Attire for Alaska cruise on Diamond

sandiego1

We are going on the Diamond in June. We've only cruised to Mexico and the Carib and are unsure how to dress for the non-formal nights for Alaska. For warm destinations, I usually wear capris or dress pants w/ a short sleeve blouse or spaghetti strap top and sandals. I always carry a cardigan or wrap in case I'm cold in the dining room or night clbu.

In Alaska, the weather will be a lot cooler. I'm not sure if the capris/short sleeve top/sandals will work. Any suggestions?

Also, do people usually get as dressed up for Alaskan cruises as they do in the Carib? We are touring on our own the 2nd wk and will do a lot of hiking. We'll have very casual clothes for the 2nd wk and I want to optimize my packing strategy.

Jeans, tees and sweatshirts are the norm in Alaska during the day. You should plan to dress in layers, as it can get warm during the day. I like cardigan sweaters and fleece jackets. Don't forget raingear! T shirts and sweatshirts are the main souveniers hawked at the ports. (Don't buy jewelry; it's overpriced.) When you return from shore, you'll want to shower and change for dinner. No jeans or shorts in the dining room, please! Enjoy beautiful Alaska!:D

The dress for the evening in the dining rooms are the same as any other area. No jeans, just a nice pair of slacks and a top. For formal wear it is the same thing as other areas of the world. If you choose not to go to the dining room and ratheer go to the buffet then jeans are fine.

Marilyn

The Alaskan cruise are a bit more casual than some of the other cruises. You will find you will wear jeans and t-shirts, sweatshirts during the day and even around the ship in the daytime. Most people still dress up in the evenings for dinner, although I did see less tuxes and gowns then you might on a different ship.

We sailed to Alaska last May and it is less formal than most of the Caribbean. Husband just wore shirt and tie, no jacket to dinner and he fit in with most everyone there. I did wear dresses on the formal nights but they weren't as formal as what I normally wear. Other nights, I did still wear capris and such as I would in the Caribbean. I would just wear a sweater set with the capris. It was fine temperature wise. Hope this helps some.

We always eat in the dining room for dinner, never the buffet. I love the experience of "dining" rather than just "eating" and don't mind dressing appropriately for the evening.

I just didn't know if short sleeves and lighter clothing such as sandals are worn for dinner in the dining room in Alaska. I'm concerned that it will be too cold at night for capris compared to the Carib. I'll probably bring 1 capris/sandals and the rest long pants (non-jeans) for the non-formal nights. I'll throw in a pair of dressier pants and sparkly top for formal.

This is my 1st Princess cruise. For a 1 wk cruise on other lines, they typically have 2 formal nights, 1 semi-formal and 4 casual. What is the standard for Princess? Will it be the same?

For the casual nights, could we wear cargo type pants or would that be way too casual? They are always neatly pressed, but do have extra pockets on the thighs which make them look more casual than Docker-type pants.

Thanks for the advice! I've gotten so much info from my fellow CC-ers. It's wonderful.

We sailed to Alaska last May and it is less formal than most of the Caribbean. Husband just wore shirt and tie, no jacket to dinner and he fit in with most everyone there. I did wear dresses on the formal nights but they weren't as formal as what I normally wear. Other nights, I did still wear capris and such as I would in the Caribbean. I would just wear a sweater set with the capris. It was fine temperature wise. Hope this helps some.

Just wondering if you mean that for formal night your husband wore the shirt and tie but didn't bring a jacket. That would make packing so much easier....?

We're going to Alaska in May and my TA showed us pictures of their tour group on formal night (can't remember which Princess ship). I was surprised to see how casual they were for formal night. No tuxes - mostly sport coats and some ties - many without ties. The women's clothes looked liked dressy pant outfits and some not so dressy.

You said...This is my 1st Princess cruise. For a 1 wk cruise on other lines, they typically have 2 formal nights, 1 semi-formal and 4 casual. What is the standard for Princess? Will it be the same?

For the casual nights, could we wear cargo type pants or would that be way too casual? They are always neatly pressed, but do have extra pockets on the thighs which make them look more casual than Docker-type pants.

...Princess will have the 2 formal nights, but the rest will be resort casual (no semi-formal nights). The cargo pants will be just fine. Some people will be a bit more dressy, but a majority of the people will be in similar styled casual outfits. It's guite easy to look nice while remaining casually dressed, so don't let anyone make you feel bad by saying otherwise. We all have our own opinions, but Princess rules for the dining room clearly state the only thing not looked favorably upon is jeans and shorts. Have a great cruise!

Archived