Fantasy Only Questions ...

canner2u

I'm a social worker in real life : ) and am really interested in the effects of Katrina on the city, especially re: the increase in crime and long term effects on survivors. I have read about post-Katrina bus tours that donate the money to those who are still struggling since the hurricane. Do you know anything about these?

Of course, I also want to see all the great things the city has to offer - plan to walk around the French Quarter a LOT... also REALLY excited to go to the Jazz Festival that weekend. I'm sure the city will be full of interesting people.

We are staying at the Drury Inn - which I guess is an OK walk during the day to the French Quarter, but have been advised to take a cab at night - which is fine with us.

Any more must see or do that you can recommend?

Many of the tour companies offer the Katrina tour - I know Isabelle and Gray Line gave PART of the money to relief organizations at one time - don't know if they still do or not. If you have time I would recommend one of these tours to get a real sense of the devistation. I live in the area and have taken the tour a couple times and each time I'm glad I did. The first time was shocking because even living here I couldn't grasp the amount of devistation until I saw it myself. Since then each time I go I see the rebuilding that's going on, so it's more uplifting.

I LOVE New Orleans. JazzFest is great fun (if the weather is good). The Drury is considered to be in a safe area (and MOST of the areas in New Orleans ARE safe), but I would agree about taking cabs - or traveling in a group at night.

i do taxes for a living so i will be glad when the cruise gets here.

my husband and i dont normally eat at the same place more than once but

Napoleon House on Chartres is wonderful. Johnny's Poboy on St Louis is great for breakfast and lunch. And of course my fav of all favs is Laffite's on Bourbon. i little aways from the main part of Bourbon but well worth the walk. Oldest bar in the counrty lit by candle light. it is great.

Gumbo Shop on St Peters Street is my favorite place to eat in the city. If you want the best cocktail in the WORLD, go to Oz (it's a gay bar, but anyone is welcome) and ask for Allen. He is, hands down, the best bartender in the city. They have 2 for 1 drinks on Fridays from 6 to 10 PM and free "Dingo" - drag queen bingo - with joke prizes as well as bartab prizes. We go a few times a month and always have a blast.

If you want an upscale meal, try Redfish Grille - excellent food and ambience, not too stuffy, and we've never had a bad meal there.

Are you guys going out Friday night (April 18) before your cruise? My sister in law will be in town, I'm sure we'll take her to the Quarter Friday night. We always go to drag queen bingo at Oz on Fridays - we usually have so much fun we just stay there, but sometimes we wander Bourbon Street. She's never been to Oz, though, so it's a must when she comes down for this cruise.

Yea we sure are. we will go check into the hotel, which is further away than we are use to but it didn't cost me anything either. then we will make first stop Laffite's. i have never been to the drag queen bingo at Oz before. sounds interesting.

got my cabin number today....it is cabin M79 it has two twins that scan be put togetehr as a kin and two uppers. Anyone ever stay in this cabin is it nice??

not sure about your cabin i will be in V22.. the last time i was on a cruise and they said that the beds could go together they were not able to.. because of the upper bunks. it was just my husband and i. i thought it was funny he did not see as much humor in it as i did. so the whole time i get to sleep in a b ed by myself LOL

I like bar hopping on Bourbon St. and one of the best places is Cat's Meow. It's a karaoke bar and always a lot of fun. Other bars such as Razoo's usually have live bands playing and are also big fun. As far as eats, Maspero's has good sandwiches at good prices and is on Decatur St. right across from the Jax Brewery shopping center. A block away from that is another good place called Crescent City Brewhouse with good food and great beer made right there. We have one of the best aquariums in the country here and it's on the riverfront near the cruise ship terminal. Hope everyone has a great time down here and a fun cruise.

Question. The pictures I had seen of Fantasy were a bit dated...not that I really cared. Now I find some at the beginning of this thread that showing it actually looking pretty nice...not so neon-y...more sedate. I wonder if they are the right pictures?? Where are some recent pictures...I was just very pleasantly surprised when I saw them...and someone else stated that they didn't recognize the pictures either...

Also, "they" talk about the ship having been in dry dock around early 2007. Is this true? I heard dry dock was coming up in fall 2008. Will this be another renovation? And, how do you get this info on dry dock schedules? That is one thing I have never found. I have been on these boards for years, but my posts got wiped away when they revamped these boards a couple of years ago, and then I wasn't on for a while, hence my low number of posts. Anyway, someone willing to share the drydock info?

Thanks-

I was on Fantasy Jan & Oct of 2007. Ship was in very good condition both times. Going again in 6 weeks. Drydock is schedule for this fall with new Evolutions of Fun, waterpark upgrade.

Older, smaller ship but still a great staff & lots of fun.

Ebay is a wonderful place. I was able to get the $120 printer for $45 new in the box and it included a $25 carrying case. It was fun taking a picture of a crew member and then 10 minutes later giving them a photo. A lot of them have photos taken, but never get to see the results. I usually give the photo to them so they can send it home in their next letter.

Dave

Jetskier- you are just too thoughtful...and resourceful! Looking forward to meeting you in just 13 days!!!!!

Dave-

I have a Razor phone with Cingular/ATT. Their website says it works on this ship for calls and text and the rates weren't much at all. I have a 13 year old worry wart daughter that will be delighted if she can call/ text me. Do you happen to know if she will be able to in reality?

Will be going with a group on Fantasy 6/5/08, was wondering what the price of single soda vs soda card. Also, does anyone know if they serve Dr. Pepper (my 85 yr old dad's favorite)? It's his first cruise and he has been asking.

If I am understanding correctly, after May there will only be 2 dining times on Fantasy? We were given the 5:45 time as there was no rm at the 6:15, this should make everyone in my group happy if we can go at 6:00. :)

Thanks.

Kathy

Dave-

I have a Razor phone with Cingular/ATT. Their website says it works on this ship for calls and text and the rates weren't much at all. I have a 13 year old worry wart daughter that will be delighted if she can call/ text me. Do you happen to know if she will be able to in reality?

It's supposed to be $2.49 a minute.

Brenda- do you have this phone with this provider? My main question is will the phone work on this ship?

No I don't. Too early to think of the service Carnival has but bascially you will be using their signal & be charged $2.49 a minute to do so.

katbat, we are going in August and I was offered a choice of 4 dining times. I hope they still have them. Does anyone know anything about that?:confused:

Nope, it will be 2 dining times by then - 6 PM and 8 PM. Trust me, the two dining times will be FINE.

I got with Cingular and they told me they have an international plan for like $2.99 for the month that way you arent overcharged while in Mexico plus the ship charges $2.49 per minute. So my question is do I make my calls from my cell once I get to MX, do I use it in port or on the ship while in route? Which is cheaper? Or all the all the same price? If I only make my calls on the boat should I even get that international plan from Cingular?

Any advise please,

Danielle

Cruznsuzn, I was trying to remember the thread I read about dining times being changed. I remember Jetskier was the one I originally read the info. But sounds like it has been confirmed. Don't think the 15 min. should be a problem for most folks.

Archived