Stuart cove, any recent snorkelers?

nimbex1970

This excursion is highly rated off this site. So the 4 of us girls booked it based on reviews, price and sites. Can anyone give any recent feedback... from fall until now?

thanks in advance.

carol

This excursion is highly rated off this site. So the 4 of us girls booked it based on reviews, price and sites. Can anyone give any recent feedback... from fall until now?

thanks in advance.

carol

Well I was there last May. It was the highlight of our trip. My DH and kids are going again in a couple weeks when we are there. When are you going? I could update again when we get back since its been almost a year. Everything went really smooth for us. The bus picks you up in front of the cruise ships on the main street. Once there you can buy sandwiches, drinks and chips to take with you on the boat. They have a cooler you can put it in. My kids were ravenous between stops. They take you to two different spots to snorkel. I suggest buying the fish food they sell at the dock before you get on the boat. We were the envy of the boat. The fish came out of the wood work to eat that food, it was soooo cool. On the last stop you have an option to snorkel above where another tour was doing shark feeding. My 26 yr old BIL wouldnt get in the water but my 6 yr old was the first one in. It was awesome, and not nearly as scarey as it sounds. We got some great pics (dont forget your under water camera), and the kids talk about that excursion to this day! I would recommend it to anyone.

I don't know how often Top Ten Bahamas is on the Travel Channel but it was just on today and Stuart Cove's is on it as one of the Top Ten.

We did this excursion in Oct-05 and it was fantastic.

staylor - I don't think this is available through cruiseships. We booked it on our own. I think the dive excursions are available through the ships if you happen to be a diver.

We were in Nassau on the Carnival Valor (in at 7 AM, gone by 2 PM). We LOVED Stuart Cove. They picked us up on time (8:15 AM), and had us back to the ship in plenty of time. They did recommend several times that we not book with them, as we were cutting it too close to making it back to the Valor in time. Once we arrived at their business front, we simply told them what time we needed to be at the ship, and they made it happen. We also had the option of getting a cab, but after seeing the bus ride from the boat to their location, we were confident we would make it back in time.

We went on a pretty wavy day, but the 1st 2 spots they took us snorkeling to, were great. Very well protected, saw a ton of fish. Our boat had the 10 of us in our group, and another 6 people. We didnt feel like there were too many of us to take care of. The shark stop was the HIGHLIGHT of our cruise. We swam with probably 30 reef sharks, after we were in the water with them for 10 minutes, they got us out of the water, as the sharks started warming right up to us, and swimming VERY close. The shark stop was pretty wavy, but we didnt have time to notice. It was a AWESOME excursion, and would highly recommend. Plus, for only $48, it is a steal.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I was considering this excursion. I know you can skip the actual boat excursion and snorkel right off the beach in "deadmans reef." I emailed the company and asked about just using the beach and bringing our own equipment to snorkel. I believe they told me that there was a $3pp fee to use the beach and any taxi that drops you off will come back to pick you up at a designated time (I think most of them won't accept payment until your safetly deposited back at the ship).

I snorkeled with sharks at typhoon lagoon but I'm sure this must be an entirely different experience. I already have reservations for a half day snorkel trip at our stop in grand cayman (w/stingray city). I wonder if it would be too much to try a snorkel excursion in freeport as well???? Was just planning to shop, check out the port lucaya beach, and eat a nice bahamian lunch...now I'm starting to second guess myself!

Stuart Cove's is nothing like Typhoon Lagoon (I've done both). With Stuart's you're literally out in the ocean surrounded by sharks (not really surrounded, they swim underneath you but slowly begin to rise to the surface and that's when it's time to think about getting out;) ). It's an incredibly exhilerating experience which is hard to describe with words. DH chickened out and stayed on the boat but DD12 and I didn't think twice about getting in the water.

This was the highlight of our cruise over Christmas. They are super friendly, the price is reasonable and you will not believe all that's down there... in addition to the thrill of diving with sharks.

Night and day difference between going out into the ocean and diving at a site and walking from the beach and swimming out to one. You will really enjoy it.

I just booked this tour today for our 3/31 Elation cruise. I printed the confirmation but it did not specify the time we were to meet the bus outside the cruise terminal. Do they send that information as it gets closer to your trip? Not sure if I'm going to get into the water with the sharks but I'm sure my husband and two boys will!!

Want to save money for fish food???? Pack a couple of dog biscuits in your luggage. When you go out on your excursion take them with you and just before going overboard crush them. It's unbelievable how many fish we had swimming around us!

The guides on the boats actually throw dog food pellets overboard too to lure the fish. It works!!!!

I am booked with my fiancee and his 10 yr old daughter on the 3/26 Elation sailing, which will be in Nassau on 3/30 . I would really like to do the Stuart Cove trip because I've read so many good things about it, and I know she would think it was so cool, but I'm worried about the time. We are in port from 7 AM to 3 PM. I called Carnival and asked if we would be able to get off the boat by 8 and the rep said they give priority for guests who have booked excursions through them so she could not guarantee we would make it off in time.

SO, anyone who can provide some help with this, do you think we will have enough time to get to the bus stop in time, and will they have us back to the boat before it leaves???

I know that the tour operators do the best they can, but I don't know if I should bother with this or not if there is going to be a big IF around everything. Any help is appreciated!

I am booked with my fiancee and his 10 yr old daughter on the 3/26 Elation sailing, which will be in Nassau on 3/30 . I would really like to do the Stuart Cove trip because I've read so many good things about it, and I know she would think it was so cool, but I'm worried about the time. We are in port from 7 AM to 3 PM. I called Carnival and asked if we would be able to get off the boat by 8 and the rep said they give priority for guests who have booked excursions through them so she could not guarantee we would make it off in time.

SO, anyone who can provide some help with this, do you think we will have enough time to get to the bus stop in time, and will they have us back to the boat before it leaves???

I know that the tour operators do the best they can, but I don't know if I should bother with this or not if there is going to be a big IF around everything. Any help is appreciated!

Board girl -

We're on the same cruise! :) That is a good question! I was about to book this excursion too, but now I'm worried that we might not be off in time. Their website says to email them the arrival and departure times for our cruise, so I'm about to do that. The schedule says they'll have us back at the dock at 1:00. Here's the link: http://www.snorkelbahamas.com/cruise.htm

Hope this helps a little!

Board girl -

We're on the same cruise! :) That is a good question! I was about to book this excursion too, but now I'm worried that we might not be off in time. Their website says to email them the arrival and departure times for our cruise, so I'm about to do that. The schedule says they'll have us back at the dock at 1:00. Here's the link: http://www.snorkelbahamas.com/cruise.htm

Hope this helps a little!

Thanks for the link. I did e-mail yesterday and received a prompt response. They said we should have no trouble making it to the bus stop on time in the morning and they should have us back to port at around 1:30. So I think I will book that excursion. The last time I went on a cruise (10 years ago!), I still remember how much fun it was to snorkel in Grand Cayman, and there weren't even that many fish around, so I'm sure this will be much better. I'll have to make sure to get us each an underwater camera to preserver the fun! :p

Maybe we'll see you there!

We just returned from our cruise and snorkeled with Stuart's Cove in Nassau. Please remember to take your bonine as the seas can be quite rough and there were quite a few sick on board. The water temps last week were 76 degrees, so a wet suit might be in order. It was a nice experience and we did see lots of fish, but it was not my favorite in the Carribbean. If we went to Nassau again, I think I would choose a different excursion.

Want to save money for fish food???? Pack a couple of dog biscuits in your luggage. When you go out on your excursion take them with you and just before going overboard crush them. It's unbelievable how many fish we had swimming around us!

The guides on the boats actually throw dog food pellets overboard too to lure the fish. It works!!!!

Our last guide in Cozumel used torn tortilla strips! The fish were crazy for them and literally swarmed us. I don't think they were just Mexican fish, either.:p

I'm definitely taking along a pack of corn tortillas next month.

Hello all - we will be in Nassau on April 13th. We have read so many great reviews about Stewarts Cove and would love to take this excursion. Our ship will be in port 1-7pm so I'm not sure if that time will work with any of the tour companys... looks like they may head out earlier. Has anyone been able to book anything this late?

Newistcruiseattic - you mentioned Deadman's Reef - could you give me more info on this.

Thank you! Jessie

Archived