Renting Women's Cruiseline Formalwear

We always talk about Tux rentals and it does save us some room in the suitcase but has anyone ever rented the women's line offered by the cruise ship. I have looked at in the brochures and the prices aren't bad but what are the clothes really like and were they readily available?? Since we usually go Princess this is there line..

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/

Cunard has their own line of stuff available in their gifts shops onboard. It looks about the same as that for the Princess link you posted. Not bad quality, but very limited selection. May be exactly the same stuff from the same company.

If you forgot your formal wear or lost your luggage, it would be OK. But for a normal cruise, what was offered was a couple of different black skirts-one straight, one A-line, and a couple of glittery tops. Those items don't take up much room in a suitcase. Not like a men's suit.

I was just curious and asked the lady in the gift shop on QE2 about the rentals. She states the World Cruiser women rent sometimes-gain weight, loose weight. But the men's apparel is completely rented out most every cruise.

I think renting women's formals can be really helpful to the first time cruiser who's nervous about spending money on something they think they won't wear again, or if you're going on a last minute cruise and have absolutely nothing to wear. Some seasons it's easier to find formals than others...like the holidays and it can be stressful when you can't find something to buy. You end up buying something you're not comfortable with and then hate the thought of putting it on.

That being said, I've never tried the rentals. My first cruise I borrowed stuff and wasn't all that comfy in it. I then fell in love with cruising and always have my eyes open for new stuff!

I looked at the offerings on the web site, and can say that there is no way I would rent those clothes unless I had lost all of my luggage and no ladies my size were willing to loan me something! Honestly, I didn't think that they looked like they would they flatter most figures.

When I had less money spend money on dress clothing, I shopped at consignment stores, and got some truly beautiful dresses for under $20. Add maybe another $10 for cleaning and I had an outfit that fit me and was flattering. In my mind, there is little difference between renting a dress, or buying one at a consignment store.

Just another opinion!!! :)

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

My cruise formal wear for the past 5 years has been that stretch velvet. I have the same stretch top they show along with slacks & a jacket. Basic! Basic! Basic! The whole outfit cost me less than they wanted to rent 1 piece. I think I spent a whole $5 for the set at a thrift shop.

I always just considered it a background for my jewelry.

Water•Baby, I don't get anything I can't clean by myself. I used to take all my thrifted things to a consignment shop after I got tired of them. I usually got back what I paid for them and sometimes got even more. I don't have the time to do that anymore.

Archived