing if it leads to a reassessment of one's own life and one's approach to the rest of the world; perhaps even a reassessment of the President's approach to the world, whether "patriotic," "political," or simply "criminal." Some of us will always be fearful and will have to approach new experiences from beneath as much shelter as can be afforded us. Others of us are more comfortable reaching out, if only in small ways. My wife and I both worked as social workers in an American city for a number of years--together over half a century--yet when we began to cruise the Caribbean, we discovered poverty that had been unimaginable to us in our own environment.

There are things of value in every environment. In the poorest environment the things of most value are usually the services provided to the traveler. These include driving and guide services and food and shelter. Consider when you use these services not only what you are charged for them, but what they are worth to your safety and comfort and education in an alien environment. I have found that by tipping accordingly, I am able to help those who have helped me, and to acknowledge the sacrifices the people who have fed me or sheltered me or learned a great deal in order to educate me or learned to drive carefully and safely to make my journey safe, have made--not just for us as a couple of American tourists, but for any neighbor from abroad who wanted to visit--perhaps thousands of people with similar needs or desires.

Do I "overtip?" Perhaps. But as one great man observed, "If not now, when? If not me, who?" Relationships are built one person at a time, but as each one is important, try to see the person before you as in a mirror you see yourself, and do your best to encourage him. I hope all of you know what encouragement means to you. A little goes a long, long way.

After a few cruises we found that we felt we needed more time on the ground, to meet people, to share their food, their environment, their culture--to "get to know them." So we have taken to making stays in places we had only touched on in cruises. Belize is next. Our means are not so great that we can travel all the time, although we are both retired now and have more time available. But by carefully husbanding our resources, we feel we can--if only for a few weeks a year--make a difference in the lives of others, and perhaps in how they feel about themselves while they go about their daily work. What an opportunity it is! And how rewarding it has been for us!

When we get off the ship, we are entering the home of another: it is home to him: he will remain when the anchor is weighed and the ship pulls out to sea once more. How will he feel in his home after you have left?

Archived