Do your "friends" ask for souvenirs?

vijoge

A former co-worker that I have stayed friends with is currently on her first cruise. After giving her much advice and ideas, I said "Hey, will you bring me back a rum cake?" Since I am one of those people who always bring back things for co-workers, like rum cakes and hot sauce, I think I might be seeing a rumcake in my near future. Hopefully, it will get me thru till May. At which time I will return the favor.:D

Heck, we rarely even bring back a souvenir for ourselves :)

No, we don't bring back anything for anyone, unless we happen to run into something and it's cheap enough, like 10 key chains for $5 or something like that. The only time I purchased a souvenir T-shirt was sitting in an airport in Orlando, freezing from the air conditioning, it was 104 outside. I think my son slept in it a few times before we put it in the Goodwill bag.

When our BIL was still alive, they travelled worldwide and always picked up the cheesiest gift they could find for us. We did the same for them a few times and we all have some pretty tacky junk to show off. All in fun.

Our neighbors bring in the mail, take out the trash for us, but we reciprocate when they go away. Nothing expected on either end.

I clean out the bathroom in hotels of all soap and shampoo with the hotels name on it and give it to anyone that is rude enough to demand a souvenir.

My co workers have the same access to travel i do so they are not the problem.

And friends and family I like, are always welcome to travel with me at my rate.

Everytime we go on vacation, cruising or otherwise, our co-worker's always ask us to "bring me back something". For the life of me I can't understand why someone would want a souvenir from MY vacation or why they think I have either the time or the interest (not to mention expense) to shop for a gift for everyone in the office.

Not looking for advice-just wondering if this is happening to others.

No and usually we may send a postcard and that is it-although i have bought soem cute little dolls in cozumel for my friend's children.

I know myself, people give me souveniors that I don't care for-I sit it out on a shelf for a year or two-so if they comeover they see it displayed and then I donate it to a thrift store-so as far as I am concerned don't waste money on me!

The only thing worth buying is liquor and on some islands you can get real vanilla very inexpensive-those are the only things I would think of giving anyone.

We've never had anyone ever ask us to bring something back, other than our one son (who takes care of our dog and our mail, etc., and asked us to bring something back for someone other than himself).

But, other than said son, who does all that, we don't bring back for anyone, unless they are specifically helping us, somehow, with something at home that we can't do BECAUSE we are on vacation.

I should say "I" don't bring back for anyone. DH brings back for his secretary. and it has become a vicious cycle... he brings her something, she goes away, brings him something, etc., etc.

I could make a list and I'd end up not being able to go away (and having no fun while away shopping).

My friend is back from her cruise and did bring me a rum cake. No, she didn't think I was rude, but I will be picking her up some vanilla in Mexico in May. Kinda of a tit for tat. She didn't go to any location that had the cheap vanilla and I am.

My friend is back from her cruise and did bring me a rum cake. No, she didn't think I was rude, but I will be picking her up some vanilla in Mexico in May. Kinda of a tit for tat. She didn't go to any location that had the cheap vanilla and I am.

well that rum cake priobally cost $8 eventhough it is two bites and the vanilla you can get for around $5! as far as I can concerned a much better value!

I have one better, when i announced my cruise to my sister she got all excited and said that Swiss Stores in Ocho Rios sells discounted Rolex watches and asked me if I'd pick one up for her!!:D

i told her i sure would! with her money, of course!

Gifting is not allowed in my office. No one would darn ask for anything. In fact it is discouraged to talk/brag about vacations as so many people can't afford to take one.

I trade mail and newspaper duties with neighbors. We don't exchange travel gifts.

I, too, bring home hotel soaps and toiletries, but I tuck them in a folded washcloth along with hand and bath towels, all tied up with a pretty ribbon, and donate them to the local women's shelter. You have to call the shelter and either someone will pick up the donations or they'll meet you somewhere. The actual location of the shelter is guarded meticulously.

Yep, almost everyone I work with has asked me to bring them back something. On our first cruise, we did, on this last cruise we did, until DH went to work and put the bag (duffel bag full) of souveniers on the table to take someone a shirt ( just around the corner) and mark them off the list, and when DH returned to continue giving out the souveniers :eek: everyone had come in that had heard he was giving out souveniers and emptied the bag choosing what they wanted while he was gone. Even people that were not even on the list. :mad: So now when they say bring me back a souvenier, my reply...........$20.00. Their reply.........I don't have $20.00. My reply......... me either, I didn't spend the last 6 months

saving up for my vacation to think about work & spend all of my vacation money on the people I work with, I saved for my family

and our vacation. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind buying something

for someone if they come to mind when I see something, but to spend

all of our shopping time looking for something for everyone at work, well, after what just happened after this last trip, it will not be happening again. You try to be nice to people, and they do something like that, it ruins it for everyone. Burn me once, shame on you......burn me twice shame on me. There isn't gonna be a burn me twice on this one. Now, we will buy a souvenier for someone that was originally bought something this past trip,and didn't get it because everyone ravaged through the bag, but that's all we're gonna buy extra. Back to the original question, yes they have asked us, yes we have, and no we will not be doing it again.

I must say that when I cruise I have some co-workers who are Harley riders like myself and we all kind of have a standing order that when any of us are traveling and see a really unique or nice Harley shirt to pick one up for each other. You know us Harley people, we plan are trips around the Harley shops! LOL We also repay each other for any shirts purchased for us.

And you always have someone asking for you to bring them back some Cuban Cigars!

Fins Up! :cool:

No one has ever asked for a souvie. but we have brought back things for people. One time we were in Cozumel and we found some blankets for 3 for $10.00, we got one for each family in our family. If we have someone doing something for us, as in feeding the cats, we'll bring them back something. Now whenever we know someone who's traveling I always pipe up, "bring me back a keychain". Still haven't got one yet.:D

Archived