Wanted: any good cruising advice

denalialaska

We will be taking our very first cruise in just over a week. Coral Princess Round trip Ft. Lauderdale through the Panama Canal. Looking for good advice on land excursions, dress code, food options etc. There will be 8 of us in all, ages ranging from 24 through 66. Most interested in zip lines, scuba and/or snorkeling, and taking in local culture.:o

Dress code is casual, except at dinner. Then it's business casual (no jeans or shorts in dining room at night) on casual nights and there will be 2 formal nights. The dress code is listed in the back of your cruise book you received.

If you've never cruised before, you might want to take advantage of some of the excursions through the ship - it's a good way to get the feel of being in different ports daily.

Also, with 8 people going, make sure that you all don't feel you have to be together 24/7. A cruise is much more relaxing with a group if you can all find the time to go your own way sometimes.

Oh - and pack a bathing suit in your carry on so you can use the pools before your luggage arrives in your room!

Have a wonderful time.

Although you will be cruising in somewhat benign weather, be sure to take along an umbrella. While in the Panama area, use your binoculars, there are some fantastic flora and fauna to observe.

Keep a short journal of what you see and do and enter into it each. When the cruise is over, one has a tendency to forget what happened when. Several years from now after you have many cruises completed, you will appreciate your notes from this first cruise.

Jim

You're very fortunate to be taking your first cruise on such a great ship and special itinerary! Be sure to catch some of the shows and other activities in the Universal Lounge. It is quite the technical marvel -- especially the cooking demonstrations.

Definitely take a ship's tour in Costa Rica. It is a very beautiful country, but you need to get away from the dock area.

We have done the Panama Canal trip twice and I would go back in a heartbeat. The only ''down'' thing I've experienced on the trip was the Sea to Sea excursion in Panama. What should have been an 8 hour tour turned into 12! I can't say that I would recommend doing it.

Also if you are going to Grand Caymen, I can highly recommend the Queen Elizabeth Gardens. It is not one of the more popular destinations, but it is truly a hidden jewel.

Enjoy your trip and the Coral Princess!

Check out the ports of call links on the message boards. I haven't done the Panama Canal but have ready that many people enjoy seeing it from the ship more than getting off the ship.

Get a balcony stateroom- it is so worth it.

Pack lots of wrinkle free black clothes- easy to mix and match.

Take advantage of port day specials in the spa.

Do traditional dining. You will get to know the wait staff and they will remember all of your likes and dislikes. I didn't care for anytime dining.

1.Pack half the clothes you think you will need....

2.Take twice the money you think you will need.

Explanation: 1.Despite rumours to the contrary, you do not need to look like you stepped out of "Style" magazine 24/7. During the day ships are pretty casual. 2.You will be suprised at how quickly ships charges will mount up, especially if you drink, even moderately. The above posters advise about checking your statment is right on, at least until you get comfortable with your cash flow. Remember gratuities are added to your statement daily. Don't underestimate your expenses and not have anything left for shopping/souveneers in port.

Gilbert

Our favorite cruise and ship. 4 times so far last time in October 2005. When you get to the Panama Canal be sure you are either on deck or or your balcony when going through the canal. As far as tours the "coast to coast" by rail is great but the tour by boat of the canal is even better. You get to go into the locks and can feel the walls and doors of the locks as your boat is lowered. When you get to Limon you might want to consider the narrow gauge rail journey through the jungle.

Archived