New York Taxi fares

debsjc

We are going to need 3 taxi trips, and I wanted to get a rough idea of fares if possible.

Also if there are any routes I should ask the driver to avoid - I wouldn't want them to take a really long route, to make us pay a higher fare :rolleyes:

1- JFK airport to the Waldorf Hotel

2- Waldorf to the port to board the Noordam

3 - Port to just near JFK (we have a day room booked at an airport hotel before our evening flight home)

Hello debsjc,

It's been a while since I've taken a taxi between JFK & Manhattan, but the following website will give you an idea of the cost and time:

http://www.ny.com/transportation/taxis

Note that the fares shown on that page are for local trips within Manhattan only; click on "airport pages" (or go directly to http://www.ny.com/transportation/airports/jfk.html) for information about taxis to & from the airport, including price guidelines.

Here's a thought: Rather than taking a taxi into Manhattan from JFK, you could take the New York Airport Service Express Bus (coach), which will take you directly from your arrivals terminal to Grand Central Station in Manhattan, non-stop, for only $13 per person, according to the web page I've referenced above. From there, you could take a shuttle bus or taxi to the Waldorf, which is only a few minutes' drive from Grand Central. The fixed price and smoother ride are two advantages in taking the bus; you also wouldn't have to worry about possibly being taken the wrong way!

The West Side pier from where the Noordam departs (& where it arrives on its return, of course) is a short & easy cab ride from the Waldorf. Depending on the traffic, the trip should take 15-25 minutes. (Basically, you will be going across Manhattan from east to west.) The ride from the pier to the airport will be pretty much the same as your initial ride from the airport into Manhattan--just a couple of miles longer, distance-wise.

If taking a taxi from JFK to Manhattan: In general, the fastest/most direct route from JFK to the Waldorf is as follows: Van Wyck Expressway (Route 678) north to the Long Island Expressway (aka the L.I.E.; Route 495) westbound. The L.I.E. takes you directly into Manhattan through the Midtown Tunnel; once in Manhattan, you'll probably drive up Madison Avenue or Park Avenue to the Waldorf.

(The Van Wyck is the only highway directly into & out of JFK, so drivers are pretty much confined to that road for part of the journey, unless there's a major accident or other snafu holding up traffic on the Van Wyck--in which case the driver may opt for parallel side streets to get around the jam. In any case, both the Van Wyck & the L.I.E. are subject to pretty horrendous traffic, & the going can be sloooowwww . . . especially during rush hour. The trip to or from JFK could take as much as an hour or more.)

Hope this info helps. Enjoy your visit to New York, & your cruise too!

We are going to need 3 taxi trips, and I wanted to get a rough idea of fares if possible.

Also if there are any routes I should ask the driver to avoid - I wouldn't want them to take a really long route, to make us pay a higher fare :rolleyes:

1- JFK airport to the Waldorf Hotel

2- Waldorf to the port to board the Noordam

3 - Port to just near JFK (we have a day room booked at an airport hotel before our evening flight home)

1. $45.00 plus tolls and tips a fixed amount.

2. The Walfdorf is at 50th Street and Park Avenue.

Noordam leaves from the West side cruise terminal at 54th Street and 12th Avenue. About a mile as the crow flies. Under $10.00 unless traffic isn't moving at all.

3. The fixed rate to JFK from Manhattan is $45.00 plus tolls and tips but I don't know if it applies to an airport hotel. If the cab driver says no. You can always have him drop you off at a terminal and get the free hotel Van.

www.nyc.gov/tlc

Archived