Weather and Embarkation

Cricket63

August and September are pretty much the hottest months of the year. You will likely have showers, mostly on the windward (east) sides of the islands (think Hilo and Hana). The leeward (west) sides will almost certainly be much drier (as they usually are). What you really want is for the trade winds to keep steady because when they decide to take a "break," it can get stifling. We were on Oahu one September when the trades were down for several days and air temps got into the high 90s. I wanted to die whenever I wasn't in the water swimming. I love the tropical warmth, but that was too much. Luckily, the trades almost always keep things nice and fresh and not too muggy.

Embarkation will proably start at about 11:30, at least that seems to be the normal time. It will likely be pretty crowded at first and then taper off later in the afternoon. You can check in, board, and then get off the ship for a while to explore if you want to. Just make sure you're back onboard no later than 1 hour before the ship is scheduled to depart. (And if you miss the muster drill mid-afternoon--a stupid time to hold it, IMO--you will have to report to a makeup session the next day. DH and I had to do that, and they did take roll.

beachchick

Archived