What's the best seasickness med.??

shann

Bonine has worked everytime for me. I take one each morning while cruising or before flying and then forget about it. It worked two years ago during a tropical storm when we were out on a catamaran. 80% of staff and cruisers were sick that night, as we partied on. It worked last year on the rockiest plane ride ever from Chicago to London. Never any side effects.

Hey, we just got back from a 7 day cruise on the Destiny a couple of weeks ago. My girlfriends first two nights were not good, she tryed Gravol, the meds that the doctor gave her, nothing worked. Then one day someone gave her a set of wrist bands, I would say they saved the trip for her. She was finally able to do things at night and not miss dinner and go straight to bed after we left our ports. Just something else to try I guess, she now swears by them. We could buy them at one of the shops on the Destiny for $11 US. Hope this helps.

Those wrist bands are a great idea. I used them while I was pregnant with my 2nd child worked wonders!

On my last cruise (well the only one..so far) I got a little sicky...not as bad as many tho--some people were puking in the halls and stuff! Anyways..I used Ginger Root made by gravol. It seemed to work ok (but not fast acting) and didn't make me sleepy. Tastes like crap tho! One of my table mates were also sicky and tried to get stuff in the gift shop but they sold nothing!!!

(I gave her some of my ginger root--but didn't see her after so I don't know how well it worked for her).

Anyways I am from Canada--can you get that bonine stuff here? Or the wrist bands?? I have never seem them.

On my last cruise (well the only one..so far) I got a little sicky...not as bad as many tho--some people were puking in the halls and stuff! Anyways..I used Ginger Root made by gravol. It seemed to work ok (but not fast acting) and didn't make me sleepy. Tastes like crap tho! One of my table mates were also sicky and tried to get stuff in the gift shop but they sold nothing!!!

(I gave her some of my ginger root--but didn't see her after so I don't know how well it worked for her).

Anyways I am from Canada--can you get that bonine stuff here? Or the wrist bands?? I have never seem them.

Hi, I'm from Canada and I got my wristbands at the pharmacy located in my doctor's medical building. They come in diferent colours. I've never seen that other medication, but I hear you can get it at Walmart. A friend of mine is leaving on a cruise Sunday and said that's where she bought it. Just talk to the pharmacist.

I'm from Canada too. I got Bonamine at Shoppers Drug Mart, not too expensive they come in packs of 15 chewable tablets. I'm leaving this weekend for my cruise and am also bringing the wristbands as well.

personaly i think the best sea sickness med is not one u can get over the counter i went on a cruise one time and i got kinda sick and the matrade (sp) gave me saltines gingerale and told me to go out on a balcony and "become one with the sea" i thought it was a piece of crap to be honest but i was desprate so i tried it and it worked soo i thinks yall should tyry it the natural way before going with anything froma box

I'm from Canada too. I got Bonamine at Shoppers Drug Mart, not too expensive they come in packs of 15 chewable tablets. I'm leaving this weekend for my cruise and am also bringing the wristbands as well.

Thanks for the info! I'll hit SDM and stock up before we go. My son gets sea sick on just about any boat or ship so this will be great. I thought all we could get is Gravol but that stuff knocks the starch right out of me and he can't seem to tolerate it. Did you get the wristbands at Shoppers too?

Thanks again. Wouldn't by chance be going on the Miracle this weekend would you? That's the ship we're sailing on.

Kim

One of the things I recommend is to be topside when the ship gets underway. Stay out there until you are out in the open sea. This way you can feel and see the motion as well as feel the fresh air.

My first time out at sea. when in the Navy, I was down below and I could not see anything. Then I felt the motion and I got sicker than a dog.

I never got sick again after that. That was in 1966. I never went out to sea again until about 5 years ago. I follow the method I just told you about. I have been on the Texas Treasure out of Port Aransas and on two cruises and I do not get sick. Neither does my wife. Try that and see how it works.

Thanks for the info! I'll hit SDM and stock up before we go. My son gets sea sick on just about any boat or ship so this will be great. I thought all we could get is Gravol but that stuff knocks the starch right out of me and he can't seem to tolerate it. Did you get the wristbands at Shoppers too?

Thanks again. Wouldn't by chance be going on the Miracle this weekend would you? That's the ship we're sailing on.

Kim

Hi Kim,

Yes, I got the wristbands at Shoppers too. No, we're not on the Miracle this weekend, we're going on the Destiny. Seems like alot of Canadians sailing this weekend because of march break in Ontario.

a bucket of beers always seem to work. my suggestions is have it if you need it but don't go on your cruise worrying about sea sickness. if you do you will make yourself sea sick. you most likely won't have an issue.

Got caught in Hurricane Ivan on the Holiday....the beer buckets is the remedy I used. You could feel your stomach going up and down laying in bed at night but no problems....wife got a little green and she took the medicine from the pursers desk(she had no beer).....The capitan said the waves were 16' and I had a blast...it was an adventure from my perspective! Couldnt keep those cajuns off the back deck doing belly flops on the chair dolly they stole from the deck hands moving chairs to tie them up to the rails. We were definitely "one with the sea"...Seriously if you think it will bother you take something as I have read that alot of seasickness is caused by psychological reasons (although I hear when you get it that makes no difference).If this is true taking anything you think will work should help. Also if you book a lower room in the center of the ship you are going to feel the motion less. A balcony for fresh air is bound to help also. Im sure too many buckets of beer will make you think your sea sick too.....Also if this is your first cruise you will find out when you return that you get to stay on your cruise for a few days after you return!!!Especially when you wake up in middle of night to go to bathroom...that usually makes me sea sick lol...

Archived