Is the Balcony worth the $$?

killdare77

Maybe it also has to do with where you live??

I can sit outside on my screened porch every day, or on my patio,
or run down the block to our complex pool, I can drive about 15 or 20 minutes and look at the ocean...and I like air conditioning <grin>

BUT>>>> I do want to go to Alaska and there I would want a balcony!

The snow, mountains, the wildlife would all be very different from what I normally see in Florida and I think the balcony would be worthwhile

For people who have been stuck inside all winter and then come to where it is warm and sunny and palm trees sitting out on the balcony is a treat!

Of course if there is a good deal a balcony would be nice on any cruise, but not necessary for me - except for (future) Alaska :)

I agree with those who say the window or balcony is a waste. A nice novelty if you have money to burn, but you can have the same cruise experience for a lot less with an inside cabin.

If you are the type that likes to spend a lot of time in the cabin, then you may find value in the open balcony. Myself, I want to be in the cabin as little as possible, and the upgraded room would not be used much.

Good question! My wife and I really debated this issue for our upcoming cruise and opted for the interior stateroom. Yikes! We did have a balcony for our honeymoon, however we rarely used it, go figure. However, from a budgetary perspective it just made more sense to skip the balcony. Perhaps when I'm old and gray, and my hair fades away I'll splurge for balcony.

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][COLOR=darkred][SIZE=6]We've decided to go for the balcony.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][COLOR=darkred][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][COLOR=darkred]The idea of early moring coffee and late night wine with a private view made the decision for us. Plus we figured out that one fewer Starbucks trip each per week between now and the cruise will pay for it.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][COLOR=darkred]Thanks for all of the great advice! :) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Our first cruise on the conquest and had an AFT balcony My DH said it was worth the little extra. We cant even think about a room with out one. With the curtians and door open it makes your room seem huge. We used it allot loved the wake of the ship. Had it open at night the sound was amazing. When we came into mobay the view was incredible. It was great in the morning you could get room service and enjoy coffee and pastries the sunrise and view and not have to worry about your hair and makeup being done till later. Much more relaxing.
Enjoy

[quote name='salty dingo']If you are the type that likes to spend a lot of time in the cabin, then you may find value in the open balcony. Myself, I want to be in the cabin as little as possible, and the upgraded room would not be used much.[/quote]

This is so not true! I'm one who does not like to spend anytime in my cabin. [I]I love to spend alot of time on our balcony:D [/I]
Whether you like to spend alot of time in your room has nothing to do with booking a balcony cabin. It's all about the balcony not the room. 2 complete different experiences.

[quote name='killdare77'][COLOR=darkred][COLOR=black][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=darkred]This will be our first cruise. We just discovered that for $130 each on our 7-day western Caribbean trip we can upgrade to a guaranteed balcony (from a guaranteed ocean view)[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred]. Since we’ve never cruised before, I’d like to hear your opinions on how much you really[/COLOR][COLOR=darkred] use the balcony and pros cons of the balcony room. :confused: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred]Thanks![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=magenta]You won't regret it. There is nothing better than sitting out there with your morning coffee or a drink in the afternoon. Go for it.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Our first was an inside (price) subsequent were all balconies because I shopped for a good deal. This time...again a great deal, (my balcony is/was the same cost as an ncl inside). For $137 2ppl grab it...$137 4/ppl I would give that some thought. As most folks said.....a balcony is wonderful for a variety of reasons. Either way, dont fall into the regret mode.... just enjoy.

Yes, a balcony is nice, I have sailed in an OV 4 times and a balcony 3 times. The chairs that Carnival puts on the balcony are so horrible that it almost makes sitting out there NOT worth it. Think one crappy plastic upright chair, and one strange lounger that is like sitting on the floor. Its nice to look out, but it won't make or break your cruise either. On NCL I got upsold to a aft penthouse and then had these huge teak loungers with cushions. That spoiled me, and Carnival's balconies are a let down. The actual cabins are so much more spacious than other cruise lines. If you can swing the extra money, its worth it, but I would never NOT book a cruise because I couldn't have a balcony.

Archived