Gluten Free food

Surfgirl

I'm cruising with someone with wheat intolerance. We've sailed together before, and had only minor difficulties finding things for her to eat. The dining staff was generally very helpful.

I e-mailed NCL to let them know that we'll be sailing again, and much to my surprise and delight, they e-mailed me back a list of everything from gluten-free waffles and bagels, to gluten free spaghetti. They said to have her pick out what she wants and they'll make sure it's on board.

She e-mailed them with the items she wanted, and now we're told that she'll have to pay EXTRA for gluten-free items? WHAT????!!! Could this be correct?

I'm cruising with someone with wheat intolerance. We've sailed together before, and had only minor difficulties finding things for her to eat. The dining staff was generally very helpful.

I e-mailed NCL to let them know that we'll be sailing again, and much to my surprise and delight, they e-mailed me back a list of everything from gluten-free waffles and bagels, to gluten free spaghetti. They said to have her pick out what she wants and they'll make sure it's on board.

She e-mailed them with the items she wanted, and now we're told that she'll have to pay EXTRA for gluten-free items? WHAT????!!! Could this be correct?

Who told you that there would be an extra charge? Generally, special dietary needs are included w/ your cruise...

It was an e-mail from the Spirit ship coordinator. She said that since this was a "special request" that it would cost extra and she is looking into how much.

Since 1 out of 270 people in the U.S. are celiac and have wheat intolerance, (even more common in Canada and England), I just can't imagine that they would charge extra to meet a relatively common dietary problem. It's not like she's ordering champagne or a Maine lobster, she just needs food without gluten.

My wife has celiac disease and when we sailed in November we made no special request in advance, but the dining staff was more than accomodating in helping her plan dinner every day and pointing out the gluten free alternatives for breakfast (generally just eggs/omelets and bacon) and lunch. Most of those items you mention were not among what was offered, so it may be that your friend will have to pay if she wants the additional variety. But as my wife can attest, the ordinary food carried always has something which is (or which can be prepared) gluten free.

Below is what I received in e-mail after my inquiry. I got another e-mail from the ship coordinator now saying that she thinks there is an extra charge, but not sure.

You're right, they're very accomodating in the dining rooms. We've sailed on Dawn and Crown, and they really did a good job. I just thought it was odd that they would offer this to us, and then tell us there would be an extra charge, and then tell us they weren't sure.

Sometimes it gets a little funny when we go on vacation. She once ordered a gluten free meal on an airline, and got a lovely fruit salad with a DINNER ROLL! :)

GLUTEN-FREE,BAGLE,TAPIOCA RICE,PLAIN,4/6/3.4OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,BREAD,RICE WHITE,1/6/1.35#

GLUTEN-FREE,BREAD, MULTIGRAIN,TRUE FIBRE, RICE,1/4/1.25#

GLUTEN-FREE,BUN HAMBURGER ,ALTA,4/6/3.6OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,BUN HOT DOG ,ALTA,4/6/2.13OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,MUFFIN, ENGLISH,ALTA,4/6/3.4OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,MUFFIN BLUEBERRY,6/3/0.13OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,PASTA,DRY, ELBOW,BIONATURAC ORGANIC,12/12OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,PASTA,DRY, FUSIL(SPIRALS),BIONATURAC ORGANIC,12/12OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,PASTA,DRY, PENNE,RIGATE,BIONATURAC ORGANIC,12/12OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,PASTA,DRY, ELBOW,SPAGHETTI,BIONATURAC ORGANIC,12/12OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,PIZZA CRUST, 7",3/6/6.4OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,SPICE,BLEND, CHICKEN FLAVORED,BROTH MIX,6/6OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,SPICE,BLEND, CAJUN,6/3.5OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,SPICE,BLEND, CREOLE,6/5OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,SPICE,BLEND, CLASSIC HERB,6/4OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,SPICE,BLEND, FAJITA,6/4.5OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,SPICE,BLEND, FRENCH ONION,SOUP MIX, 6/4OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,SPICE,BLEND, ITALIAN,6/2OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,SPICE,BLEND, JERK,CARIBBEAN,6/3.5OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,SPICE,BLEND, LEMON PEPPER,6/4OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,SPICE,BLEND, MONTEREY CHICKEN,6/5OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,SPICE,BLEND, MONTREAL,6/4OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,SPICE,BLEND, SAFFRON RICE,6/3.5OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,SPICE,BLEND, TACO,6/4.5OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,SPICE,BLEND, TEXAS MESQUITE RUB,6/5OZ

GLUTEN-FREE,WAFFLES, REGULAR,8/6/1.7OZ

My wife and daughter are both Celiacs. We just got back from the Pearl. They sent my wife the list of items before hand and were very accomidating on the ship. There was no extra charge. The staff helped them pick out gluten free items from the daily menu and adjusted some to make them gluten free. One night they made gluten free pasta in the La Caccina for them. As this condition gets more well known all the cruise companies will have special foods available. Currently in the USA 1 out of 130 is the current ratio of celiacs, but it is so poorly diagnosed that we see it hitting more the 1 out of every 100. My son also has it and has done extensive research on the subject. He has his own website just to help inform people of their choices. Good luck with your cruise surfgirl. Keep your friend safe.

engineer

Thanks, Engineer. Yes, you're right, it is getting more well known. When she was first diagnosed, she called me and said, "I have celiac sprue." My reaction was... "um.. what? Is that an exotic jungle disease?"

She used to have a really rough time finding gluten-free items. Now there's everything, even gluten free beer. I've tried a lot of her foods... she made a delicious chocolate cake and I couldn't tell the difference. The pasta is very good too.

She still has trouble at some restaurants because a lot of people don't understand. One time she ordered a salad and quizzed the server about the dressing. He assured her it was gluten free. But it came out with croutons.

The server said, "I can have them taken off for you." He really was trying to be helpful, but didn't understand about cross-contamination.

I'm glad to hear your wife and daughter were able to enjoy the food on the cruise. I know that the NCL dining staff goes out of their way to try to help.

Surgirl.....Speaking of beer. We got permissin to bring on our own gluten free beer. The Anheiser-Bush company has just started making a gluten free beer called Redbridge. It's very good and both my wife and daughter were able to enjoy it. The shore people were a little confused when we showed up with a cooler, but let us on when I showed them the letter from NCL allowing us to bring it. Let me know if anyone has any further questions.

engineer

We had a very positive experience on NCL when traveling with our 20 year old daughter who is gluten intollerant. We introduced ourselves to the assistant Maitre'd on the first day and each night he would show our daughter the menus for the next day Lunch and Dinner based on which restaurant we thought we would be eating at and he would indicate which items were (or could be made) gluten free. My daughter would then give him her selections for the next day.

On the next day and night when we went to eat, we would introduce ourselves to the head waiter in that dining room and they would ensure that the previously chosen food showed up. We got to know one of the speciality restaurant chefs quite well and he would come tableside to ensure that we got what was ordered. On more than one occasion they prepared special (not on the menu) options for her. Once when the chefs were doing food demonstrations the really Terrific chef mentioned to my daughter that it was ok to eat what he was preparing as it was gluten free. At the chocolate buffet a chef personally showed her what she could and couldn't have.

To say the least, we were very impressed and we did no have to pay more to have gluten free food choices for her. We showed our thanks with some extra tip money at the end on the cruise.

I think that the secret is to establish a dialogue with the Maitre'd at the outset and ask what to have to do to make it happen

Great sailing to all

My mother has Celiac and 2 years we went on the NCL Star. We did not mention to anyone about her problem. She just chose things off the menu that did not include gravy, icecream, breads, etc. One day one of the waiters suggested something and then my mother said "oh I can't have that, it has wheat in it". Well, the waiter hightailed it to the head waiter, which in turn hightailed it to the maitre'd. When the maitre'd showed up at our table, he was not too happy with us. We should have told him at the beginning of the cruise that she couldn't have wheat. They explained to us that there is a special place in the kitchen where they prepare these special kind of meals. How did we know. I had contacted NCL before we had left home and they didn't understand what I was talking about. Last year, we went on the HAL Zuiderdam to Alaska and again I contacted head office and they said they couldn't do anything for my mother with respect to the food issues. Once onboard, we told our waiter the deal and the head waiter came over and explained to us that they have rice bread (she didn't trust them, but had some anyway), and brought that to the table every night. This time to Alaska, I contacted head office and they had sent me the list of things (gluten free) and it did not say she had to pay for any of it. We will see how things go.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, everyone. I really do appreciate it.

We love Japanese food. Does anyone know if the soy sauce has wheat gluten in it? Since we'll be on the Spirit, we've GOT to go to the Japanese restaurant! I know some brands do and some don't. Kikkoman is a no-no, but La Choy, I think, is fine... but La Choy is Chinese. I'm wondering what NCL uses.

And wow... that's quite impressive that they have a whole special area to prepare gluten free food. I guess they really understand the cross-contamination problem That's so nice to hear!

We almost went on MSC Opera in December, but when I called about the food, they didn't have a clue about gluten free. Their menus were full of pasta. Since the MSC staff, I'm told is Italian and many don't speak English, we decided not to go because we didn't want her to get sick.

I'm sailing with a girlfriend who has celiac. I know she's not supposed to have wheat but she eats bread all the time. Other times she'll say, "I can't have that." Well, it's her choice really.

I enjoyed this thread and I've sent her several of the comments. For her health, I hope she sticks to her GF diet.

It was good to know they have a separate area to prepare GF meals, as many people look skeptical when we talk about cross-contamination.

We sail on March 25th to South America! Counting down the days!!!

• 1 month later...
It was an e-mail from the Spirit ship coordinator. She said that since this was a "special request" that it would cost extra and she is looking into how much.

Since 1 out of 270 people in the U.S. are celiac and have wheat intolerance, (even more common in Canada and England), I just can't imagine that they would charge extra to meet a relatively common dietary problem. It's not like she's ordering champagne or a Maine lobster, she just needs food without gluten.

It's actually more prevalent now. 1 out of every 120 has the genes for it, and experts predict that within a few years actual cases will match (or be very close).

Perhaps not as imminently deadly as a peanut allergy, CD is far more prevalent, so you'd think cruiselines would go out of their way to make sure cruisers have a gluten-free option. Carnival told me just to inform my waiter and the maitr'd and they'd help.

PF Changs has a GF menu. If they can do it, so can the cruiselines.

• 1 month later...

We sailed NCL in July 2006. The gluten free items we provided at no additional cost. They were excellent. Gluten free waffles, pizza, sandwich rolls. It made me feel less guilty knowing my wife had something to enjoy.

We're doing HAL to Alaska this July. They have a list and if you exceed a set amount per area, they will add a charge. The amount seemed well within normal limits. We shall see.

In the gluten free world, RCCI was good, NCL was great. Notify them in advance, although in the first two cases this info was misplaced and it was like no notice had been given and things still worked out well. Meet with the Maitre'd once you're on board, he'll help set up the special arrangements needed.

• 1 month later...

We're back and will rank HAL at the bottom of our list for dealing with gluten free. It took half the week just to get the idea accross and they had received our pre-cruise faxed request. RCI and Norwegian both did better and they hadn't received the notifications we had sent. NCL the winner of the three. Who should we try next. If my wife isn't happy with her food, its hard to enjoy mine.

I'm sorry to hear your wife's food intolerance wasn't taken care of on HAL. I'm surprised, as I thought that all of the cruise ships had gotten up to speed on gluten free diets.

We've now sailed with NCL four times, and each time they have gone out of their way to accomodate.

We're considering Cunard next... specifically the Queen Mary II. Has anybody had experience with special diets on board Cunard?

My wife, son & daughter all have celiac and when we were on NCL we were taken care of very well. One night we ate in the Italian restraunt and the noodles for the girls were gluten free. They went out of their way at every turn. They allowed us to bring some gluten free beer on board since they did not stock any. My son has a web site that he put together that helps people with celiac. ( http://www.geocities.com/ashtabulaceliacs ) Check it out. He makes no money from this. Its just his way of getting the word out about this condition.

Good luck to all of you Celiac cruisers. Don't be afraid or ashame to ask for what you want.

engineer

Our friends sailed with us on Princess a couple years ago and the husband needed a gluten free diet. They treated him exceptionally well. The maitre d was always aware of his needs and asking him if he needed anything. We did traditional dining so he could get this type of treatment.

They had pre-ordered many gluten free products for him because he notified them in advance.

They had pre-ordered many gluten free products for him because he notified them in advance.

I believe that is the most important thing anyone can do if they need any kind of special treatment, give advance warning.:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Of our three cruises we informed all in advance. Oddly it was HAL, the one that actually said they received the notice, that provided the poorest service. We'll still be making the advance notice for future cruises, but we'll be prepared to continue to provide what seems like on-going instruction to the waitstaff once we board.

Must find something great for 2008.

Archived