Fantasy Only Questions ...

canner2u

How many bottles of liquor did you buy? It sounds like they are being stricter on that now, maybe? Last time we had 6 bottles and they waved us through without paying anything. The savings on the things I'm buying really aren't great enough with the $2.85 per bottle duty to even worry about the hassle of bringing them home...

It used to be $2.77 per liter. We had thirteen bottles of which two were gifts. They then gave us credit for our 1 liter per person so I had to pay duty on 9 bottles.

On the Corralejo Reposado, it is $22 for a liter. In the US, it is $70 for 750ml.

On the Crown Royal, it is $17.95 for a liter. In the US, it is around $30 for 750ml.

On the Don Ramon Reposado Tequila, it is $13 for a 750ml. In the US, it is around $26 for a 750ml.

So with the ones I am purchasing, I am still coming out ahead even paying the duty.

Dave

I got off yesterday with 5 bottles and they waved me through. :)

Usually 4 or 5 they wave you through as that would back up the secondary search area. Remember you get a 1 liter credit per person, so you really only had 4 bottles that could be taxed.

Dave

On the Don Ramon Reposado Tequila, it is $13 for a 750ml. In the US, it is around $26 for a 750ml.

Dave

Thanks, Dave - we normally get 6 or so and don't have to pay, so I guess we'll just stick with 6 and see how it goes. Can you tell me where you purchased the tequila above?

Thanks, Dave - we normally get 6 or so and don't have to pay, so I guess we'll just stick with 6 and see how it goes. Can you tell me where you purchased the tequila above?

I go to COVI at 30th Ave and 2nd St. It is where the locals buy their liquor. The Correlejo on the main drag is $31-35 for the liter bottle. The Don Ramon is about $16 on the main drag.

Now if you want Pomegranite Tequila DO NOT buy it in the recommended Tequila shop pushed by the ship. It is $36 there. But is you go down a couple of stores to the right as you face the shop, it is only $24 for the same bottle. (I guess they have to pay for the bribe somehow)

Dave

It will take you 35-45 minutes to get to Merida depending on traffic. It would depend on what time your excursion ends. Remember you have to be back on the ship 30 minutes PRIOR to the sailaway time.

Dave

my exc is over at 11:30.. if we decide to go any place that we should go to

thanks for all of your info

aud:D

Can you guys tell me I would like to bring a case of water to keep in my cabin for late night thirsties, lol... Can I put a luggage tag on it and send it on its way?

Thanks,

Danielle

Yes you can. Just turn it in when you check your luggage.

Dave

Hi, I'm a first time cruiser and this is my first post. My girlfriend and I are cruising on fantasy out of nola in july. I had a couple of questions and figured I'd post in this thread since we're cruising on Fantasy.

1. We're college kids so there isn't much money. We plan on shopping/sightseeing in progresso and then going to the beach and snorkeling in cozumel. Is it easy to get to shopping/snorkeling spots on our own, or is it worth it to take one of the excursions to do so? (there is a $55.00 catamaran snorkeling deal that looked like it might be worth it)

2. I'm planning on trying to find some good tequila for cheap. Which port would be better for this?

3. I will probably check the bottle of tequila I buy so they can give it back to me the night before we leave. I was also thinking about stashing a half pint of something in my bag. I've read the threads about sneaking liquor and it seems like a common thing. What would they do if they decided to go through my bag and they found the half pint (after i checked the fifth of tequila of course)?

As for the cozumel excursion...we did cozumel-tours.com (don't forget the hyphen) and got a catamaran and 3 stop snorkeling tour for 40 bucks. AND, it just so happened, the 4 of us were the ONLY ones on this huge catamaran! It was incredible. The booking of the excursion was easy and they are very helpful and respond quickly to email and phone calls (and they speak english). Highly recommend this. It was a 3.5 hour excursion, so we had plenty of time to eat, shop, and visit Carlos and Charlies. :)

My girlfriend is afraid that if we don't do Carnival's excursions that the ship will leave us. She said she heard that the boat will wait if we are on a carnival sponsored excursion and it runs late. Does that argument hold water? I don't want to get left in Mexico!

Also, do I need to book the catamaran thing over the phone now, or is it something I do when I get to cozumel?

My girlfriend is afraid that if we don't do Carnival's excursions that the ship will leave us. She said she heard that the boat will wait if we are on a carnival sponsored excursion and it runs late. Does that argument hold water? I don't want to get left in Mexico!

Also, do I need to book the catamaran thing over the phone now, or is it something I do when I get to cozumel?

Your girlfriend is correct in that Carnival will wait for any ship sponsored excursion that is running late. However, since the times for this excursion aren't even close to you being left behind, I feel you are safe. Sure, ANYTHING could happen, but you will be much happier on this than a carnival excursion. The main disadvantage to the ship sponsored excursions, in my opinion, is the volume of people. Usually it is very crowded on ship sponsored excursions. We have done it both ways, and I much, much, much prefer our "own" excursion. Snorkeling with less than 15 people is much more enjoyable as opposed to snorkelling beside 75 people. As long as you have some time to "pad" with, you will be fine.

If you decide to do it, you can do it online or call them. I did it online, but had to call them with some other things, and they were very easy to speak to and very kind. So, either way is fine.

I understand where your girlfriend is coming from, but in this case, you will be fine.

Hi, I'm a first time cruiser and this is my first post. My girlfriend and I are cruising on fantasy out of nola in july. I had a couple of questions and figured I'd post in this thread since we're cruising on Fantasy.

1. We're college kids so there isn't much money. We plan on shopping/sightseeing in progresso and then going to the beach and snorkeling in cozumel. Is it easy to get to shopping/snorkeling spots on our own, or is it worth it to take one of the excursions to do so? (there is a $55.00 catamaran snorkeling deal that looked like it might be worth it)

2. I'm planning on trying to find some good tequila for cheap. Which port would be better for this?

3. I will probably check the bottle of tequila I buy so they can give it back to me the night before we leave. I was also thinking about stashing a half pint of something in my bag. I've read the threads about sneaking liquor and it seems like a common thing. What would they do if they decided to go through my bag and they found the half pint (after i checked the fifth of tequila of course)?

I would go with the site that Bev mentioned. It is a good price. Most of the coral up close to shore was damaged by Hurricane Wilma. The boat will take you to deeper water where it was less damaged. If it is your first time, then you probably would not notice. You will have plenty of cushion with the time to be able to do the excursion and still go into town afterwards. Just remember you have to be back onboard 30 minutes prior to sailaway.

The cheapest liquor store in Cozumel is located at 30 Ave and 2nd St. It is called COVI. They are one of the main distributors for the island. I get a 1 liter bottle of Corralejo Reposado for $22. It is $70 in the US for a 750ml bottle. If you are looking for Petron Silver, your only place is onboard the ship. It is $34.95 for 750ml.

When they x-ray your bag, they will direct you to a table to turn it in. The person at the desk is usually a cabin steward or waiter. There is no followup from Security so dont worry. Turn in one bottle and take the rest to your cabin. I would turn in the small bottle and keep the liter bottle.

When on the ship, look for the drink specials to keep your bar tab down.

Dave

When they x-ray your bag, they will direct you to a table to turn it in. The person at the desk is usually a cabin steward or waiter. There is no followup from Security so dont worry. Turn in one bottle and take the rest to your cabin. I would turn in the small bottle and keep the liter bottle.

Gosh, Dave, how smart! I didn't realize that. Great tip!!

Was wondering if you took a cooler on your 04/10/08 trip? If so was it the 12x12x12 size or larger? I'm finding it hard to believe they are enforcing this "new" rule.

Dan

Hi Dan,

We didnt bring a cooler. If you wanted to bring one, I would look into one of the collapseable ones. Just make sure you bring a plastic garbage bag to line it as they tend to leak.

Dave

Hey guy...

How are things down in Lumberton?

I finally got my Sun Model so now I have all my ships on my mantle...

I am thinking of making a Fantasy trip in October after the refurb, and hope maybe the Fantasy will be back in Costa Maya by then. Any word on that?

I would love to see some options for Fantasy cruises beyond Coz and Progresso.

JB

Hey guy...

How are things down in Lumberton?

I finally got my Sun Model so now I have all my ships on my mantle...

I am thinking of making a Fantasy trip in October after the refurb, and hope maybe the Fantasy will be back in Costa Maya by then. Any word on that?

I would love to see some options for Fantasy cruises beyond Coz and Progresso.

JB

Things are going good. Business is picking up, 8 units in two days to repair.

I finally got my Sun model in February to complete my collection. You can always join us Nov 1st on the Fantasy.

Still nothing as far as a schedule change yet. Hopefully it wont be too much longer. The Fantasy also has ship pins now. I was able to complete my lanyard with one for each sailing.

I would love to see the Fantasy do a rotating 5-day schedule like the Holiday.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

We're traveling on Carnival for the first time with our boys. Our oldest boys are mature 12 year olds (twins). What kinds of things might they enjoy on Fantasy? Has anyone ever had their children involved in the "Circle C" program? Thanks!

Elizabeth

We're traveling on Carnival for the first time with our boys. Our oldest boys are mature 12 year olds (twins). What kinds of things might they enjoy on Fantasy? Has anyone ever had their children involved in the "Circle C" program? Thanks!

Elizabeth

It depends on when you are travelling on the Fantasy. After the drydock in Sept, the ship will have a 300' waterslide, a new area for Camp Carnival, a new area for Circle "C".

There will be a sheet listing all the activities for the specific age groups at Camp Carnival. If they like video games, music, some dancing, scavenger hunts and other games, they will enjoy Camp Carnival.

Dave

Archived