Insurance Claim

Ocean Spirit

On our last cruise on the Wind, we weren't able to make it to the island of Kauai - we had to rescue a fisherman. We had trip insurance through a independent travel company. We had booked 4 helicopter tours also independently. We notified the tour company as soon as we were told by the captain the change of plans but we didn't make the 24 hour cancellation policy of the tour company.

The charges to my credit card for the tour was made on the orginal date of when the tour was to take place not when I reserved the tours. When I contacted the insurance company they said that if we had paid for the tours PRIOR to our cruise we would be able to get our money back.

Just wondering if anyone has every experience this with itinerary changes.

The tour company deserves their $500 but sure wish we could be covered.

Perhaps going with the ships tours aren't such a bad deal afterall.

I am sorry to hear that-but Ifel that way-I like to go with the ship's tours for the reasons you mentioned-I do know that a while back a person claimed Princess left them In Cozumel and they were on a ship's sponsered tour-they said they saw the ship leaving as they got to port as the last tender boarded.

this thread was a couple of weeks after our Princess cruise (they had just returned from their cruise) and I know when we were on Princess-we docked in Cozumel and did not tender so it made me wonder if the person made it up-ofcourse Princess may have not been able to get that dock for that cruise and had to tneder that time-I just had a hard time believing the cruiseship left them-I know Carlos and Charlie's was across the street from the dock and I couldn't help but wonder if they took a slight detour after the tour before boarding ship.

Many won't cover this as the reason for the missed port was not a covered reason under the policy (weather, mechanical breakdown, etc). When you book independent shore excursions you want to be able to collect for an itinerary change for just about any reason.

For example, this is from Travelex:

"You are covered up to the Maximum Benefit Amount ($250 p/p) for unused non-refundable prepaid expenses if Your Travel Supplier makes a change in the Covered Trip itinerary after Your Scheduled Departure Date, which prevents You from participating in a separately booked event/activity not included in the cost of Your cruise/tour."

As long as you had something in writing from the cruise line showing the missed port of call and that the cause of the change popped up after you departed then you'd be covered.

Archived