Anyone ever missed flight home?

vrg1vsm

I have really goofed. I booked return air from San Juan at 9:00 am. The ship debarks at 7:00 am. I now realize how stupid that was. Has anyone ever missed their flight home? How do the airlines (Delta) handle that? Will we be charged? Will travel insurance cover any additiona expenses incurred? Thanks (Destiny 10/7/07-San Juan)

I have really goofed. I booked return air from San Juan at 9:00 am. The ship debarks at 7:00 am. I now realize how stupid that was. Has anyone ever missed their flight home? How do the airlines (Delta) handle that? Will we be charged? Will travel insurance cover any additiona expenses incurred? Thanks (Destiny 10/7/07-San Juan)

If you miss your flight and it is your own fault (you booked the flight too early), most likely your ticket will be cancelled. Some tickets are fully refundable and fully changeable, but those are generally full fare coach, business and first class tickets.

You need to call the airline immediately. You have quite a while until your cruise, so most likely the ticket prices won't have changed in price toooo much. You most likley will have to pay a "change" fee to get a later flight home. And you may have to pay a difference in airfare. On cruise days, the flights after noon and before 4PM are highly desirable for cruise passengers and are usually more expensive.

You may even want to look at spending the night and taking the same flight the following day. Sometimes the airlines will waive the change fee if you are merely changing the date by a day or two. Be prepared when you call Delta with alternatives. And ask nicely what will cost you the least and make it EASIEST on DELTA. Travel insurance will cover none of the expenses-your mistake. Sorry. Good luck!!!

On the flip side, you can always say that you got delayed in getting to the airport (e.g. trouble at check out at the hotel, flat tire, etc.) and then ask to go stand-by on a flight later in the day. Just be sure to remove any cruise line related things from the exterior of your luggage and person so they can't tell that you just came from the ship. Granted, by going stand-by you don't know for certain when you'd be getting on a flight.

Just a suggestion.

On the flip side, you can always say that you got delayed in getting to the airport (e.g. trouble at check out at the hotel, flat tire, etc.) and then ask to go stand-by on a flight later in the day. Just be sure to remove any cruise line related things from the exterior of your luggage and person so they can't tell that you just came from the ship. Granted, by going stand-by you don't know for certain when you'd be getting on a flight.

Just a suggestion.

If it is a non refundable ticket and the OP does not show up for the original flight, the ticket canl be canceled UNLESS they notify the airline PRIOR to the originating flight departing. Rule 135, Paragraph B, Failure to Occupy Space, Delta Contract of Carriage.

The "flat tire" rule is not very effective anymore. With the advent of cell phones, the airlines are not looking favorably on "flat tire" excuses. They will tell you "you could have called".

OP,

Please call Delta and ask what they can do for you.

I agree with GreatAm - call Delta and ask nicely how to change your ticket as inexpensively as possible. I think it's a better idea to pony up now - if you gamble and do miss your flight, there's no telling when you'll be able to fly out - the airlines are practically selling space in the luggage racks these days! And who needs the stress of bolting off the ship to the airport after a nice relaxing cruise?

Just for grins I priced SJU-LAX (since I don't know where you live) for a R/T ticket, and the price is the same for 9:00 or 1:35 pm. The only questions are (1) the change penalty and (2) whether the cost has increased since you booked.

Good luck!

Archived