RE: Dress Code for Kids

doolange

Hi!

I am leaving Tues. on the Legend with a group of about 60 of us, including many kids. Some of the Moms feel a nice short outfit ie. dress shorts will be o.k. on the casual nights. On formal nights the kids will wear slacks and a dress shirt. On the other nights will we get "harassed" about kids wearing nice dress shorts???

Some of us say no and others are afraid to take the chance. Any help is appreciated.

This is my opinion only. Just trying to help. It really depends on the ages of the kids. A toddler in a "Buster Brown" shorts kind of outfit can be both dressy and extremely cute. A 14 year old in shorts at dinner is underdressed. This is just my opinion. I am quite certain you will get more.

Shorts are not allowed in the dining room, but that does not mean you can't eat... you can wear casual wear to the lido buffet as well... the dress for the dining room is "resort casual" and formal night is suit or tux for males and dressy for women... If you want to do the dining room, Khaki pants would be fine for the boys, they could wear them a couple of times and they do have laundry facilities on board.. there are a couple of options where to eat, just depends on your mood, what you feel like wearing and what you care to eat... Carnival lists the recommended dining attire on it's website and catalog....good luck and have fun on your cruise!!!

Kids 8-13 definitely should put on something other than shorts for dinner in the dining room in the evening. As GC said, they are not allowed. This is a great opportunity to teach them about what is proper and expected, show them how nice they will look and enjoy a wonderful new experience. :)

Just sailed the Elation with my 8 year old grandson. He was "requested" by his parents to eat 3 nights out the 7 in the main dining room with the family and 4 nights with his Camp Carnival friends. He wore khaki's with caribbean style shirts with colors both nights, except on the formal night he work black slacks, black vest, white long sleeve shirt with black banded trim and tie. He looked wonderful. For Camp Carnival evenings he wore shorts.

I agree with other posters. Any boy over age 4, should have a pair of "Docker-type" pants. If you don't want to buy new....look at the consignment shops or thrift shops in your area.

Our boys are older. Both are 18...and each brought 2 pair of Dockers.......on formal nights.......they wore nice, long sleeved shirts and ties (along with the Dockers, LOL).......and they looked fine. If kids don't have a sport coat/jacket.....I wouldn't bother buying one. My husband wore same nice jacket both formal nights.........just with different shirt and tie.

And of course.....you have the option of eating in other places......I agree with other posters on this too......it's a great opportunity for children to experience the delight of "fine dining".......what a perfect opportunity to explain what to do with 10 pieces of flatware (counting the butter knife)......work from the outside in! We thoroughly enjoyed the dining room on the Pride every night.........except our one very rough day at sea.......I don't think very many people ate there that night!!!

Enjoy..........the kids will love it too.......and they don't have to be afraid of the "fancy food"..........even though my niece was dressed up........she had chicken strips and french fries every night!! Not my choice........but it was hers!

Have a wonderful cruise.........and you'll soon be planning your next, like I am!

It amazes me that adults can't follow simple rules, but it is even more disturbing when we are teaching our children they don't have to obey them either.

Dang, shorts are not allowed, why not simply follow the rules or eat somewhere else?

It amazes me that adults can't follow simple rules, but it is even more disturbing when we are teaching our children they don't have to obey them either.

Exactly. We were proud of how our daughter looked on formal nights, and better yet, non formal nights.

If these people were turned away at the doors for not following the dress code, would they even be asking these questions? It wouldn't matter.

My last cruise, instead of money, I put a note in the tip envelope for the Maitre d' that there was no tip due to the fact he didn't do his job of enforcing the dress code policy, which is theirs, not ours. I don't think I have to hear "WHY DID I HAVE TO DRESS UP AND THEY DON'T", when I can't answer that question. It's simply a bad lesson.

Boys ages 8-13 should be expected to follow the dress code.....And no, nice shorts are not acceptable in the main dining room. My sons (ages 14 and 17) were expected to meet us at dinner each night and to be dressed appropriately. Both wore Docker-style slacks and shirts with a collar. On formal nights, both boys wore suits with dress shirts and ties. Second hand stores and garage sales are great places to find dress clothes at inexpensive prices. You can also find great sales in the stores this time of year. I bought my 14 year-old's suit at Penney's and only paid $50.00 for it!!!!

When I was a little girl (many years ago) we were taught when dressed up we were to act like a lady. We learned to sit properly, use our manners and in general be a joy to be around. Same things for little boys. My daughters are now 29 and 30 and are teaching their young ones the same rules as they were taught. I'm also raising my second family, I have an 11 year old. When she came to live with us as a foster child, she had no idea how to dress, act or even mingle with adults. While I do not expect a child to always be on their best behavior, I do expect them to know how to act when in a formal or public setting. We cruise because we like the ambiance. We love formal nights, and we are teaching our daughter how to dress and act in a formal situation. She will even ask, "which fork do I use for this course, etc.?" There will come a time when those lessons are valuable, a case in point.... my work has me working with college students, helping them find thier first jobs, I am amazed at how many don't know how to dress for a interview, how to order off a menu in a formal setting, how to choose a proper wine, or generally how to hold their own in an interview.

There is time on every cruise to dress up and to dress down. When we are dressed for formal night and our daughter observes adults and children who are not properly dressed, her comment to us is, goodness they don't have very good manners now do they?

Archived