Visa for Turkey?

We are traveling on Celebrity Galaxy this June with a stop in Turkey. I've read that Turkey requires a Visa. However, I've read conflicting information regarding this. I've read that if we're just stopping through and not staying in Turkey, we don't need a Visa. I've also heard that the ship will have Visa for anyone needing one. I've also heard that if one takes the ship's tour/excursion, that the ship will supply one. All of these readings come from unverified sources. Any firm ideas?

RMan

I would also like to know as I am not sure as I have read some contradictory information. I will be visiting 2 ports in Turkey. The first being Canakkale for one day from 9-6. The other is Istanbul for 2 days from 8AM overnight to 4PM the following day. I understand that the cruise line tells us that visas are our responsibility. I look forward to any info on this subject.

Fran

This subject has been asked & answered several times; & very recently I might add. In plain & simple English, if you are arriving in these ports on a one-day port of call; you DO NOT NEED A VISA STAMP IN YOUR PASSPORT. A Visa is not required to go on shore excursions. If you were leaving the ship & spending the night on land (as in a pre- or post-cruise stay), then you would need to get a Visa. It's more expensive to send your passport to the Turkish Consulate or to use a Visa service prior to your trip. It is so easy to get one right at the airport upon arrival in Turkey or at the cruise port (if you are staying over after disembarkation). The cost is $20 US.

Becky is correct. If you are staying in Turkey pre or post you simply pay your $20 US currency ($60 Canadians) and get your visa stamp at the point of entry. It is not necessary to send your passport off to a Turkish Consulate but if you do they will merely tack on a $6 fee for mailing it back to you. Cruiselines usually charge much more.

It was really a simple procedure at the airport in Istanbul.....all they wanted was your $20! The separate visa line took about 5-10 minutes. Once you get your visa stamp you then move onto the passport control line to enter the country. That line was about 20 minutes. After that you go to the baggage pick up areas. They do have luggage carts available if you have some TRY coins with you. We had paper lira but there was a separate table set up to get change......Very efficient.

Marty

Unfortunately I have not seen the answer to my situation. I have just uncovered the answer on the Turkish Embassy website.

http://www.turkishembassy.com/II/K/visa_requ.htm

"Cruiseship passengers cruising in and out of Turkey and not exceeding 24 hours at each shore do not require a tourist visa."

As I will be at a shore for more than 24 hours, I will need to have the visa. I don't know if it can be gotten in Canakkale.

Fran

Your quote is correct but still don't think you require a visa since there is no overnight stay off the ship. I remember calling the consulate in New York and they were very helpful and provided exact information. Don't know if there is a contact in Canada so you might consider a phone call to either Washington or NY. I think you need clarification from the source.

Marty

We, USA passport, are getting off our ship in Istanbul and staying two extra days in a hotel. Can we buy a visa at the dock? I know everyone says you can buy one at the airport but I still have not heard of anyone buying one at the dock when leaving the ship. Has anyone done so. Cost?

If it matters we will be on Oceania.

martyap, Thanks for the suggestion. I will call the consulate in NY as I have dual USA/Canadian citizenship. I travel on a US passport. The rules are by country of passport not residence.

Fran

Pretty certain you can get your visa at the port if that is your point of entry.

Turkey is quiet proficient at getting your $$$. It was a most enjoyable visit. Just use the same common sense you would anywhere else. We took public buses, trams, ferries and walked all over. An excellent place to read up is the Istanbul forum page on http://www.tripadvisor.com. LemonLady (aka Carol from NYC) is an expert and will answer all your questions.The Turkish people are very friendly and very good at selling EVERYTHING!

If you like to walk.....follow the tram tracks in Sultanahmet (by the Blue Mosque, Underground Cistern and Aya Sophia) to the Golden Horn (by the Spice Market and Sultanahmet Mosque.) Continue walking across the Galata Bridge over the Golden Horn (check out the fishermen). On the other side of the Galata Bridge look for the entrance to the "tunnel" on the left. That's the one stop underground subway that takes you to the top and the main pedestrian street, Istiklal Cadessi. We took the tunnel up but walked on the return down.....VERY steep! Walk the length of Istiklal Cadessi with all it's shops, restaurants, bakeries, ice cream shops and Flower Passage.....have a borek, simit, koefte or doner kebap....enjoy. Istiklal Cad. will take you all the way to Taksim Square (the more modern Istanbul). If you like you can taxi back to Sultanahmet. We did this walk several times...great experience. We can't wait to return someday. If you can add days pre or post you will not regret it.

Marty

Franu,

I don't think it makes any difference if you are a Canadian citizen or a US citizen. Even if your cruise ship stayed in port 3 days; you are still using that vessel as your "hotel". You should not need to get a visa.

RetiredFL,

My experiences w/ acquiring Turkish visas have been for pre-cruise stays. But over on the TripAdvisor boards there have been posts stating that you can purchase your visa stamp somewhere in the pier area. No idea where that will be. But I'm sure that the staff onboard O can advise you where to find them.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all of your helpful advice.

When I was in Turkey more than a decade ago, the issue of a visa never came up. I spent 2 days in Istanbul and 1 in Kusadasi also on a cruise. I had always hoped to return and now my dream has come true. Again it will be 2 days in Istanbul but this time I will be visiting Canakkale to see the ruins of Troy.

This is what I love so much about these boards; everyone is so helpful. No wonder I love cruising.

Fran

Archived