Searching for Passengers left @ Port

cdnprincess

Okay, I have read this entire thread and followed it for a few days. I wasn't going to post, but figured, why not?? My post is my humble opinion only.......

If I were to be in the OP's shoes with the same level of cruising experience, I believe I would expect some sort of compensation also. Now, I am not THAT experience with cruising, but I did learn (ONLY from these boards many years ago) to travel the day before. Had I not been an avid reader of message boards, that fact would have never occured to me.

If I was travelling from as far as she was, had the same level of experience, and I booked a Carnival transfer, I would have relied on what the Carnival staff aboard said also. I know that ANYTHING you do, ANYWHERE you go, the fine print resolves ANY SORT of liability. To me, it seems it would be a good will gesture of Carnival to extend some sort of compensation ALL THINGS BEING AS THE OP DESCRIBED.

Okay....this is where I disagree with the OP. In one of the above posts, she states she doesn't want a future cruise voucher. THAT is where I have to say that I disagree. Because of the fine print, etc, a voucher would seem acceptable to me as a good will gesture.

I know....I know.....this is not the "correct" legal answer, but my opinion of an appropriate good will gesture AND my OPINION only.....

Happy Cruising!

I agree. I've also read this entire thread with great interest and believe that in selling a transfer as part of the package and providing employees in Carnival uniforms, there was more than reason to expect that she was in Carnival's custody and the ship should have waited.

Cdnprincess - I hope you will be treated well by Carnival once this is brought to the attention of someone with some customer service clout.

I agree about the expiration date on the voucher issue. I would want something that didn't expire in a year. I am a single mom and understand how things have to tie together, but I also still understand there is fine print. With all that went on with Carnival employees being on the bus, etc, I do feel they owe you some sort of good will gesture. I don't know about the cash refund and reimbursement of other expenses. At some stage of the game the fine print comes into play and you have to chalk it up to an experience learned. I have learned some expensive lessons, and I hate this happened to you.

I don't know what to say about the travel agent and what to expect from them. I have never used a travel agent and just don't even want to comment.

I would like to say I hope you get some compensation. I do believe you are due something as a good will gesture.

*I don't know what to say about the travel agent and what to expect from them. I have never used a travel agent and just don't even want to comment.*

When I travel I usually don't use a travel agent and check stuff on-line. This time I decided to because last time I took a cruise was almost 10 yrs ago and before 9-11 so I was not sure what I needed to do. I would have probably not be having this problem had I did this on my own!!

believe that in selling a transfer as part of the package and providing employees in Carnival uniforms, there was more than reason to expect that she was in Carnival's custody and the ship should have waited.

So if they bought cruise air, and put the flight attendants in CCL uniforms, the ship should be held also if the flight is late?

Fine print people! Read it.

Steve

PS. I am just thinking how a jury would have to think.

You know I am kind of, sort of, maybe marginally with you when you say Carnival isn't legally responsible because of the fine print. But (setting aside the facts that the OP has stated she has no intention of suing and that this kind of case almost certainly would never be heard by a jury) I would think that she would have a very strong case in front of a jury. All she would need to show is that (1) an employee of big, rich corporation lied to her by telling her that they would make the ship and that the ship was waiting and (2) that because the OP relied on that lie, the OP was unable to make altenate travel plans (e.g. jumping in a cab) which might have gotten her to the pier on time.

I have asked for full re-imbursment. I will not get it but it won't hurt to ask. I don't know what would be acceptable. I don't want a voucher for a future cruise.

I did not have insurance. We were told it would not have made a difference because they are not taking responsibility for the delay, they are blaming the airlines and that is not covered (unless you know otherwise). I was told by customer service at the Carnival 1-800 number.

You will be lucky to get a 10% voucher IMHO.

Thet are correct in blaming the airlines.

As far as insurance goes please read......

E. TRAVEL DELAY COVERAGE*

Coverage under the program will pay on a one-time basis up to the maximum amount listed in Your Letter of Confirmation for reasonable, additional accommodation and traveling expenses due to a departure delay of 6 or more hours. Prepaid expenses are not covered. Expenses must be incurred by You. Payments for the above expenses will not exceed $150 per day per person.

Covered reasons for Travel Delay are:

1. Carrier caused delay (including bad weather);
  2. Lost or stolen passports, money, or travel documents;
  3. Quarantine;
  4. Hijacking;
  5. Unannounced strikes;
  6. Natural disaster; or
  7. Civil disorder or unrest.

Benefits are payable under either Travel Delay or Missed Connection for any one incident resulting in a delay. No coverage will be provided for loss(es) due to any General Program Exclusion.

Please refer to Your Letter of Confirmation to determine which benefits are specifically included within the plan You purchased and their corresponding maximum amount of coverage. ........

So yes, the insurance would have paid. Do you know that a traffic accident ahead of you on a highway causing you to be late is also covered?

So since you did not have insurance, you expect to be compensated otherwise.

I hope you get it.

Steve <----just be devils advocate:D

So if they bought cruise air, and put the flight attendants in CCL uniforms, the ship should be held also if the flight is late?

Steve

Tell me Steve, do you, or have you in the past , worked for Carnival? In all these pages of posts, you seem to be the only one who doesnt empathize with the op. I know you keep referring to the fine print, but since so many different travellers were affected by this miscalculation by a Carnival-endorsed transfer, I'm pretty sure they will give some type of reimbursement. You seem to be alone in your opinion that they owe her nothing.

Steve

What?!

She introduced herself as a Carnival Supervisor. Should I not have believed her? Does it say anywhere in the "fine print" that they can lie and decieve? There were 6 people there before we left the airport. 4 were Carnival employees (who were clearly dressed in Carnival clothing and told us they worked for Carnival), one was the bus driver (I can't remember what he was wearing) and the final woman was in a yellow shirt with the name Mear on it. I am not aware of any large companies who give out their uniforms to people who are not employees.

I am not aware of any large companies who give out their uniforms to people who are not employees.

Wrong again.... Many companies allow contractors to wear corporate clothing, here is a cut and paste from Carnival's contract:

Guest further acknowledges that although independent contractors or their employees may use signage or clothing which contain the name “Carnival” or other related trade names or logos, the independent contractor status remains unchanged. Independent contractors, their employees and assistants are not agents, servants or employees of Carnival and have no authority to act on behalf of Carnival.

Tell me Steve, do you, or have you in the past , worked for Carnival? In all these pages of posts, you seem to be the only one who doesnt empathize with the op. I know you keep referring to the fine print, but since so many different travellers were affected by this miscalculation by a Carnival-endorsed transfer, I'm pretty sure they will give some type of reimbursement. You seem to be alone in your opinion that they owe her nothing.

Went to law school!

Steve

Covered reasons for Travel Delay are:

1. Carrier caused delay (including bad weather);
  2. Lost or stolen passports, money, or travel documents;
  3. Quarantine;
  4. Hijacking;
  5. Unannounced strikes;
  6. Natural disaster; or
  7. Civil disorder or unrest.

I have checked Carnival's site and it does not say anything about covering if Carrier caused the delay. Only if it was an accident/bad weather/hijacking and other things. The fact that the rep decided to wait would not have been included. It really is a fine line and I would still have to fight it. When one of the passengers asked about insurance, an answer was not really given so I don't think insurance would have helped. Did you get this info in an insurance package or on the internet?

Carnival is also not admitting any fault so it still would have been quite a fight. I am asking for a full re-imbursment (I know wishfull thinking) but all I want is the hotel bill amount which is about $300 US. I am hoping that the airlines/cruise/travel agent will all at least amount to that.

Do you work for Carnival? You seem to know quite alot.

Oops saw your post. Now I understand your cross examination. I think I would have been thrown out of court because you really have me pulling out my hair!!

Wrong again.... Many companies allow contractors to wear corporate clothing, here is a cut and paste from Carnival's contract:

Guest further acknowledges that although independent contractors or their employees may use signage or clothing which contain the name “Carnival” or other related trade names or logos, the independent contractor status remains unchanged. Independent contractors, their employees and assistants are not agents, servants or employees of Carnival and have no authority to act on behalf of Carnival.

Even thought she said she WAS a Carnival Supervisor? and it was under her authority to delay the bus?

He is not alone, I agree with Steve (it happens), if Carnival's contract was upheld by a court, they owe the OP absolutely nothing!!! Here is another cut and pasted from the contract:

13. (a)Guest acknowledges that all Shore excursions/tours (whether conducted in the water, on land or by air), airline flights and ground transportation, as well as the ship’s physician, nurse and on board concessions (including but not limited to, the gift shops, spa, beauty salon, fitness center, golf and art programs, video/snorkel concession) are either operated by or are independent contractors. Carnival neither supervises nor controls their actions, nor makes any representation either express or implied as to their suitability. Carnival, in arranging for the services called for by the physician or nurse, all on board concessions, all shore excursion/tour tickets, all pre and post cruise airline flights or other transportation off of the ship and its tenders, does so only as a convenience for the Guest and Guests are free to use or not use these services. Guest agrees that Carnival assumes no responsibility, does not guarantee performance and in no event shall be liable for any negligent or intentional acts or omissions, loss, damage, injury or delay to Guest and/or Guest’s baggage, property or effects in connection with said services. Guests use the services of all independent contractors at the Guest’s sole risk. Independent contractors are entitled to make a proper charge for any service performed with respect to a Guest.

Even thought she said she WAS a Carnival Supervisor? and it was under her authority to delay the bus?

Do you have it recorded? Do you have independent (not your spouse) names that witnessed it? Do you have it in writing? All she has to do is say YOU misunderstood. Even the contract allows her to use a Carnival uniform and the name of carnival, but could very well be a supervisor for whoever contracted with Carnival...

This is what upsets me about big corporations. They use the fine print to get out of doing the right (moral) action. We normally do not have an attorney go through all of the fine print, when planning a vacation. What one might gain in a legal argument is lost, when it comes to doing the right thing by people. Carnival may use the fine print to keep from doing what is right, or maybe despite some fine print, they will compensate the OP, we will have to wait and see.

I have checked Carnival's site and it does not say anything about covering if Carrier caused the delay. Only if it was an accident/bad weather/hijacking and other things.!

Sorry to cause you grief but I guess I am trying to prep you for trial.

You keep missing the point.The travel delay was the "Airline".

You needed to be on the ship at 3pm.One hour prior to departure and since your flight arrived late you did not make it to the bus until 2.50 which gave you only 10 minutes to make the printed arrival times,which is impossible since it is 45 miles away.

An airline delay is covered.

Steve

This is what upsets me about big corporations. They use the fine print to get out of doing the right (moral) action. We normally do not have an attorney go through all of the fine print, when planning a vacation. What one might gain in a legal argument is lost, when it comes to doing the right thing by people. Carnival may use the fine print to keep from doing what is right, or maybe despite some fine print, they will compensate the OP, we will have to wait and see.

I 100% agree and have been the victim of Carnival's fine print and am very vocal about how their customer service and guest relations department SUPERSUCK!!! The PVPs and Marketing people are busting their butts to get people to cruise, the guest relations department leaves such a bad taste in people's mouths, like me, my next cruise will be with RCI...

so with all the info I have here today. Even getting insurance would not have helped. With all the fine print it looks like it would have been ineffective.

Carinval employees are not Carnival employees so it is not our fault. I never thought cruising was so exhausting. I think I will stick to my resorts where I know they will not float away. This was supposed to be a relaxing mini holiday after a very tough year and I am more stressed than before.

Thanks for the help.

Big corps are always a target for suits.

If the OP bought insurance,this would be a mute point. This is a reason why you purchase it. If you rent a car and total it and you did not take the insurance and you get a bill for it,do you blame the rain for making the road slick?

Let me ask you...What is the purpose of insurance then?

Steve

so with all the info I have here today. Even getting insurance would not have helped. With all the fine print it looks like it would have been ineffective.

I used to work for insurance companies. Your situation is 100% coverable as a common carrier weather caused delay.

Steve

Carinval employees are not Carnival employees so it is not our fault. I never thought cruising was so exhausting. I think I will stick to my resorts where I know they will not float away. This was supposed to be a relaxing mini holiday after a very tough year and I am more stressed than before.

Thanks for the help.

If you would have purchased "cruise travel insurance" it would have been 100% covered under trip delay - no matter whose fault...

but the weather did not cause the delay.

the phantom carnival employee did.

Does not matter, whether is was the weather, the airline, the bus, the phantom employee, you arrived late. You would have been covered - had you the insurance...

Steve

I could of sworn I've read that the ship does wait for late passengers coming off airlines that was part of the cruiseair package. Am I wrong? So when does the ship wait for passengers? Cause now I'm confused.

Archived