How do you do formal night?

JimandLouise

How do you do formal night?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. How do you do formal night?

• Its a 'special night' I'll get in a tux any chance I get.
    • Why waste the money on a tux when a dark suit will do?
    • I attend formal nights but I don't dress for the occasion.
    • I stick to room service or Horizon Court those nights - I don't want to dress up.

HR.. Look at the times.. You.. Me 80 minutes later.. You 5 minutes later.. I think you have the 5 minute thingie reversed :D

Shipkicker.. I do not remember making insulting or name calling remarks towards you. If it appeared that I did I apologize. I am just trying to learn.. :eek:

Largin..have you ever tried leaving something just alone? The more people continue to say the wall is white the more I will be here and everywhere to delare it black when I know it too be black...is that not obvious to you? anyways it's enough!

By the way, bdjam, I was giving you three cheers until I got to the last paragraph in your post. Aside from that paragraph, I whole heartedly agree! BRAVO BDJAM!
I’m sorry that you don’t agree with my entire post, but then again I wouldn’t have anything to debate if you did. The last paragraph of that post is somewhat of an emotional statement. You suggested previously that those of us who don’t like the fact that the formal dress on Princess is not mandated on formal evenings should seek another cruise line. My counter to that argument is that one of the reasons I choose Princess is because it has a good mix of formal and casual evenings, and I would like to enjoy the formal evenings the cruise line offers with all that it involves. Maybe my definition of formal evenings is dated, but to me, a formal event includes dress. Why is it that I should have to give that up because someone doesn’t want to bother? Right, I’m not going to say that my evening – much less my cruise – is going to be ruined because someone chooses not to participate in the formal evening. But lack of proper dress spoils the ambience and for me that’s part of the event. Why should I have to give that up? Just so someone else can be comfortable stuffing their face at the dinner table? I guess now it’s my turn to be selfish, but the arguement always seems to be that those who don't want to dress are put out by the expectation that they do.

No one ever looks at the other side of the coin.

HR.. Look at the times.. You.. Me 80 minutes later.. You 5 minutes later.. I think you have the 5 minute thingie reversed :D

Shipkicker.. I do not remember making insulting or name calling remarks towards you. If it appeared that I did I apologize. I am just trying to learn.. :eek:

Largin,

I deliberately did not name anyone. I see the pattern here. Last thread, the same thing happened. I have read the guidelines concerning posting on Cruise Critics. There are some recent posts that were personally directed towards other posters in an unfavorable tone. I have not reported the matter and have no intention of doing so, as I didn’t in the last thread, but it still disappeared. I still predict this thread will get pulled.

Here I am posting when I said I would wait…

Just hope “they” sanction the responsible individuals, not the entire group!

We'll Shipkicker as someone who has been to the "exclusive banned club" what has been transpiring on here does not contraveen the boards guidelines..may come close to the line but no one crossed over it just yet! There is a pattern that has started to emerge time and time again...the way I see some people just want to "ram" something down your throat until you regurgitate or give-in...this too me doesn't seem like a sense off "community" or in the spirit of cooperation. However I will continue too defend the weak and feeble!

I don't feel silly calling a true woman a "puss"..cause someone would know the difference between "puss" as in "Puss and Boots" and the other connetation of "Puss*" If I wanted to use the later I would of and that would have constitued your "name calling"...Get Over IT and move on to something else to lament about!

OK – have we crossed the line now? How much further do we have to go?

While I don’t agree with a good number of the posts on this topic, I do like a good debate and would prefer to see that this thread not be eliminated because people can’t control themselves. My suggestion – and this would be much stronger than some would like to believe are the dress guidelines for Princess cruises – would be to stick to the topic and if your post doesn’t mention the topic, don’t post it...see my "never mind" post above.

Largin..have you ever tried leaving something just alone? The more people continue to say the wall is white the more I will be here and everywhere to delare it black when I know it too be black...is that not obvious to you? anyways it's enough!

HR.. I have no idea what you are talking about... :rolleyes:

I’m sorry that you don’t agree with my entire post, but then again I wouldn’t have anything to debate if you did. The last paragraph of that post is somewhat of an emotional statement. You suggested previously that those of us who don’t like the fact that the formal dress on Princess is not mandated on formal evenings should seek another cruise line. My counter to that argument is that one of the reasons I choose Princess is because it has a good mix of formal and casual evenings, and I would like to enjoy the formal evenings the cruise line offers with all that it involves. Maybe my definition of formal evenings is dated, but to me, a formal event includes dress. Why is it that I should have to give that up because someone doesn’t want to bother? Right, I’m not going to say that my evening – much less my cruise – is going to be ruined because someone chooses not to participate in the formal evening. But lack of proper dress spoils the ambience and for me that’s part of the event. Why should I have to give that up? Just so someone else can be comfortable stuffing their face at the dinner table? I guess now it’s my turn to be selfish, but the arguement always seems to be that those who don't want to dress are put out by the expectation that they do.

No one ever looks at the other side of the coin.

Darn it can’t resist!!

I didn’t start this thread and have as much right to respond within this thread as anyone else does. Not that you or anyone indicated otherwise. I guess I am saying I didn’t go looking for this debate.

I don’t believe I suggested anyone seek another cruise line. I believe I wondered why anyone who finds the rightful decision of any passenger to dress in accordance with the policy would continue to patronize a cruise line that does not mandate a dress code at the their standards.

but the argument always seems to be that those who don't want to dress are put out by the expectation that they do.
I never said or indicated that was my opinion. Since I am in accordance with the dress code, formal wearing passenger’s expectations have no bearing in my choice of dress style. In fact, I have quite the contrary opinion. (Caution: Absurdity again) If anyone wants to duck tape a flower pot to their head and sit in the sun by the pool sunning their plant, I fully support them.

You may have noticed I don’t have much support here. However, the same question could be posed to those formal wearing passengers. Why is the formal dresser “put out” by us non-formal wearing passengers? I still maintain, if anyone is “put out” they should be “put out” at Princess. Formal wearing passenger’s opinions may be that I should adhere to the suggested dress code. I support that opinion; however, it is not required by the cruise line. I am not violating any policy! Therefore, isn’t that desire to cause non-formal wearing passenger to comply with the suggested dress code misdirected? Shouldn’t those that don’t care for us non-formal wearing passengers seek their remedy with those that establish and enforce the dress policy? With all due respect, that is not an opinion, it’s based in policy. As I have said numerous times, call the cruise line and ask, they will confirm what I have said in this forum. The dress policy is there, it is undeniable. For anyone to place the issue in the laps of the non-formal wearing passengers is incorrect, there is no foundation for their distaste! For formal wearing passenger’s to attack, berate and label us with pejoratives and as classless is incorrect.

On the majority of cruises I have been on, tuxedos/dark suits for men, long gowns/cocktail dresses for the women were the standard. I think people tend to dress more formally on longer cruises than on 3-7 day cruises. Personally I prefer a tux cuz my honey says I look sexy in it.. :D

HR.. My first post on this subject.. Nothing controversial..

LARGIN et al can we let this just fade into the sunset?...like people with no understanding of the meaning "puss" to not contraversial to contraversial, to formal is formal...I just think this is all "irrational exuberance" going on on here and it's turned into one free for all...and yes when you(LARGIN) post snipets like..."I bet HR you only tip the blackjack dealers when you win" kinda post, youre gonna get some of it back and then some from me and others...what do you think I am a doormat?...

Geez HR.. I know you can dish it out.. I thought you could take it too.. If you noticed, the tip comment was followed by two :D :D . Did not realize you were so thin skinned.. :D About starting snide remarks, you might want to review some of your older posts :D

LARGIN I do have thick skin, much thicker than most on here and I do take it a lot for one reason..not to be banned because a few on here deserve more than the usual type of response I give...and regarding the previous post and supposed "snide" (I didn't say snide remarks ...I said snipets) I wouldn't be throughing rocks at glass houses if I were you with the posts you have under your belt either!

bdjam I saw your original post with all the cut and paste that you put together and then 2 minutes later did edit it to "never mind"..is that what you're referring to?
That’s what I’m referring to – I decided to go back and take my own advice.
I don’t believe I suggested anyone seek another cruise line. I believe I wondered why anyone who finds the rightful decision of any passenger to dress in accordance with the policy would continue to patronize a cruise line that does not mandate a dress code at the their standards.
And I guess I read that to imply the same thing. Sorry if that’s not what it meant.
Since I am in accordance with the dress code, formal wearing passenger’s expectations have no bearing in my choice of dress style.
If you prefer to stay with that argument, that’s fine – but really it’s based on the way one defines “suggested” and I think that it can be countered with a well documented list of definitions of the word. I don’t think you can deny the spirit of the evening that the cruise line is trying to present and the fact that the dress guidelines are presented to facilitate the formal evenings. Formal dress is certainly not suggested for Island Night – there’s a reason for the suggestion. I personally think the spirit behind formal evenings outweighs the reading of “suggested” as you are using it.
Why is the formal dresser “put out” by us non-formal wearing passengers? I still maintain, if anyone is “put out” they should be “put out” at Princess. Formal wearing passenger’s opinions may be that I should adhere to the suggested dress code. I support that opinion; however, it is not required by the cruise line. I am not violating any policy!
I guess I just don’t understand why Princess has to mandate dress for it’s passengers to understand what the cruise line is trying to convey with a formal evening. Right, the dress is suggested by Princess, indicating what’s proper for formal events. But why does a cruise line have to tell us this? Shouldn’t we be able to ascertain proper dress without having to read a rule book? Why doesn’t anyone care anymore?
For anyone to place the issue in the laps of the non-formal wearing passengers is incorrect, there is no foundation for their distaste! For formal wearing passenger’s to attack, berate and label us with pejoratives and as classless is incorrect.
Again, if we want to lay all the responsibility on the cruise line and take none for ourselves, then you’re correct.

I just copied this from the Princess website...

On Formal nights, appropriate attire includes evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies and tuxedos, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men.

Archived