Cruzn w/80 yr. old Dad...Tips?

susiep

I am cruising to Alaska with my 80 year old father on HAL in Aug. Please send info to make this a wonderful trip for him. He has difficulty walking a long distance but is determined to have fun. He has a room with a veranda, so we will not have to rush on deck for viewing scenery. Any tips to make this easier and fun for him ....dining, tours aboard, shows, clubs for dancing (where the senior ladies hang out;) ), sight seeing, and general info. My daughter is traveling with us...she's 28 and will be a great help. Thanks :) susiep

We took my 86 year old mother on a cruise to Mexico last year. She also has trouble walking great distances, but amazingly she did really well. In Alaska you should do the train in Skagway. I think there are plenty of excursion choices that don't involve much walking.

We moved slowly everywhere we went, but we got there. It helps if the cabin is centrally located on the ship. Then you don't have those long hallways.

The Ocean Bar before dinner would be a good place to take him to meet the ladies. There are plenty.

Have fun.

:)

You didn't mention which ports you will be visiting in Alaska.

Do agree that if you go to Skagway - the White Pass Railroad is great. Beautiful scenery up and down. Have done it a couple of times. Afterwards go to the Red Onion Saloon for a drink.

Juneau and Sitka - both have whale watching excursions that are fabulous. Have done the whale watching once in Juneau (Captain Larry's) and the Sea Otter and Wildlife tour in Sitka twice - loved them all. In Juneau there is also Mendenhall Glacier - walking. And the Red Dog Saloon - around 2 PM become part of the show. Sitka is known for its Russian Heritage.

Ketchikan - Totem Bight and Saxmon Village. Best shopping port. If your father could walk a distance at a slow pace, Creek Street and Dolly's House are great. There is a horse drawn carriage that leaves from the pier and takes you all around Ketchikan.

:)

There is great music in many of the lounges. If your Dad likes Big Band, we found the Ocean Bar to more than accomodating - while also playing a good variety of music that is appealing to my parents, who are in their late 70's.

On our Maasdam cruise this past April, we thought the duo in the Crow's Nest were fantastic. There are also the strings in the Explorer Lounge, which are unmatched, IMO.

I think your Dad will have a great time - some of our fondest cruise memories were with those pax who were the same age as my folks. We truly enjoy their company, whether it be in the dining room or at one of the bars - we made many friends we are still in touch with - even to this day...

My Mom doesn't get around very well and my Dad is suffering form advanced stages of Macular Degeneration - they love to cruise, we've found it to be so much easier for them when they are with us. We've also found the HAL crew to go above and beyond when it comes to assisting them. They don't like to be fussed over at all - and the HAL staff have a way of helping unobtrusively.

My parents also love spending this time with our kids (15 & 11) who are also very helpful to them without them having to ask DH or I. My daughter punches my Dad's bingo cards for him - he's pretty lucky at bingo too!

I hope you enjoy your cruise with your Dad. Undoubtably, there will be many fellow pax he will get to know and enjoy, in addition to spending time with you and your daughter! :)

My Dad also can't get around a great deal, which is why a cruise with a balcony stateroom is such a good vacation for him and my mom. You might consider renting a wheelchair for your dad, so he doesn't have to miss sightseeing in port or get exhausted hoofing it from the dining room to the Crow's Nest. That's what we did, even though Dad doesn't use a chair at home.

Holland America's Accessibility and Compliance Dept. at Phone: 1-800-547-8493 can tell you which rental company they use. (It may have changed and I don't want to give you inaccurate info.) The cost for a one-week rental was about $100, including delivery and pick-up. The chair will be waiting in your stateroom when you board.

As far as excursions go, I agree that the White Pass Railroad in Skagway is a good choice for less active passengers, as is the whale watch in Juneau. You can also just catch one of the many buses to Mendenhall Glacier, although it is a bit of a hike from the parking lot to the visitor's center (a wheelchair would come in handy here).

Happy cruising,

Susan

Thank you to all who replied to cruising with my 80 year old dad. We will take all your recommendations since we had no clue where to start. The tours sound perfect........you made a difference in our cruise. Thank you. Susan:D :D :D

Thank you to all who replied to cruising with my 80 year old dad. We will take all your recommendations since we had no clue where to start. The tours sound perfect........you made a difference in our cruise. Thank you. Susan:D :D :D

Susan-

I hope you have a great cruise with your Dad - sounds like he may like cruising HAL... also, welcome to the boards! :)

Archived