Is it "legal" to start a cruise on the second day at the first port?

consmarci

Hi...a hypothetical...trying to get 3 families together for a cruise, a family reunion type thing. Is it legal or allowed to join the cruise on the second day when the ship is in port if the family can't get there for the sailoff day?
This is not a case of a missed plane or plane delay. This would be a planned thing. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate your input...thanks.

I think you would have to call the cruiseline directly, I would think no because you have to get your S&S card at the main port, you get your picture taken there and that is where you fill out all the nesscesary info to board

It is basically the same as with airplanes, you can't get on a place in a city the plane has a layover in... but on a larger scale because you are involving customs. You have to embark at the embarkation port, there is alot involved in getting a passenger checked in... Now, they can boot you off at any port, LOL... but no getting on.

You can get on at another port. I just spoke to my PVP at Carnival yesterday about this. He said it's not common but it can be done. They would also pro-rate the price of the cruise depending on when the person gets on the ship.

You may want to check with Carnival... We are chartering a ship and needed to have executives fly into the ports at different times and board then... we were told that if they were a ticketed passenger and did not arrive at embarkation, they would be considered a "no show" passenger and customs regulations would not allow a passenger to board in a foreign country... Then again, each time you call Carnival you get a different story... we are working with a charter planner, but I will make sure to double check with her, as it would make this much easier....

Our son had a final test rescheduled on the date of departure out of Galveston this past December. We inquired and were told he could join us in route, which he did on the second day in Cozumel. The only glitch was that without the ship pass, he could not pass through the local security to access the ship with just his passport.

Without any Carnival personnel in sight to assist, we waited for a crowd returning to the ship and snuck him through. When we got to the ship, he was issued the ship pass w/o photo.

Had we not made the request before sailing, he would not have been in the computer system to join in route and I think the degree of difficulty would have been greater. I suspect we still might have managed. We had the ticket after all.

I have done this several times for clients, but not with Carnival. If you make prior arrangements, it will not be a problem. They will be checked in as usual when they board the ship. I wouldn't count on them pro-rating the cost of the cruise, as the cabin is being held for them for the entire cruise.

For the poster who was meeting their son in Cozumel, you could have gone back to the ship and gotten a Carnival rep who would have been able to get your son through the checkpoint.

"For the poster who was meeting their son in Cozumel, you could have gone back to the ship and gotten a Carnival rep who would have been able to get your son through the checkpoint."

The pier walk to the ship from the security checkpoint was long enough that bicycle taxis were been used to move the less ambulatory passengers (close to one mile). Had that been necessary, I guess that would have been Plan B. However, with a bit of innocent stealth, I'm sure we saved more than an hour.

Archived