New York City (Manhattan) Pizza

Could someone tell me please where the best place to get Pizza in New York City (Manhattan) is? I understand that the Pizza in New York is better than anywhere else so I would really like to try it out. Thank you. Happy Sailing, Joy

I'm headed to NYC tomorrow for 6 days and my first pizza dash is to Joe's in greenwich Village....Its sooo good and its zagat rated I think as well.

Try the pizza at Rays, or Famous Rays, or Rays Famous, or Famous Original Rays, or Original Famous Rays, or Original Rays, or Rays Original, or Original Rays Famous, or Famous Rays Original, or even Ray Bari. You'll find them on every block of every Avenue. They all serve a cookie cutter NY style slice, a doughy but crisp on the bottom crust with lots of cheese.

But the acknowledged bests are Lombardi's, as mentioned above, located in SoHo, Patsy's, on First Avenue in East Harlem, and John's of Bleecker Street, located on Bleecker Street in the Village of course, and in a beautiful space on W. 44th Street in Times Square.

The real question is what kind of pizza do you like best? John's on Bleeker and Lombardi's are the real thin crust kind. Ray's and such are the thicker crust kind. There are Ray's all over the place and they are ok. John's and Lombardi's are great thin crust, there is always a wait. Depending on where you ar staying in NYC, there is probably a great pizza joint on almost every corner. If you want to have a drink with your pizza, there is a place called Crocodile Lounge on 14th Street between First and Second Avenues. With a drink you get a free pizza. Not the best pizza but good, gets better the more you drink.

While you're at it, try a New York bagel too.

My vote is for Johns in Times Squae and if you get there around 11:30 on a non-matinee day you can usually beat the crowds. Sit in the main part of the restaurant because the stained glass ceiling is amazing. Enjoy!!!

If you are staying at the Algonquin, you won't need a cab to get to Johns in midtown. It's on 44th Street, I think between Seventh and Eighth Avenues.

I wasn't kidding about the bagels too. If you can, go to Ess-A bagels, there's one on 51st and Third. You won't be disappointed.

My vote is for Johns in Times Squae and if you get there around 11:30 on a non-matinee day you can usually beat the crowds. Sit in the main part of the restaurant because the stained glass ceiling is amazing. Enjoy!!!

John's Pizzeria is our favorite as well. Across from the Schubert isnt it?

But the acknowledged bests are Lombardi's, as mentioned above, located in SoHo, Patsy's, on First Avenue in East Harlem, and John's of Bleecker Street, located on Bleecker Street in the Village of course, and in a beautiful space on W. 44th Street in Times Square.

John's on Bleecker was just closed for health violiations

John's on Bleecker was just closed for health violiations

Yes, it was on the news last night.

But Johns in Times Square is fabulous! They are on 44th St. As someone else said, ask to be seated in the main dining room. You have to order a whole pie, not just a slice, but the pies are either 6 slice or 8 slice.

Bravo Pizza - across the street from Grand Central Station and The Grand Hyatt Hotel. Little tiny place - those are the best.

I lived in NYC for MANY years!!!

We found this place last year on a Thanksgiving Visit to the apple.

Archived