Edit profile picture

I have been trying to figure out how to put a picture of me and my hubby on my profile and don't know how. I though you smart photo people would no how easy it is and help me out. I appreciate it but sorry I did'nt share pictures with you all, maybe after you guys tell me.:)

In your User Control Panel, go to Edit Avatar. There are instructions on uploading from your home computer or linking to a file already on the web.

There's a limit of 80x80 pixels, so you'll need to crop (image editor term for cutting out only part of an image) your picture square and resample it to 80x80 (resample or resize means to change the dimensions of the picture as measured in pixels - a 5MP image is roughly 2500 x 1900 pixels, so an Avatar image is pretty small). Don't worry if you image editor asks you about DPI or PPI. resolution isn't important for this and most cameras save images at the correct web resolution of 72 PPI anyway.

Hope this helps

Dave

In your User Control Panel, go to Edit Avatar. There are instructions on uploading from your home computer or linking to a file already on the web.

There's a limit of 80x80 pixels, so you'll need to crop (image editor term for cutting out only part of an image) your picture square and resample it to 80x80 (resample or resize means to change the dimensions of the picture as measured in pixels - a 5MP image is roughly 2500 x 1900 pixels, so an Avatar image is pretty small). Don't worry if you image editor asks you about DPI or PPI. resolution isn't important for this and most cameras save images at the correct web resolution of 72 PPI anyway.

Hope this helps

Dave

Thanks so much for your help! I got it all figured out. You saved me so much work just taking a couple minutes to explain. I was'nt sure if someone would answer on this part of the boards.:)

Cassandra

Thanks so much for your help! I got it all figured out. You saved me so much work just taking a couple minutes to explain. I was'nt sure if someone would answer on this part of the boards.:)

Cassandra

Well, it involved a digital picture, and I'd say you made a good educated guess that posters here might have a clue, or at least know where to rent one!:D :D

Glad it helped!

Dave

Hope you are still reading this thread because I had a similar question. I know how to crop a photo, but what if you don't want to crop anything out of that photo? How do you make the photo less pixels? I just bought a digital, so I am really, really new at this. I need to know how to resize. My camera is 6 mp so all my photos are HUGE!:eek: Thanks

Hope you are still reading this thread because I had a similar question. I know how to crop a photo, but what if you don't want to crop anything out of that photo? How do you make the photo less pixels? I just bought a digital, so I am really, really new at this. I need to know how to resize. My camera is 6 mp so all my photos are HUGE!:eek: Thanks

If you are new at digital photography and are just starting to collect your images, get Picasa from Google. (http://picasa.google.com/) It is a photo organizer, resizer, retoucher, etc. that is so cool and easy to use that it should cost money, but it's free. If you sign up for a free GMail account from Google, it will integrate with the web albums that come with GMail, allowing you to resize and upload files directly from Picasa albums to your web albums to share with family and friends (250 MB for the free account). I use it extensively to organize my photos and do quick corrections to color and red-eye am a big fan. I have always kept my images named and organized in folders, but using Picasa on top of that makes finding a particular picture almost too easy. When I first installed it, it only took me a bit over 6 hours to organize over 40,000 images into searchable albums and collections. That sounds like a lot of time, but believe me, I was thrilled at how fast an easy it was! ( My picasa Web Albums are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/pierce324 if you want to see how it looks)

For viewing right off your drive, go here: http://www.irfanview.com/ and get irfanView (plug-ins are separate, so don't forget to download and install them too). It is a image viewer that is very fast and will display almost any image file. It allows you to re-sample (resize) and save as a new file so you don't screw up the original (and a BUNCH of other functions you can learn about). It's free and very easy to learn.

For the bulk of my photo-sharing I use PBase at http://www.pbase.com/ which needs a little more familiarity with image files and the web to get the most out of, but after you master the fundamentals, it's a good place to put your photos to display them creatively (my Galleries are at http://www.pbase.com/pierce324 if you want to see what I mean). It's not free, but only costs $23/yr for 500MB of space and with resized photos, you could post over 5,000 images there easily.

Hope this helps

Dave

Archived