Cruising out of NY in winter

fantavet

Being from the Northeast when I plan a vacation the last thing I want is to start my 1st day in frigid temps. Flying from Boston to Miami is one thing to catch a cruise but I don't know if I could board a cruise ship with a winter coat on :eek:

Is there anyone else that thought this way...then sailed out of N.Y. in February and glad they did? I can't fight this feeling that I would be miserable for two days while waiting for the boat to get to a warmer climate.

And are there people that can confirm my feelings. They tried sailing out of N.Y. and overall you felt you rather spend the extra money to fly to Miami the next time?

I want to do Boston to Bermuda in July this year for that very reason...best chance of warm weather. I'd rather pay more for that then jump on the boat in April when it still could be 40 to 50 degrees.

Maybe I'm not getting what you're saying here, but you don't want to fly to Florida for a cruise because you don't want to carry a winter coat? That's one unusual reason for not wanting to fly to warm Florida.

Another thought is that cruising out of NY in winter can be very rough, so if you don't like bouncy cruises, cruising out of NY in winter can be a challenge. And yes, I can't see paying all that money to have only a few days of warm weather.

We cruised from NYC in Jan 06 and Jan 07 (NCL ships to the Caribbean- 10 or 12 days). We live in NJ, so either drive and park or have a friend drop us off. With our DD's college schedule (and holidays, etc), we find this more convenient than flying or driving to Miami the day before the cruise, etc. (I always worry about flying in winter- delays, etc)

On both cruises, the first sea day was cool- not cold, just cool. Yes, the pools and hot tubs are open- and being used (but not by me!). We did not, however, need winter coats! DD did sunbathe (trying to stay out of the wind). By the second sea day, it's hot. Coming back to NYC- just the reverse- the last sea day may be cool. I enjoy sea days, but if you don't, obviously NYC isn't best for you!

Yes, it's sometimes rough in the Atlantic in the winter- but with today's mega-ships and stabilizers, etc (and good drugs!), few people should be bothered by this. And you can get rough seas in the summer, too.

I don't think I would do a shorter cruise from NYC (to the Bahamas or Caribbean) (unless the price was really great) because your two sea days down and back are a much higher percentage of your cruise time. But to the southern Caribbean- for 12 days- the two days down is the same amount of time we would use to drive to Miami (and they're a whole lot more fun than driving I-95!).

The bottom line for us is always: the itinerary, the timing and the price.

And your Boston to Bermuda will be wonderful (we did NYC to Bermuda many years ago)- It's beautiful!

I suppose I should have mentioned that our December cruise from NY is for 11 nights with 2 full sea days at the front and back. I think this will be perfect.

After the first 2 full seas days, we'll definitely be ready to get off the ship and we'll be in full vacation mode by then. Then, after 6 consecutive port days, 2 full sea days to just coast and enjoy the ride home. ;)

I've gone to both Bermuda & the Caribbean from New york area .Bermuda from Bayonne NJ & the other Manhatten which was a 11 day cruise Bermuda in Oct & NY in March of last year. Both were Ex. One was a small ship & the other large . .Both by the second day were in warm waters As the head out into mid atlantic & catch the warm Gulf stream.As we travelled by car we had no luggage problrms .We left our winter clothes in the car & took more than we usually would by plane. The thrill of going down the East river & the Hudson seeing all the sites from the balcony of NY while having a drink is far better than flying

Archived