Virgin Gorda: Anegada Island Retreat

jochenwb

Hi,

did anyone experience the Anegada Island Retreat with Regent on Virgin Gorda?

It's listed as shore excursion on our trip leaving March 30 with the Mariner.

Thanks!

Jochen

I just looked up the description of that excursion. My husband and I would sure love it! We've been to the BVI twice but not up to Anegada. It is a very flat and dry island, barely developed or populated. The snorkeling is suppossed to be fantastic and I've heard great things about the grilled lobsters that you would be eating on that excursion. Your flight up there would be on a "puddle jumper". If you do go follow the instructions in the description and take plenty of sunblock etc. For more information on the BVI and to get an idea of what Anegada is like go to traveltalkonline.com and choose the BVI section.

I just looked up the description of that excursion. My husband and I would sure love it! We've been to the BVI twice but not up to Anegada. It is a very flat and dry island, barely developed or populated. The snorkeling is suppossed to be fantastic and I've heard great things about the grilled lobsters that you would be eating on that excursion. Your flight up there would be on a "puddle jumper". If you do go follow the instructions in the description and take plenty of sunblock etc. For more information on the BVI and to get an idea of what Anegada is like go to traveltalkonline.com and choose the BVI section.

Thanks, Kathy!

I also had a look on several sites on the web about Anegada and loved it. So we already made a request on RSSC's website... :)

Jochen

We are not on this cruise, but can recommend a visit to Anegada. We first saw it many years ago, on a small ship owned by American Canadian Cruise lines.

Kathy Z has described it well.

We'd go back there in a heartbeat! It is quite a departure from one's typical "island."

In fact, reading/finding this thread makes me want to explore Regent's Caribbean itineraries more closely.

Thanks.

Pincus

I have been to Anegada by sailboat. It is unlike any of the other BVIs. It is more an atoll, totally flat with a barrier reef. Nice beach on the north side. If you decide to go by local charter boat rather than RSSC air, it is open ocean with a swell to get there.

We took the Anegada excursion two years ago from Virgin Gorda, while on the RSSC Diamond, which has since been sold. Anegada is a short (10 to 15 minute) scenic flight, but I was surprised that we took off and landed on dirt airstrips/runways. There were no problems with the flight, but sometimes it's helpful to know about things like the dirt runways in advance.

The beach was nice, complete with outdoor bar and the restaurant is also open air, with a roof if you want to get out of the sun. The lobster lunch was okay (lobsters were split and grilled.)

There's not a whole lot to do there other than snorkeling and swimming (or spending your time at the bar/sunning on the beach), but we were glad we went. There were only a few thatched umbrellas for shade on the beach, and no chairs (a few benches you could sit on.)

You'll have a chance to take some aerial photos of the ship and gorgeous water during the flight.

(My husband doesn't do very well on these small planes, but managed okay as it was a short enough flight. Bonine would help those who are prone to motion sickness.)

Archived