Cruising from Port Liberty during the Winter - I have a few questions

TennisLover

I am investigating options for a cruise next February and thinking about the Explorer, which is a 9 day cruise out of Port Liberty.

With the weather we have in the NE and how horrible it has been up and down the eastern seaboard this month, I am interested in hearing from others who have weathered this trip (literally!).

Is it really cold? Really rough?

Is there enough to do on-board before you hit the warm weather?

it would be nice not to have to fly to a cruise, but not sure it's worth dealing with the weather!

Would love to hear from anyone with experience in this.

We were on a 12 night trip on Celebrity last year at the end of March that left from Cape Liberty. It was kind of chilly and rainy when we left but we were able to drive to the port which was nice.

What we didn't like was that the 1st stop was Charleston, SC and that meant that the 1st sea day was too cold for using the pool, etc. and then we had the day in Charleston which was comfortable - but still not really pool weather.

By the time we had warm weather we were in the 4th day if you cound day 1 as the day you board the ship.

We then had 2 sea days at the end of the cruise and we found that we could still use the outdoor pool with bathing suits until after lunch - but then it was cold again.

This year we are flying to get right to the warm weather.

We enjoyed the trip last year - but we did find it cooler that expected.

I have been of the Voyager and we left Bayonne a few days before Thanksgving in 30 degree weather.

By the time we woke up on our first full day at sea we were able to enjoy the mini golf course and walk around outside but needed heavy sweatshirts and jackets. By the second full day at sea, we were off the coast of Florida heading to the Bahamas and were able to start swimming. As for the rough seas, the ship is big and has a very good stabilzing system so I did not feel much movement.

You honestly will lose two days of a tropical feeling cruise because of the temperatures so keep that in mind when picking a cruise from the northeast in the winter.

Archived