***LIVE*** From the Carnival Freedom

blackegg

Make sure to pack a few days worth of clothes in a carry on - some people (I think like 80) did not get their suit cases for a full week on our cruise!!

I was glad we had carried everything on with us since we tried to pack as smart as we could to begin with!

Have a great time - it is a wonderful cruise!

I was wondering where the Freedom docks while it is in Venice? Did you get there at the posted time, 2pm? How long did it take to get to the heart of Venice (St. Mark's Sq.) after docking? What mode of transportation did you use to get into Venice? Thanks for any info you can give me.

Sharon

Hi,

We just got back from the cruise. We actually arrived early into Venice which was nice. Now option 3 depends on your physical condition. We walked to Piazza Roma and it did take us 15-20 minutes - it isn't beautiful but we found it fairly easy. From Piazza Roma we decided to walk into St. Mark's, this worked out very well. We enjoyed walking through the streets and over the canals. The streets are clearly marked with directions to St. Marks, Rialto Bridge, etc. However, we did have our map which we really didn't use that much. It took us about 45 minutes to an hour to get to St. Marks but that includes stopping to take pictures, looking at shops, walking through a Vivaldi exhibit that we happened to stumble upon. We definitely took our time. Walking through the streets of Venice was one of our highlights. We made our reservations at St. Marks without a worry. On the second day we took the vaporetto through the Grand Canal - we felt we had to do this at least once:)

Hope this helps.

By the way - the cruise was fantastic!

Kevin

Just curious - have any past cruisers noticed all the garbage piling up in Naples? Does it affect access to trains, museums, etc,. at all? We are going on August 5th and sun baked trash is NOT appealing!

Amy

Hi Amy,

I just got home at 1:00 a.m. after having spent two extra days in Rome after our cruise ended on July 12th. Yes, we did notice the trash, but our family of 8 hired a private driver in Naples to do the Amalfi Coast, Sorrento and Pompei so it didn't affect us. The merchants and shopkeepers did their best to keep the trash picked up and put into plastic hefty-like bags. By the way, the ship is beautiful and the cruise was fabulous.

LaVonna

Make sure to pack a few days worth of clothes in a carry on - some people (I think like 80) did not get their suit cases for a full week on our cruise!!

I was glad we had carried everything on with us since we tried to pack as smart as we could to begin with!

Have a great time - it is a wonderful cruise!

How terrible for those people! Do you know if they all had the same airlines and/or connections and if so what/where?

Glad you enjoyed the cruise. We're going 9/10 and can't wait!!!

How terrible for those people! Do you know if they all had the same airlines and/or connections and if so what/where?

Glad you enjoyed the cruise. We're going 9/10 and can't wait!!!

I was on the same cruise as bp traveler and returned home from the Carnival Freedom two weeks ago and I can tell you from first hand experience what happened to me. We had a total of 6 in my party and 4 of us left from New Orleans and 2 from Memphis and we were due to meet in Atlanta. Our Delta plane in New Orleans had radar problems and we were 4 hours late in leaving so we missed two flights out of Atlanta that day had had to stay overnight. Our Memphis party made their connecting flight and went on to Rome by themselves. The next day I flew out of Atlanta and the other 3 members of my party had to fly to New York to catch at plane from there to Rome. We all met up in Rome and one of my pieces of luggage did not make it. I reported it missing and found out it was still in Atlanta. Just as soon as I got on the Carnival Freedom I reported it missing to the Purser's Desk. To make a long story short, I received my lost luggage on the 8th day of the cruise when we got back from a day in Athens. I highly recommend that you now try to carry two complete changes of clothes in your carry on bag. If you follow John Heald's blog you will see on just about every cruise more then 80 people have reported missing luggage. Also, just to top this off, my checked luggage made it home two days after I got home.

Yep, still a problem for some as we have just left Izmir and they are still trying to track down many pieces of luggage. Even asking for donations of clothing from rest of passengers.

We flew in via London and then Rome so we gave the airlines 2 chances to loose some luggage but except fior an anxious time at Rome were we waited for quite a while the luggage is still with us.

Cruise so far is great, weather perfect, excursions great, food fantastic. Typing this a long way from the keyboard due to waistline growth.

David

This was posted today on John Heald's blog about the cruise that is going on right now. It looks like it is getting worst with each and every cruise.

_______

We also set a record this cruise …………….not a good one though………………we have 120 pieces of luggage lost by the airlines. We are doing our best to liaise with them and try and find it but as always that is not easy. It is strange that some (not all) guests blame Carnival for this but obviously we have no jurisdiction on what they do. However, I totally sympathies with the guests because as I have said many times on the blogs, there is nothing more disappointing and frustrating than losing your luggage at the start of your vacation. As always, I hope that the luggage all comes tomorrow in Rhodes.

This is a follow-up after the Carnival Freedom left Rhodes:

As you saw from today’s “In their own words” section there was a mention of the people who have lost their luggage. We had some bags arrive today in Rhodes but we still have many that our pursers are working with the airlines to find. It is not just on long haul flights that this can happen either. Today, our fly on entertainer Richard Gauntlet who is a comedy juggler arrived with no bags and because his bags were lost on the short flight from London to Greece it meant he had no props and therefore no show. So, that was me then rushing around reorganizing the show for tonight and trying to trace his bags so he can perform later in the cruise.

Has anyone taken the aerial tramway in Barcelona? I'd like more info about it -- how you get to it, where it goes, etc. I Googled it but am having trouble finding any information about where it is in relation to the cruise port.

Has anyone taken the aerial tramway in Barcelona? I'd like more info about it -- how you get to it, where it goes, etc. I Googled it but am having trouble finding any information about where it is in relation to the cruise port.

Hi hapifeet,

I have a little info on the tram. It goes from Barceloneto beach to Montjuic, which is the original sight of the 1929 Worlds Fair and the Summer Olympics a few years ago. There is a Miro Museum and another art museum and the Magic Water Fountains. It is not recommended for those with fear of heights but the views are wonderful. I saw Samantha Brown take it on her European Passport show. Also I found this but it is copyright from 2005 so maybe not up to date:

Swinging over the Port

Unless you suffer from vertigo, the most spectacular way to reach the Castell de Montjuïc and the other attractions on the sea-face of the mountain of Montjuïc is via a cable car that crosses the port. The Transbordador Aeri starts at Torre de Sant Sebastián at the very end of the Passeig de Joan de Borbó in Barceloneta (bus: 17, 64, or 39), stops at the World Trade Centre on the way, and finishes at the ascent to the peak of Montjuïc. The cable car runs every 15 minutes daily from 10:30am to 7pm. Cost is 6€ ($6.90) one-way, 7.20€ ($8.30) round-trip.

Also, form Rick Steves Spain 2007 he advises that it is closed for repair until at least May 2007. So perhaps it has not reopened. Maybe someone can advise that has been there recently.

Melissa

When we were in Barcelona in early May, I saw cable cars on the route that the previous cruiser mentioned. I wasn't close enough to see if there were passengers in the cars or not. The World Trade Center is where the shuttle busses drop off and pick up people from the cruise ships.

I was able to go on the brand new extension that is up in the park. It was open for a free "trial" the day we were in Barcelona. It makes one stop part way up the hill and the top station is by the fort. You can see the fort from where the ships are docked.

Marilynn

HI, all my CC friends from 6-6! Tania, Jayden's journal is fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing it with us. Please tell him how entertaining and informative I found it! I actually learned a few things from his first few entries in Rome!

Luvdasea- I took time off from cruisecritics after the trip. Sorry I missed your questions! Amalfi coast was fine with the kids because we split it up with stops in Sorrento and Positano. We also did it first and Pompeii last so that the kids were rested during that part. Unfortunately, my daughter got carsick towards the end of the day after having lunch and riding in the car afterwards. Luckily, we were out of the car when it happened!

HI, Nanette, Janet, Kathy, Jim and Jane, and all our other friends!

Renee

luvdasea;

Obssessive naw!! LOL Why do you think we are still here after our cruise??

CC is great ! Its gonna help you keep your sanity until you cruise and you are going to make great friends obsessed like you. JA Right friends ? Hi Renee, Jim and Jane, Tania, Kathie, etc etc, LOL Have fun!

We been there! LOL No , you are not crazy, only obsessed and I got news it doesnt go away after you cruise it becomes worse.No, I got no plans because I got no money:( If I could I would have already booked on the Splendor.

Enjoy everything!!! and if you need help please ask!! My trip was perfect!

Hi Luvdasea! Yes, yes - of course all of us June 6th Freedom cruisers are planning our next cruises! But, we are certainly not an obsessed group! :rolleyes: LOL

You will have a wonderful time on your cruise next year. But with all the postings of lost luggage - PLEASE do like we did. Arrive in Rome several days before the cruise and let your luggage catch up with you there! For our June 6th cruise we flew out of Denver on May 31st and landed in Rome early on June 1st. We were concerned about lost luggage and jet lag. We wanted to be fully awake for the embarkation AND the early morning arrival in Naples. Plus Rome is wonderful and you need several days to even scratch the surface. For us, the first 2 days in Rome were pretty rough - we were tired from the jet lag plus the stress of being in a strange city. Neither of us were able to sleep on our overnight flight. Several of our cc group arrived the morning of June 6th and I don't know how they did it.

This is such a port intensive cruise - nothing like cruising the Caribbean with lazy beach days. Looking back, if I had the time and money - I would have taken the identical cruise 2 years in a row. The first year I would have taken shore excursions every other port and stayed on the ship on the other days. The next year we could have returned and done the shore excursions for the ports we missed the year before. We absolutely loved our June 6th cruise this year, but we were totally exhausted by the end of the cruise. I was particularly disappointed that Florence was scheduled for the last day - I felt like the walking dead that day and couldn't even enjoy the beauty of that city. Even the day before in Cannes and Monaco, we were just plain tired and felt overloaded. I believe that Carnival should lengthen this particular cruise and add at least 2 more days at sea. I don't think skipping any of the port cities would be a good choice - we loved them all. It's just that we needed time to relax and recover from all the touring. I truly don't feel that we got enough time to spend on that beautiful ship. Understand, we weren't willing to skip the dining room dinners or nightly entertainment on-board and partying with our cc friends - so admittedly, that is probably the main reason we got so tired. Still...that's why we had so much fun! So my advice is to pace yourself and don't try to see and do everything. Those 10 hour shore excursions are killers!

Wishing I was going on the cruise again next year with you!

Jane

Thanks Renee, Glad you enjoyed the journal.

Luvdasea. as you can see us June 6th cruisers had so much fun together, meeting everyone from the CC boards was certainly one of the highlights of our trip. I wish would could plan another cruise, but we are so far away... Looks like a trip to New Zealand is on the cards for us next March, but a land tour in a motor-home, does not sound as exciting to me as the cruise, but I am looking at it as a new adventure to add to life's experience. Oh and my DH used to laugh at me all the time, he thought I was absolutely nuts and was a little concerned about me planning to meet up with people from online. I can tell you he is so glad we did, because he got on so well with so many people from our group and always tells me to say hi, when I'm emailing them.

I really hope one day a few of us can get together for another cruise.. wouldn't that be super cool:D.

Tania

I wish I had gone on the cruise with all you guys. Everyone seems like so much fun! We do have about 2 other people on our roll call for our sailing. I still have over 300 and something days to go!! Sane or insane....I don't know, but planning is half the fun!:)

Hi everyone: Has anyone from your trip used Rome-shuttle.com with the email address of info@rome-shuttle.com? They have not confirmed my car transfers and I have given them my credit card number. Does anyone know if they are reliable? I leave today for my trip. My sailing is July 24th.

-bonnie

uh oh !!!! wish I had been here a day or so sooner!!

This is the service we used. They were late at the airport (possibly due to military appreciation day traffic); were on time for the trip from hotel to ship; never showed on the trip from ship to hotel (said they misfiled us in July instead of June); and then never called us to confirm the hotel to airport trip as we requested in exchanged emails - and they never showed up. We had made alternate taxi reservations so were a-ok.

Would be interested in hearing if this was a fluke or if this company has a poor reputation. They also had prompt emails prior to the trip.

Janet

yep. count us in. the only thing that has pulled me away from this website is (she says sheepishly) Big Brother 8.

It was an amazing cruise with amazing people ~ from this site.

We do have plans in the works as well ~ see the red cruises in our signature.

Also just got the call yesterday that I will be chaperoning on a mission trip to Kake, Alaska next month ~ an awesome place. Have been there twice.

We also just postponed our land trip to China next summer and will take our 12yr old daughter with us instead on the July 13 Carnival Splendor. We will do China the next year. The relatives we were going to visit aren't going to be there except for a few days at the end and the Olympics are in Bejing, so it will be just too crazy.

We are also Daytona Beach (Ocean Walk) for spring break next year. Have to use up those timeshare credits we keep forgetting about.

sorry ~ a little OT (off topic) but just showing the OCD factor:D.

Back to this cruise ~ agree with everything Jim & Jane said about pre-cruise to Rome. We also encourage everyone to pack very light!! We all wore outfits over and over.

And we are happy to try to answer any questions!

Janet

Archived