Have the boards got slower?

Norfolk Brit

Am I getting more impatient and intolerant in my dotage, or have these boards become painfully slow? They are fine first thing in the morning (British time), but after about 3pm they make the average snail look like an Olympic athlete.

Obviously the problem (:)) is all our friends over the pond leaping joyously out of bed and logging on, but it seems to have got worse lately and I'm achieving even less than usual on the domestic front.

Am I getting more impatient and intolerant in my dotage, or have these boards become painfully slow? They are fine first thing in the morning (British time), but after about 3pm they make the average snail look like an Olympic athlete.

Obviously the problem (:)) is all our friends over the pond leaping joyously out of bed and logging on, but it seems to have got worse lately and I'm achieving even less than usual on the domestic front.

I was on at about 5-30am this morning and they were lightening fast; now they're painfully slow and last night they were so slow I was almost giving up (but not quite - I'd get with drawl symptoms).

Not only have the boards gotten slower but many times it is impossible to even get on. The total number of posts has gone way down which I am sure is hurting the advertising revenue. Sort of a catch 22 situation. Not enough server capacity to handle the popular site results in fewer postings which loses the site advertising revenue which makes it impossible to spend money to add server capacity which results in still fewer posts and so on down and down until one morning we may all wake up and find CC to be no more. Hopefully they will find the cash to be able to remidy this spiraling problem.

Hopefully they will find the cash to be able to remidy this spiraling problem.

I'm not sure that cash is the problem - the slowdown started several months ago before the new software, it has just got far worse in the past couple of weeks. There were messages saying that they were trying to sort it at the top of the forum but they've all gone now (or at least they are not there at the moment 16-50 GMT on 26 February 2007).

Slow site?, I'll say so, many times I've given up even trying to open pages so I post far less than I did. I've even got the stage of not even looking here as I've more important things to be doing than waiting and waiting and waiting...

Yes, pnhmrk is right, it's quicker first thing in the morning before the US wakes up but I think it's still slower than it was even at 0600 (UK time).

Maybe all the other boards are OK and it's just the Cumard Board that's running slow as they prepare us for the entry into service of Queen Victoria.

I don't want to call it a day here but if this carries on I may stay away for longer and longer periods.

Mary - you're not alone, we're all so addicted we panic when we can't get on. Sunday I gave up and that's been happening more and more. I guess it's just become so popular it can't handle the load. Let's hope for better days. Linda

I timed my DSL connection to get on the board. It was :53 seconds. To get on this thread, it "timed out" (fatal error) twice (1:20, and 1:30). The 3rd attempt was successful at :32 seconds. I am located in the US. Frustrating, but I still love the boards.

Rick

Its snail pace made me wonder if it was me and maybe my 7 yr old computer was ready for retirement, but then it's fine for other surfing. Thanks to your post I will stick to the computer I have and put the money toward the next cruise!!!!

Its snail pace made me wonder if it was me and maybe my 7 yr old computer was ready for retirement, but then it's fine for other surfing. Thanks to your post I will stick to the computer I have and put the money toward the next cruise!!!!

It's not the PC I'm sure. My 'old' laptop was taking 10 mins to virus check and connect to ISP. Browsing web sites was also slow. I bought a new laptop a couple of weeks go with a super fast processor and no program or download baggage. Sadly and exceptionally, this forum remains snail slow with frequent error reports.

I hope admin sort it soon:)

Slow isnt the word for the boards these days? when l hit the submit button, more ofthen than not lm timed out and the post appears somehow!

Guess this Cunard site must be be pretty busy;) but still not busy enough to have a Cunard roll call:D

anyway here goes......:)

Ah ha, I see there's now an announcement at the top of the boards saying that they're closing down for a while later today to try and fix the problem.

I must have more influence than I thought:).

Mary

Bravo Mary...well done! Thern again, anyone who has a cat with Vuitton luggage has to have a certain amount of influence!;)

I agree with Pepper...as usual...there's other things that need doing and these interminable waits get tedious. I'm finding myself giving up frequently and posting seldom. It's annoying to write a post and have it disappear.

I also get a little paranoid when told I have a fatal error...yikes? IS it contagious? :eek:

Please. CC...get fixed...we're a loyal bunch as you know but patience does wear thin.

Cheers, Penny

Its snail pace made me wonder if it was me

Our computers do the weirdest things, however that we are all experiencing these problems (and that the management have noticed somethings up!) means that it's not something we're doing wrong:)

And here we in the US have been waiting for you Brits hogging all the computing power (since you get on and get it first!) to go to bed (Malcolm NEVER sleeps! Matthew either!) so we could have a shot at it!

Well, last week I worked nights. And I can tell you that even some times in the middle of the night when ALL of us would likely be asleep, it was soometimes excruciatingly slow!

I've been sending them some of the info, including some JAVA scripting info (which is how the pages load) with as much detail as possible. In addition to this problem, I have an ancient computer with an old OS and I'm running Firefox, which upgrade three times ago seemed to start crashing me entirely in Java moments!

Karie, back on days... sort of

Am I getting more impatient and intolerant in my dotage, or have these boards become painfully slow?

Mary,

These are not necessarily mutually exclusive - it could be 'all of the above'!;)

Although, this morning, I very much suspect - neither!:)

The server does appear to be behaving....lets see what happens when the cousins join us....

Peter

Mary,

These are not necessarily mutually exclusive - it could be 'all of the above'!;)

Although, this morning, I very much suspect - neither!:)

The server does appear to be behaving....lets see what happens when the cousins join us....

Peter

Indeed, Peter; however did you know?:).

I hope this isn't pushing my luck, but thanks to the CC IT Department.

Mary

Come back Penny, lamnp, Pepper et al; someone has given the server a good talking to, and it's going so fast this morning I am having trouble keeping up.

Mary

Mary

I'm still here, and it does seem so much faster, hoping it stays that way, it's wonderful!

(Half the double posting problems are caused (IMHO) because it took so long that many (including me) pressed "submit reply" a second time).

Very best wishes,

Here's one of the American "cousins"...and speedy, speedy it is today! Just like old times...so far. Thank you CC...we knew you woulnd't let us down.

Now if someone could just fix my dopey little problem you'll see at the bottom of this post!! That's what I get for trying to do something on the computer that I am obviously not qualified to do...like putting a countdown clock on here. Somewhere in the process I did something wrong and this is what I ended up with! I am truly hopeless!!!!! Can you say "computer illiterate". :eek: Maybe it's a new statement of some sort...read it and figure out when I'm sailing on QM2!!!:rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

Here's one of the American "cousins"...and speedy, speedy it is today! Just like old times...so far. Thank you CC...we knew you woulnd't let us down.

Now if someone could just fix my dopey little problem you'll see at the bottom of this post!! That's what I get for trying to do something on the computer that I am obviously not qualified to do...like putting a countdown clock on here. Somewhere in the process I did something wrong and this is what I ended up with! I am truly hopeless!!!!! Can you say "computer illiterate". :eek: Maybe it's a new statement of some sort...read it and figure out when I'm sailing on QM2!!!:rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

Hello Penny, must admit I had noticed your little personalised countdown clock and wondered if loading it all had slowed the boards down:).

I was so busy laughing I posted my roll call for the wrong date (and you may note that I have not even attempted to post my countdown, as the whole thing will probably crash)

Welcome back (and if you could persuade your fellow countrymen to stay in bed, it may help a bit............), Mary

Hello Penny, must admit I had noticed your little personalised countdown clock and wondered if loading it all had slowed the boards down:).

I was so busy laughing I posted my roll call for the wrong date (and you may note that I have not even attempted to post my countdown, as the whole thing will probably crash)

Welcome back (and if you could persuade your fellow countrymen to stay in bed, it may help a bit............), Mary

You know, I hadn't thought that...I probably was the reason for the slowdown..(hangs head in shame)...I did spend a bit of time trying to figure it all out and then time trying to fix my obvious mistake! Yup, probably my fault...how astute of you to guess...and inform everyone of course.;)

And you hopefully noted the very civilized hour I posted...a time when you folks over there should be merrily at work doing what you are paid for and not cruising on CC!!;) Just my humble attempt to keep things rolling along:D

Cheers, Penny....who's off to check Mary's Roll Call

Now if someone could just fix my dopey little problem you'll see at the bottom of this post

[*img]http://www.cruisecritic.com/countdown/countdown.pl?name=patwell&date=11-10-2007?=Beach-10&text=Penny's "Affair to Remember" continues....&ship=Queen Mary 2 (QM2)[/img*]

Penny - I can't see anything obviously wrong with your code - It even tries to show a picture when you run it as a separate page (hence the *s I've added above to make it display as text).

I think the best thing to do is to try and remake your counter hopefully that will solve whatever bug is causing the fault.

(I've just had a thought - do you use copy/paste to transfer the code into your signature? If you're trying to retype the link that could be where the problem is).:)

Penny - I can't see anything obviously wrong with your code - It even tries to show a picture when you run it as a separate page (hence the *s I've added above to make it display as text).

I think the best thing to do is to try and remake your counter hopefully that will solve whatever bug is causing the fault.

(I've just had a thought - do you use copy/paste to transfer the code into your signature? If you're trying to retype the link that could be where the problem is).:)

Thanks Malcolm...maybe I got caught in the oboard glitches...nah, more likely it was me! I did try to change it and remove the text portion but it wouldn't let me do it! I know it's my stupidity although it would be nice to blame the boards;) I'll try to brave it later, and yes, I did copy and paste like I was told...that I can do with surprising success!;)

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions....they should NEVER tempt me with things I shoudn't be allowed to try!

Cheers, Penny

Actually, I can't find it anywhere; it's probably on Disney or somewhere similar. I blame the cat.

Regards, Mary

Mary...it's there...I'll go post to it so you can see it. Really cute to blame Martin, poor little kitty. Then again I blame Bear for anything I do wrong too. Shame on us...we're supposed to be above all that as humans!;)

Cheers, Penny

Archived