Baie Rouge

cheffip

As a change from Orient Beach we were thinking of going to Baie Rouge as our cruise stop in St. Martin next month. Has anyone been there recently?

Obviously it will be easy enough to get there by cab, but are there normally cabs waiting there that we can take for the return trip to town? We don't want to get stranded.

No, there will not be cabs hanging around for your return trip unless you are able to make arrangements with the driver that takes you there.

The boys that 'guard' the parking lot and/or the folks at the beach bars can probably call for a taxi (most have 'arrangements' with the drivers) but you may well have to wait much longer than you would like for a taxi to arrive, so plan accordingly.

Baie Rouge is a great beach!

gary

Baie Rouge was one of the best beach experiences I had in my life. Calm water, not alot of people selling things, (I did buy a silk wrap), quiet.... the only issue I had with this beach was that I had to leave my car up top and there were people patrolling the lot...not sure what they wanted but I heard there were alot of break ins there so I went to check on the towels I left there drying quite often. Overall very very quiet.

Getting there is not too tough. Make sure you reach an agreement BEFORE the taxi driver takes you there. Still no real guarantee the taxi will return. I think most folks that go to Bae Rouge rent a jeep for the day. The guys in the parking lot can be helpful. Remember, they are looking for any opportunity to make some money, even a couple of bucks.

Although it can be difficult to arrange the transportation, it is a BEAUTIFUL beach (see my avatar).

You may want to try arranging this trip as part of a tour through one of the local tour guides, like Joyce Prince. May allow you to spend some time at Bae Rouge, as well as see some of the other sites on this lovely island.

We were there last month and as previous posters have said, it is beautiful. We had a hard time getting a taxi there ($25 ow) and he wouldn't come back for us. One of the 'boys' that hang in the parking lot drove us back to the ship- nice guy ($ 30). We are returning again in early April and decided to pay the little extra and book with Beau of No Rush Tours. For $120 for the day, we're going to hit several beaches and still get back to the ship on time :D

Archived