Taxi from Airport in Istanbul

Our cruise departs from Istanbul in May and we plan to get there a day ahead and stay overnight in a hotel (allstar Ambassador Hotel) in Sultanahmet.

The hotel offers transportation from the airport for 40 euros for two people, but this seems a bit high. Does anyone know about approx what a taxi would cost for the trip from the airport to Sultanahmet area? Also, how easy is it to get a taxi?

Also, how problematic is it to use a taxi there? We will have all of our luggage with us too.

Your experiences and insights will be appreciated!

Thanks.

Cabana Girl,

I was happy to see your post as I will disembark in Istanbul the 1st week in Aug. I have researched hotels suitable for a lady solo traveler and I have decided to stay overnight at the Ambassador Hotel, too~~before my flight back to the States.

I like the idea of a small property in a great location.

As to the hotel transportation, ask at the Reception Front Desk as to Taxi's. I was pleased that the Staff speaks English!

Please post upon your return. I will be anxious to hear about the Ambassador Hotel and Istanbul.

Martita B.

It is very easy to get a taxi at Ataturk airport. After you pay for your visa and go through passport control you will get your luggage. If you want a luggage cart you will need some turkish lira coins....I believe it was 3 try = $2.10. Just leave the terminal and taxis will be lined up. If you are stopped by a gentleman in a suit who says he will provide transport, politely decline. There will probably be a "facilitator" at the curb to assist you and he will probably want to be tipped. The ride to Sultanahmet is about 20-30 minutes. Make sure you have specific directions and/or an address written for the taxi driver. Few speak English....and wear your seatbelts.

No problem getting a taxi or fitting your luggage. They are very efficient.

Probably easier to get out of the airport and in a taxi than at JFK.

We stayed at the Hotel Sari Konak in Sultanahmet. They offer pre-arranged airport transportation for 25e......40 euros is too high. The taxis are metered and it would be less if you paid in turkish lira....we got some in advance at American Express and the rest at ATM's. We were there for 6 days pre-cruise. FYI...The ride to the port from your hotel is only a few minutes and rather inexpensive via taxi.

Another suggestion......check the rating and reviews of your hotel at http://www.tripadvisor.com. There are areas of Sultanahmet that are a little seedy and I would rely on reviews of other travelers and their hotel ratings..

Be glad to answer any other questions.

Marty

Marty,

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

I found a hotel in Istanbul that I think I will go ahead and make a reservation. The hotel is, "The Alzer"~~~it's a small property (21 rooms) in an excellent location.

My flight is at 9 a.m. the next morning, so will probably use the hotel's transfer.

Have you heard of this hotel? Good reviews on Trip Advisor and other information sites.

Martita

The Ambassador is a very nice hotel -- great, helpful staff (which is typical of Turkey in general, btw).

As mentioned, taxis are easy to get. Language can be a problem. If you know a little German, try that (as many Turks have either worked in Germany or have family who do). It is always best to have the name and address of the property written down -- even better if there is a map attached -- and hand it the driver.

A Turkish taxi driver is likely to do the following:

1) drive way to fast

2) want to take you to his uncle's rug shop for coffee

3) weave in and out of traffic way too much

4) drive way too fast (worth repeating)

5) do all the above in a cheerful way,

Paul

What Paul said about the taxi drivers is certainly true.

Both the Alzer and Ambassador appear to be decent. The Ambassador is

located on the main street, Divanyolu. The tram runs on Divanyolu. I read the trip advisor reviews quickly and the Alzer might have the edge. As I said before, I really depend on the reviews on TA. We stayed at the Sari Konak which is always rated 1-3. Read the reviews of your hotel to be certain it has what you want.

Enjoy Turkey.

Marty

Thanks so much for all of the advice on taxis. I think we will book the hotel provided transportation; after a chat about the price.

We tried to get into the most recommended hotels, but they were out of rooms. The Ambassador looked OK and a good location; its for only one night...then off to the cruise ship. Sometimes you just need to book it!

Hi Cabanagirl! I just booked a hotel for 4 nights after my cruise in Sept. It had excellent reviews. The only complaint was room size(us ugly americans). The location is supposed to be fantastic and the price is great. I found it on venere.com. Let me know what you think and find! If I change my mind I can cancel w/o penalty 2 days before arrival.

Archived