Mystic Man or Herod?

excitedtocruise

We went with Mystic Man a few weeks ago and had the perfect day. I highly recommend seeing the island via boat. One concern I would have, does anyone gets sea sick. No one in our party had any trouble but the boat was not big and the water was a little choppy. It felt kind of like a day at the lake with heavy speed boat traffic. The captain was very good at giving us as smooth of a ride that he could. This was just on the way down to Soufriere. On the way back, they put us on a boat with 450 hp and we flew back to the port.

We had the perfect day with Mystic Man and they will customize a tour to your needs. I have heard that the roads in St. Lucia are very winding. Nothing worse than being carsick. Caroline at Mystic will help you out.

I would go for Herod since you haven't seen the sights ON the island yet. The drive-in volcano, waterfall, plantations, plus time on the beach between the Pitons would seem to give you a great all-around tour of the island.

We are a group of 4 ladies without our husbands,,,we cruise once a year together...we are doing land and sea with Herods and he is wonderful...we have room for a few more on our tour if you are interested...we are on NCL Pearl and will be in st lucia on March 21....let me know if you are interested...deb

We booked with Herod and had a fantastic day. He was timely with his correspondence and we had no problem finding him once we were off of the ship. We walked staight into the main lobby of the shopping complex and he was there holding his sign.

We were in St. Lucia on a Sunday and saw several Catholic churches and because they were open doored were able to slow down and hear the music. We went through several fishing villages, saw the government house, marigot bay, banana plantation, stopped to see the drive through volcanoe, botanical gardens and swam and walked under the toraille waterfall (you have to get into the water and it's very cold), but you must try it. At the end of the tour we spent an hour snorkeling at the Jalousie Hotel between the Pitons.

There were 4 of us (We are in our 30-40's and the other couple I would guess 40-50's) in a very new van and throughout the day we were given the opportunity for plenty of photographs and stops. We were provided drinks and Herod paid for all admission fees and for our food tasting stops which included a chance to taste some excellent Johnny cake and fish cakes. Price pp was $45.00. Herod was very friendly and well educated and his love for his home country was evident with his tour.

A couple of hints: The roads are very windy and steep and I never ever get car sick, sea sick, etc, but during the last 30 minutes of the tour I was ready to hurl. I sat right behind Herod and could only see out the sides of the van and saw nothing but moving scenery when we were driving. So if you are even prone to this, take some Bonine or a bag, or try to look out the front window. As soon as we stopped and I was on "land" again it went away, but for a while there it was touch and go;) .

Go the restroom when you can and when it's free or carry a $1.00. Seem like strange advice?... Not when you've been drinking Piton beer or water and at the last lookout stop the people will charged a $1 if you need to use the restroom. Lucky for a pocket full of tip money. Now I know why we saw many men along the roadside admiring/watering the flora and fauna.

When you're at the volcano area and if you decide to take the walking tour, wear sturdy, nonslip shoes. The steps, when we were there were moist from rain and are cut out of the stone and uneven and if you have any unsteadiness when walking on uneven ground you might want to pass on this part. The view is great, but some people with unsure footing might have difficulty. Also there is a very strong but not continuous sulfur odor in some areas (there is bubbling magma) and we saw people with paper masks on. I don't know if they brought them or purchased them there and if they helped with the smell at all. I just know I'm glad I got car sick after we had stopped there or this may have put me over the edge.

All in all a great day. We enjoyed meeting Herod.

We totally agree with "want2gomore" about a tour with Herod! We toured with Herod on 3/14/07 and had a wonderful day on a beautiful island. There were four of us and several others form the Sun Princess that booked also. Enjoyed the local food/snacks especially Big Mamas Fish cakes and Johnny Cakes. He pays all your fees and purchases snacks,and provides drinks throughout the day. Herod is a super nice guy and very informative about anything to do with St. Lucia. I was always afraid to eat local food before as I didn't want to get sick and ruin a cruise, but we had no problem and enjoyed it. Again, I second want2gomore's response and will recommend Herod to any and everyone!

• 4 months later...

Sheffie---Are your pictures from St. Lucia of a tour you took with Herod or did you tour with someone else?

Allie

I would go for Herod since you haven't seen the sights ON the island yet. The drive-in volcano, waterfall, plantations, plus time on the beach between the Pitons would seem to give you a great all-around tour of the island.

Archived