Fantasy Only Questions ...

canner2u

I could be wrong, but aren't these suites, not regular balconys on the Ecstasy. I was under the impression they do not have regular balconys on this ship. So, thats why the prices seem so extra high to you. Look at the suite price and you will see it is the same price as the balcony price on this ship.

Yes, all balconys on this class of ship are the siutes. I actually prefer the location of the cat. 11. but for not much more we got the penthouse.

We are sailing the Fantasy on Aug 16 and again on Aug 20. We got a great deal on a military rate, so why not. My question concerns the menu and the shows. Do they repeat the same menu for the 4 day cruise as they had on the 5 day, and are the shows the same. I saw a 7 day menu posted somewhere in this thread, so do they go on a 7 day menu plan, or are the second, third and forth day menus the same on every cruise??

Has anyone else every done a multiple cruise on the same ship??> Carnival said, since we have the same cabin for both, we just leave everything there, but do you have to disembark and resign up for everything, or can you avoid that??

We are sailing the Fantasy on Aug 16 and again on Aug 20. We got a great deal on a military rate, so why not. My question concerns the menu and the shows. Do they repeat the same menu for the 4 day cruise as they had on the 5 day, and are the shows the same. I saw a 7 day menu posted somewhere in this thread, so do they go on a 7 day menu plan, or are the second, third and forth day menus the same on every cruise??

Has anyone else every done a multiple cruise on the same ship??> Carnival said, since we have the same cabin for both, we just leave everything there, but do you have to disembark and resign up for everything, or can you avoid that??

I can't say for sure, but I would imagine that at least one of the shows (dancers, comedians, etc) would be the same on a 4 day as on a 5 day cruise. As far menus go, the formal night menu would be the same (prime rib and lobster) and perhaps some of the other nights as well.

I would also venture to guess you would have to disembark the ship for several reasons, the least of which would be to get a new sail and sign card for the 5 day cruise. Also, wouldn't the feds want to verify that all passengers have disembarked before the ship is cleared to begin boarding new passengers?

I haven't done them back to back but I've done the 5 day and the 4 day in the same month. The menus are repeated as are the shows.

Yes...you will have to disembark and reboard. However, they will tell you at the Information desk where to meet and they will walk you off to go through Customs and back on again. Since you have an assigned cabin, you can leave everything there but the PEOPLE have to get off. You'll be the first ones back on board.

Note - if you like alcohol in your cabin - order some from the shops on the first cruise. It's delivered to your cabin the last night and you have it in your cabin for the second cruise. ;)

Has anyone heard the rumor of the Spirit going to NOLA?

It is no rumor if you are referring to the NCL Spirit and not the Carnival Spirit. I have been booked on her since Sep 2006 for the 15 day repositioning from New York to New Orleans. At the time I booked, it was $1100pp for a balcony. At one point the price had risen to over $5250pp for the same cabin. I believe it is currently around $3700pp.

Dave

Oh Dave-just another reason for your and your bride to book for NYE. That way we will be even.

I love the Holiday also-another nice drive from Memphis. I have been on the Holiday 3 times. So you do have me beat on that one. Conquest was 3 times and I am so looking forward to another ship coming to NOLA. I debated doing the NCL ship out of NOLA but I am a Carnival girl at heart.

We have done 4 NCL cruises and I always come back to Carnival.

It is firework season for me during that time so no cruising for us during that time frame. I will be on the NCL Spirit as it comes into New Orleans in November.

Dave

It is no rumor if you are referring to the NCL Spirit and not the Carnival Spirit. I have been booked on her since Sep 2006 for the 15 day repositioning from New York to New Orleans. At the time I booked, it was $1100pp for a balcony. At one point the price had risen to over $5250pp for the same cabin. I believe it is currently around $3700pp.

Dave

She's talking about the CARNIVAL Spirit, Dave. There's a long stretching rumor that the Spirit will be moving to NOLA in 2009 with (hopefully) a repo cruise through the canal. Right now, it's pure speculation though.

OMG! I have read, or at least scanned, thru all 28 pages of this thread!

I just booked a group of 12 on a 5N on the Fantasy for 9-20-08. And I have loads of questions! The whole family, and 8 of which are NEWBIES!

1. There are at least 1000 posts about suites...ok mabey not that many but none on 1A. I know..we're cheap..sounds silly...I just booked ALL 5 1a cabins on the upper deck. I can always change it later but I figured I'd better book it now before someone parked in one and we couldn't all be together (which is why we are on upper deck and not empress). The nice thing is we get our OWN hallway. How cool is that? Decided it was more feasable to book 5 rooms with 5 BATHROOMS than to book 3 gtys. (oh yeah, one couple will be in a cat 11 if you're doing the math and trying to figure out how we sqeezed 12 ppl into rooms that will only sleep 2ea). I'm not nuts about sleeping in a bunk with hubby in a seperate bed but will do it for a bathroom I only have to share with one person. Ok...finally to the questions: Does anyone have experiences with these rooms (motion, location, comfort, size, pics!)? Also, the carnival site shows a pic of a traditional bunk but I've seen internet pics of an upper bunk and a twin bed. Why does it matter? I'm thinking having the bottom bed perpendicular to upper bunk and not having the four posts of a traditional bunk would make for less clausterphobia. (i'm kind of using this as a selling point for BIL that is also not nuts about being in a seperate bed from GF).

2. Any reports of the authorities confiscating liquor still? I don't understand WHAT authority homeland security has over liquor. Are they still doing the serches on the 3rd floor!? What happens if you refuse? (I think I know). Are these random serches or are they based on something specific? I know there is no way they can xray 2000 pieces of luggage in 2-3 hours. Can they?:confused:

3. Since we have a group of 12, I'm sure they will split us up (perferably two booth tables back to back). Is it possible to find out seating arrangements in advance?

4. Because my MIL and FIL are booked in a cat 11 they get VIP status. Since we all booked together (aka bookings are tied) does that mean the other 10 can tromp thru VIP lane? Lol...think I know this answer too.

5. Anyone have capers for older kids? We will have a 14 yr old, almost 12 yr old, and 9 yr old when we go. The two oldest are girls and will stick like glue. What is the cut off? 9-11? This will probably cause some problems. I doubt they will spend much time there..tho I probably will never see my son (loves those video games!).

6. Past guest party. My immediate fam is past guest but can the rest of my group come? I "snuck" in with fellow CC member on the liberty in May. I don't remember anyone even taking tickets! The staff looked at me but no one said anything. Mabey this is a big CC moral no-no...don't want to start any controversy!:rolleyes:

7. What updates have they done on Fantasy? Was it dry docked? When were most of the renivations done? Tell me about the mini golf...is it fun or just two shots and your done? How does it compare to its sister ship, Inspiration (going on next month)?

8. Are there SAFE alternative parking options. Someone mentioned a place that was $12/day..whoopie..save $2...I'm cheap but not that cheap. Don't think its worth the hassle of transfering luggage to a tram. We will be driving down in two SUVs..no hotel stay tho (we're about 3 hrs away).

9. I read a review about a disappointing "sail away" party. The review stated the band was packing up during sail away instead of playing. Is this the norm for fantasy? I've yet to have a "thrilling" sail away party but drinks and music usually fit the bill...want my newbies to have a good time!

Ok..thats it for now but I know there are some I'm forgetting!

Carolinamamasita: Where did your DD get her hair braided and what did it cost? I'm sure both my DD and her cousin are going to insist. I seem to remember getting a quote of $40 for half a head in Nassau (where its a regulated industry I think) and said no..sounded like a ridiculous amount. They will probably only want 1/2 or a 1/4.

And GOOD LORD! how much did you spend on formal photos!? :eek: The two I bought on the last cruise almost put me in the poor house.

Does anyone know why the Upper/lower bunk rooms (1A) look SO MUCH SMALLER on riviera deck than on empress/upper deck?

I read in one place that the 1A are 160 square feet but according to carnival's site they are 187 square feet. I wonder if the rooms on R deck are 160 while the others are larger.

Or am I just reading alot into the deckplans?

Carolinamamasita: Where did your DD get her hair braided and what did it cost? I'm sure both my DD and her cousin are going to insist. I seem to remember getting a quote of $40 for half a head in Nassau (where its a regulated industry I think) and said no..sounded like a ridiculous amount. They will probably only want 1/2 or a 1/4.

And GOOD LORD! how much did you spend on formal photos!? :eek: The two I bought on the last cruise almost put me in the poor house.

That is too funny ...

My daughter had those done in Costa Maya after taking the shuttle bus into the town. They wanted $45 for it ... but I gave them $30 instead.

And as for the pictures ... that was our first real vacation ever... and also our first cruise.

I had prepaid all my drinks with bar credit coupons and also prepaid all the tips ...

so my only onboard expenses were the photos & souvenirs .

I really didnt think that I would be able to go on another cruise ...

But I just couldnt help booking another one after I got back...LOL

My next cruise though will be just me ...going for my birthday .

I am glad that you enjoyed my photos!!:)

OK- let's see how many of these I can answer (my opinions based on three cruises on the Fantasy):

1. I have been on Empress deck three times in a 1A. These cabins are ideal because you are in the middle of the ship and toward aft. They are in an ideal location relative to elevators, the formal dining room, and are located in quiet areas on the ship. They are the same size as 4A cabins and are very comfortable. While you could put the twin bed perpendicular to the upper bed, they normally have the twin at a right angle to the upper bed, primarily because of the location of the TV and keeps the ladder away from the lower bed. But they will fix the bed anyway you want.

2. Yes they do check the luggage pretty well and I think it is basically Carnival wants you to buy their stuff. I only bring soft drinks on board and I have not had a problem.

3. No. Your seating assignment will not be known until you board. You can give them a preference, and if you get the 4th seating and you want the first, you need to tell the Maitre D as soon as you board.

4. I kinda doubt it.

5. I don't have Capers, but there is the Camp Carnival for the nine year old and Club O2 for the older teens.

6. They do collect the invitations left in your cabin. I think the Past Guest Party should be limited for the most part to past guests and one immediate family member (if not a past guest).

7. The Fantasy was dry docked in 2005 to add the golf course and do some renovations to the Promenade area. The golf course is a nine hole course and is very nice.

8. I would stick with the cruise terminal parking. It is $14 per day and is very well run. When you park, the porter will take your luggage from the parking lot. You park above the cruise terminal and take an elevator down to the cruise terminal, then up escalators to go through security. This is much better than it used to be.

9. The sail away party is rather tame on the Fantasy. This is in part because the muster drill is just before the ship sails away. The real parties come later when there is a pub crawl through the Promenade deck with Mardi Gras parade.

OMG! I have read, or at least scanned, thru all 28 pages of this thread!

I just booked a group of 12 on a 5N on the Fantasy for 9-20-08. And I have loads of questions! The whole family, and 8 of which are NEWBIES!

1. There are at least 1000 posts about suites...ok mabey not that many but none on 1A. I know..we're cheap..sounds silly...I just booked ALL 5 1a cabins on the upper deck. I can always change it later but I figured I'd better book it now before someone parked in one and we couldn't all be together (which is why we are on upper deck and not empress). The nice thing is we get our OWN hallway. How cool is that? Decided it was more feasable to book 5 rooms with 5 BATHROOMS than to book 3 gtys. (oh yeah, one couple will be in a cat 11 if you're doing the math and trying to figure out how we sqeezed 12 ppl into rooms that will only sleep 2ea). I'm not nuts about sleeping in a bunk with hubby in a seperate bed but will do it for a bathroom I only have to share with one person. Ok...finally to the questions: Does anyone have experiences with these rooms (motion, location, comfort, size, pics!)? Also, the carnival site shows a pic of a traditional bunk but I've seen internet pics of an upper bunk and a twin bed. Why does it matter? I'm thinking having the bottom bed perpendicular to upper bunk and not having the four posts of a traditional bunk would make for less clausterphobia. (i'm kind of using this as a selling point for BIL that is also not nuts about being in a seperate bed from GF).

2. Any reports of the authorities confiscating liquor still? I don't understand WHAT authority homeland security has over liquor. Are they still doing the serches on the 3rd floor!? What happens if you refuse? (I think I know). Are these random serches or are they based on something specific? I know there is no way they can xray 2000 pieces of luggage in 2-3 hours. Can they?:confused:

3. Since we have a group of 12, I'm sure they will split us up (perferably two booth tables back to back). Is it possible to find out seating arrangements in advance?

4. Because my MIL and FIL are booked in a cat 11 they get VIP status. Since we all booked together (aka bookings are tied) does that mean the other 10 can tromp thru VIP lane? Lol...think I know this answer too.

5. Anyone have capers for older kids? We will have a 14 yr old, almost 12 yr old, and 9 yr old when we go. The two oldest are girls and will stick like glue. What is the cut off? 9-11? This will probably cause some problems. I doubt they will spend much time there..tho I probably will never see my son (loves those video games!).

6. Past guest party. My immediate fam is past guest but can the rest of my group come? I "snuck" in with fellow CC member on the liberty in May. I don't remember anyone even taking tickets! The staff looked at me but no one said anything. Mabey this is a big CC moral no-no...don't want to start any controversy!:rolleyes:

7. What updates have they done on Fantasy? Was it dry docked? When were most of the renivations done? Tell me about the mini golf...is it fun or just two shots and your done? How does it compare to its sister ship, Inspiration (going on next month)?

8. Are there SAFE alternative parking options. Someone mentioned a place that was $12/day..whoopie..save $2...I'm cheap but not that cheap. Don't think its worth the hassle of transfering luggage to a tram. We will be driving down in two SUVs..no hotel stay tho (we're about 3 hrs away).

9. I read a review about a disappointing "sail away" party. The review stated the band was packing up during sail away instead of playing. Is this the norm for fantasy? I've yet to have a "thrilling" sail away party but drinks and music usually fit the bill...want my newbies to have a good time!

Ok..thats it for now but I know there are some I'm forgetting!

1. I have been on Empress deck three times in a 1A. These cabins are ideal because you are in the middle of the ship and toward aft. They are in an ideal location relative to elevators, the formal dining room, and are located in quiet areas on the ship. They are the same size as 4A cabins and are very comfortable. While you could put the twin bed perpendicular to the upper bed, they normally have the twin at a right angle to the upper bed, primarily because of the location of the TV and keeps the ladder away from the lower bed. But they will fix the bed anyway you want. A right angle? As in perpendicular?:D So just say it! I picked the perfect location for a group cruise...all 10 of us together and minimal bathroom sharing. (I like to have my ego stroked..LoL). Do these rooms seem any smaller than the the other insides (i realize the layout is different but I mean square footage size. There seems to be a lot of inconsistency on the info sites. I'd like to hear from a real person thats been there!

2. Yes they do check the luggage pretty well and I think it is basically Carnival wants you to buy their stuff. I only bring soft drinks on board and I have not had a problem. Now are you talking about checking carry on, checked luggage, or both pretty well? I remember we got the shake down on our carry on with the Liberty but checked luggage arrived untouched. And none of this "public inspections on deck 3" I've heard of specifically with the Fantasy.

6. They do collect the invitations left in your cabin. I think the Past Guest Party should be limited for the most part to past guests and one immediate family member (if not a past guest). Hmm you're giving me ideas here. I could leave the kids at camp carnival, confiscate their passes and each one of us take one guest! Actually we'll ditch MIL and FIL, that's 7 guests and 4 passes. They're ALL immediate family (scary huh?). LoL, I KNOW that is not what you meant..I'm devious like that, don't hold yourself responsible.

9. The sail away party is rather tame on the Fantasy. This is in part because the muster drill is just before the ship sails away. The real parties come later when there is a pub crawl through the Promenade deck with Mardi Gras parade.Ohhhh.....tell me MORE about the Mardi Gras parade/pub crawl. I drool at the thought!

Thanks for getting back to me so fast! Love chatting with someone thats not only been on the same ship, but stayed in a 1a!

I have more questions I just have to think of them. LOL!

Thanks for getting back to me so fast! Love chatting with someone thats not only been on the same ship, but stayed in a 1a!

I have more questions I just have to think of them. LOL!

I was thinking you wanted the beds parallel for some reason (it has been a long week :eek: ) and I just missed what you were saying.

The 1A cabins have a different layout but are the same size square footage wise.

There was a Mardi Gras party on the second night of the cruise (formal night) which starts at Cleopatra's Bar and goes through the different lounges on the Promenade deck. There are drink specials at the different lounges and they have a Mardi Gras parade with the beads and the second line. The party begins later in the evening, around 10.

LoL David...Guess I get the job of keeping my group sober enough to participate. If its the same night as formal then I'm assuming this all takes place in the same area as the captains party (just later). And with all those free drinks, I know at least half a dozen that will "over-indulge" in an attempt to lower there bar bill. Lol...they must not know that the excess "fun" of drinking rarely carries over to the next morning. :rolleyes:

She's talking about the CARNIVAL Spirit, Dave. There's a long stretching rumor that the Spirit will be moving to NOLA in 2009 with (hopefully) a repo cruise through the canal. Right now, it's pure speculation though.

Well that ought to cause a little confusion having two ships in the same port with the same name. :D

When you get a chance, stop by our firework tent at Old Hwy 11 and Old Hwy 24 in Oak Grove across from the Exxon station. I have been bouncing between working on jetskis and selling fireworks all week. Michelle is there during the day while I am at the shop.

Dave

Hi everyone...I am thinking of booking a cruise on the Fantasy for New Years Eve 07/08...anyone else going? Has anyone every been on the Fantasy for NYE??

Also, how are the OV cabins?

My DH & I will be on the 2007 NYE cruise. Will be my 5th time on the Fantasy and she is a great ship.

While the OV is not as nice as having a balcony it is ok for a 5 day cruise. The cabin is a nice size. The Cat 11 & 12 do have balconies but are a little pricy for just 5 days. There are many places (inside and outside) to sit and relax and watch the world (ocean) go by.

My DH & I will be on the 2007 NYE cruise. Will be my 5th time on the Fantasy and she is a great ship.

While the OV is not as nice as having a balcony it is ok for a 5 day cruise. The cabin is a nice size. The Cat 11 & 12 do have balconies but are a little pricy for just 5 days. There are many places (inside and outside) to sit and relax and watch the world (ocean) go by.

Thanks for that info...we usually book a cat 11-12 so to save a bit of $$, we were going to try an OV this time.

Has anyone heard the rumor of the Spirit going to NOLA?

15-Day Southern Caribbean New York to New Orleans

Ship: Norwegian Spirit

Embarkation port: New York City

Disembarkation port: New Orleans

Embarkation: Nov 3, 2007

Disembarkation: Nov 18, 2007

Ports of call: New York City; St. Thomas; St. Lucia; Barbados; Aruba; Costa Maya; Santo Tomas De Castilla; Belize City; Cozumel; New Orleans

DayPortArriveDepartSat New York City -4:00 PMSun At Sea--Mon At Sea--Tue St. Thomas 11:00 AM5:00 PMWed St. Lucia 11:00 AM6:00 PMThu Barbados 8:00 AM6:00 PMFri At Sea--Sat Aruba 7:00 AM7:00 PMSun At Sea--Mon At Sea--Tue Costa Maya 8:00 AM6:00 PMWed Santo Tomas De Castilla 8:00 AM6:00 PMThu Belize City 8:00 AM6:00 PMFri Cozumel 8:00 AM5:00 PMSat At Sea--Sun New Orleans 8:00 AM-

For those folks who have recently been on the Fantasy. Tell me the one thing NOT to miss on the Fantasy.....either a show or maybe a game, a particular club or menu item....etc.........

Thanks

just wanted to let you know that i ran in sally beauty supply today to get something,,,,they had silver spray bottles....the med size your hair dresser would use...can't see thru it , can tighten down the spray nozzel so nothing leaks out....i bought one and it's what we are going to try and us....pack with bathroom stuff...you would think it's a water bottle for you hair...

FYI.... let me know what you come up with...

got back this past weekend...OH WHAT FUN..very nice ship

spray bottles worked great!

we did see a few people with their own beer cans from home, they said they put them in their check in luggage with no problem...

weather was great...

the suit upgrade was well worth the extra money!!! LOVED IT

beer prices were high, when you drink as much as dh and i do..it was $17.50 for bucket of four (plastic 16oz bottles)

the ship was very stable except coming and going up the mississippi river...we did feel some rocking!

happy to answer any questions....

in cozumel we did go to mr sanchos...great quiet place, good food, great beer, then we took taxi to jimmy buffet margaritaville...FUN!

thanks for all the info from all of you before our trip...

can't wait to go again..

Archived